• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Maverick vs FTX

Today i just found out abou the FTX Carnage Brushless! I was in love with the Maverick Strada XT, because it is cheap and has cheap spare parts available. 

But the FTX Carnage has alot of hop-up parts and comes with a LiPo and a LiPo charger in the box!

Is it better than the Maverick Strada XT Brushless? What do you guys thinks, which one should i get?

From my experience I'd go for the maverick. I've got a maverick atom that I've had 15 feet up off a 3 foot tall quarter pipe.That only blew the top off the shocks.I clipped a kerb with my ftx viper & destroyed the rear cage.I also ripped the wing off the viper doing about 10 mph.The ftx plastic's brittle.Maverick plastic's got some flex.

Jumped my FTX Viper, broke both front wishbones in the same place. Bought new set from MS and one has already broken again, same place! Stripped the whole thing now for spares.

From my experience I'd go for the maverick. I've got a maverick atom that I've had 15 feet up off a 3 foot tall quarter pipe.That only blew the top off the shocks.I clipped a kerb with my ftx viper & destroyed the rear cage.I also ripped the wing off the viper doing about 10 mph.The ftx plastic's brittle.Maverick plastic's got some flex.

The problem here is that neither company actually makes their cars - all are bought from or at least manufactured by various Chinese firms. Which means that its frequently found that the only thing two models from the same brand have in common is the name on the box. Experience comparing the Viper and Atom could mean nothing comparing the Strada and Carnage.

Anyway - the Carnage is better than the Strada, but its also more expensive. And in a nice example of 'getting what you pay for' its almost exactly as much better as it is more expensive. But the Strada is a decent platform.

That means if you've only got Strada money, get the Maverick and you'll be happy with it. If you can afford the FTX go for that, knowing its still good VFM and has greater potential.

I have the money for the Carnage, and it comes with a LiPo and LiPo charger, thats why i want it...The Maverick seems good but i'd have to buy a LiPo and a Charger.

Since i'm starting, i don't want to buy expensive stuff, i want to start cheap. Because all i want is to enjoy the hobby and in the future buy a good 8th scale.

If you're going for the Carnage I would suggest getting the brushed one, take the combo out and sell it and fit this combo instead:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__42935__Turnigy_TrackStar_Waterproof_1_10_Brushless_Power_System_3520KV_80A_UK_Warehouse_.html

I was going to go for the Trackstar badged combo that FTX fit as standard to the Carnage but I've heard that the can can't quite cope. The can in the above combo is a full 540 and has more grunt therefore is better suited to the application. I know you'll have to get a LiPo and charger but Turnigy packs are well priced and perform well and it's always worth getting a seperate charger as the RTR ones are only ok rather than good. 

The Carnage has it's lovers and it's haters but I think for the money it's a great lil truck IMHO.