• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

[Build thread] Tricopter for beginner.

Vr5fx

Bahaha. The first day went well.

Used 3 packs practicing, but I have now noticed I'm getting servo wobble, tweaked some settings and it calmed down. 

Then I hit a tree. Bent a motor mount and broke a prop.

All fixed now, so I can have another try tomorrow. :hahadance:

I cut down an old car battery tray and attached it to the underside, so the packs hold in place nicely. And added a thin piece of clear acrylic above the KK2.

DSC_0039_zps449ettzx.jpg

DSC_0040_zps9ycqaw1t.jpg

:hahadance:

Put 3 packs through with only minor issues.

One of the motors lost 2 screws, and the remaining 2 were very lose. I could hear rattling (it's on one of the clips somewhere) so landed it and found that in time. :sweatdrop:

I'll be thread locking them soon.

My other issue, which is unresolved, is that I have 3 different packs, a 2600, 3000 and a 4000. When I use the 4000 pack, I get considerable servo wobble, it doesn't affect the flight so much, but it is clearly visible that it is oscillating. Could this be down to the extra weight?

I've solved the servo wobble issue, I changed props to ones that are slightly larger and it has settled down on the larger pack.

I've now put through around 15 packs with no big issues and no crashes.

I have tried to activate the self level while in SAFE, but when I take off it goes pretty much wonky and isn't at all level. I imagine that is because I have the TX trimmed for the adjustments rather than the KK2. This will be my next thing to sort out.

I made a carry case for it, which was quite fun, works as needed so I don't damage it while I walk. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

I've also got a camera gimble set up for it, it needs some minor tweaks but I got it working. It should hopefully sort out the jello on the videos too.

Got a new video, I don't understand why I'm still getting jelly on the cam. I've balanced the props and I'm using a gimble that has shock absorbers. And the cam is sat on foam padding.

On a side note, here is my carry case I made.

DSC_0043_zpsuuw8kk1l.jpg

DSC_0045_zpsewut3yjj.jpg

DSC_0047_zpszfsd23sy.jpg

DSC_0048_zps4f9hvozw.jpg

Woop woop

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it's great. I haven't updated lately because it doesn't seem much interest is in it.

It has changed a lot since last update, mainly the servo at the back, the micro one (it cost 17 quid) wasn't up to the job even though it was a metal geared jobby, so I modded it and put a 1/8 alturn in. Much smoother to control.

I've had a fair few crashes, few from mistake, more me being a nob. I went for a speed run yesterday, first attempt smashed the front up, bent a motor mount 90* and took some brute force to get her fly worthy again. She's being stripped down tomorrow for a better assessment.

I need more props too, as I keep breaking mine.

Oh, I also have another tri in the works. Which I hope to get into a T/Y6 down the line. :D

Are you running the same props all around or using a clockwise prop to counter yaw? Get a load of props in any way!

I've got one running CCW, this is the prop that always seems to break when I kiss the floor. I broke about 7 props on Sunday. :whistling:

I'm waiting for an order to show from HK, then I will have 2 tricopters to play with. I'll get some fresh pics up soon, then maybe next month I'll invest in FPV gear. :thumbsup:

Have you tried avoiding the ground? ;) pmsl!

I should get back onto my tri, still trying to get the quads reliably airbourne

• 5 weeks later...

Been a while, but I no longer have a Tri, started to get quite heavy, it flew really well, but it needed more grunt. I modded the frame and made a V-tail.

Here is a small clip of the Tri in action. Didn't end well lol

Last week and this week I built this,

DSC_0205_zpsas1gvubp.jpg

DSC_0204_zpsy0p1knhr.jpg

DSC_0201_zpspblbja1z.jpg

DSC_0200_zps1qjej2sh.jpg