• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Merlins on song

Noj

The day finally arrived, after months of waiting, for my taxy ride in 'Just Jane' at the Linclonshire Aviation Heritage Centre, ,operating from the former WW2 Bomber base of East Kirkby : http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/about/

Although NX611 never saw active service, she is kitted out and restored in late 1945 fashion. As a 'crew member' and guest, we had our mission briefing at 09:40, during which we were informed that the blue rope placed around Jane was ours to cross at will...

Two groups had taxy rides, mine being in the afternoon, so the following footage was taken of the morning 'riders' heading out:

th_DSCN2263_zpsa4caa20c.jpg

DSCN2262_zps475b71e5.jpg

th_DSCN2264_zpsb55d5a3f.jpg

(not got the most modern of digital cameras, so please forgive the slightly dubious sound/vision quality)

After lunch, I had my taxy and we got to look round the whole interior, and sit in each position (except the front nose gunner position). Pics of that to come, here's some footage our lass took of my taxy (she thought I was in the tail gunners position, however I was actually with two other 'crew' in the mid upper turret!)

th_DSCN2283_zps1a12f80e.jpg

th_DSCN2284_zpsf603bad1.jpg

th_DSCN2285_zps675b4273.jpg

A truly amazing and humbling experience. We paid our respects to the fallen, in the Chapel: over 800 men lost their lives in 21 months of ops from EK during WW2, contributing to the overall total of RAF personnel killed of over 55,500. Being inside the Lanc, it becomes all too apparent why so many crew perished, with a maximum 10 second window to exit the aircraft. So narrow, with huge obstacles (including the main spar and wing spar) to cross was a struggle in jeans and a t-shirt, let alone a full flying suit, sheepskin jacket, boots, mae west and parachute....

Sitting in the rear gunner position was truly frightening. The turret is open to the elements at both sides, and via the spent cartridge exhaust chutes. Flying at 20,000ft, the air temp would be - 40, your rubber air pipe would freeze, there was a risk of hypothermia and exposure (gunners smeared goose grease/vaseline on the exposed skin on their faces), the rubber on the goggles would freeze to the face, the electrical connections in your gloves and boots would short, causing you to start smoking, you couldn't get out for a pee, and had 3 minutes of ammo. A typical bombing run to Germany was a 9 hour round trip.

As the perspex windows froze, one squadron ordered removal of the centre section entirely to give clear line of sight. Any liquid coming from the aircraft (petrol, oil, the pilot's pee) would travel down the airframe, then blow straight into the rear gunner's face.....

Anyhoo, that's all for now, will sort out some pics of the interior etc in due course  :thumbsup:

Edited by Noj
  • Like 3

It was noisy, especially with the engines opened up, however the whole airframe and everything bolted to it creaks and bangs, especially when off the tarmac and onto the grass. 1.6mm of ally skin covers the frame, that's it; no sound proofing, lots of exposed wiring, the rods which control the rear fins, mounts for flares, parachutes, the homing pigeon... I have taken footage on my phone from inside the turret bubble, so that will hopefully convey some of the experience (albeit with chatter from us 'crew' lol).

You can pre-book a taxy ride, they sell out fast though! Or, if you're feeling particularly flush, it is possible to take an hour's flight on the Canadian Lanc (which is flying over to the UK this September, and will be pairing with the BBMF Lanc for a flyover of EK) for $2500 Canadian....THAT is on my bucket list ;)

Wow,what a treat,bet them Merlins sound real nice,i went on a B17 when I was over in the US,like you say in Wartime conditions hard to imaging what it must have been like at all.Nice one.

Goldman :030::fish:

Ok, here are some lovely close up shots of Just Jane:

LANC24_zpsf9b62f21.jpg

LANC20_zpsfdfaee14.jpg

LANC38_zps1889705e.jpg

LANC21_zps76cc7a90.jpg

LANC17_zps5f315227.jpg

LANC2_zps84c1b1d8.jpg

LANC3_zps8fe379ef.jpg

LANC4_zps26b834b5.jpg

hopefully this shows the gap between the rear turret and the rest of the aircraft

LANC43_zps1a014239.jpg

This is the chute for the expended .303/.50 cartridges, again, totally open to the ingress of outside air. 

LANC41_zpsa3cf6309.jpg

originally, lancs were fitted with quad .303 rear guns, however, these were swapped for twin .50 cal as the war progressed:

LANC44_zps534d9962.jpg

The Bomb bay; the Lanc was designed bomb bay first, and the rest of the aircraft was designed after this, clearly indicating it's exact purpose:

LANC35_zps26e117ba.jpg

LANC36_zps73d3d727.jpg

Bomb release mechanism:

LANC34_zpsf1dc2a0c.jpg

Loading instructions:

LANC37_zps55f67254.jpg

The front, looking up from ground level:

LANC23_zps62a47e04.jpg

Where I was standing for my taxy (note, gun barrels only are real, inside there is a crude wooden bracket to which they are attached)

LANC10_zps8a48a8dc.jpg

LANC5_zpscdd70f1d.jpg

NO idea who this bloke is, giving the international sign of metal to a photographer: 

LANC13_zps9d2a744d.jpg 

:whistling:

The museum's main hanger also plays home to some of the many, many recovered parts of downed aircraft, Allied and Axis:

LANC25_zpsd448fe3b.jpg

LANC26_zpse1d49f9f.jpg

LANC27_zps42e4b90f.jpg

LANC28_zpscbf6e6b0.jpg

LANC30_zps3fef1d07.jpg

LANC29_zps29a893d9.jpg

LANC63_zps005fa28c.jpg

LANC64_zps42649c3f.jpg

LANC65_zpsf63b1f58.jpg

LANC62_zpsac70b5d0.jpg

Spotted this RC beast also....a mark-1-tanks Tiger, 1/6th scale (where much of my hard earned was spent before returning to RC...)

LANC67_zpsb12911a6.jpg

Mark-1-tanks do the full metal, sixth scale RC tanks, and 1/4 scale also!! Sadly, the Tiger was oop last time I looked. Priced one up many moons ago, came to over 6k, iirc....so I never bothered.

I do have a sixth scale kit of a late model Tiger, boxed and in the loft (which I am sure comes as no surprise ;) ) made by Field of Armour and long OOP, hence incredibly rare (esp as I have the add on kit that was released, and a tub of zimmerit paste)... It could be built up as RC, although is abs plastic, not metal.

When we move, I may just have the room for it!!