• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Psycho 4x4x4 (Tamiya Agrios) Build Thread

johninderby

Orange!

Mine's blue as I wanted a World Jump Record Holder replica.

I like the orange ......

Do that and you need the sponsor's NASCAR to go with it ..............................

Al.

Finished the axles. Ready to bolt the chassis and axles together now.

After I'd sorted out mounting the servos I couldn't decide how to do the linkage so I put it aside for a couple of days. I needed a way to keep the steering linkage clear of the suspension links. Finally decided to move the cross-links between the steering arms further back and higher out of the way. While the servos needed to connect to the steering arms in the stock location so as not to put too much strain on the servos I realised it didn't matter for the cross-links. Problem solved.

I made carbon fibre extensions to the steering arms and bolted them in place. For the cross-links links I used the 3mm threaded rod that came in the kit but put hollow carbon fibre rod over it and used Traxxas rod ends. Same for the servo link but had to use regular 3mm threaded rod as the kit parts were to short. The links are very stiff with no flexing.

With the servos being so close to the axles the fat shocks I'll be using wouldn't clear the servos so I made up little ali mounting plates that fastened to the stock shock mounts on the axles but will allow me to mount the shocks slightly forward.

John

Psycho-Axles-1_zpsc5dd5737.jpg

Psycho-Axle-3_zps0ff07bfc.jpg

Psycho-Axle-2_zps184249d4.jpg

Bolted the axles to the chassis and installed the shocks.Took a few hours of fiddling with spacers, relocating and modifying things slightly here and there until everything fitted just right. Unbelievably heavy. The wheels and tyres weigh over 3kg on their own. :shockingscary:

Now to finish the upper part of the chassis and I'll be ready for test fitting the body.

John

Psycho-Chassis_zps1bee2fe7.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

The 'trick', as done here, is in keeping the steering servos inboard - well done.

I used after-market carbon adaptors.

Looks great.

GO ORANGE!!

(Don't forget the NASCAR as well!!)

Al.

OK .... Finally photos of the finished project :yes:

Raining so just indoor photos for now. Test run down the hallway shows that the motors are just about right. I'll have to soften up the throttle and braking profiles though as with those big HEAVY wheels don't want to put too much sudden stain on the running gear.

The Rx and Tekin ESC are inside the big HPI waterproof box on top of the chassis. That Tekin ESC is incredibly tiny! The Turnigy UBEC has been sealed in waterproof silicone tape wrap and tied down just in front of the RX/ESC box. I'll have to get a longer servo extension lead for the rear servo though as the lead I'm using now is stretched tight.

The colour is four coats of PS-24 fluorescent orange followed by two coats of PS-7 orange and backed with white and then finished off in black. Gives a nice bright orange. That orange is really hard to photograph properly as it seems to change a lot depending on the angle that you look at it.

John

Psycho-b_zps7236ea48.jpg

Psycho-e_zps1ab32cd2.jpg

Psycho-a_zps4e86aae7.jpg

Psycho-d_zps5567d0e7.jpg

Psycho-c_zps7ef20618.jpg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1