• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dakar truck replica

Hi all im currently starting a project for the scx10 for a dakar truck i have a body but i want to know where i can get accessories for it or if i will have to custom make them like a light bar round the truck which some have

Any help i would be most greatfull or if anyone has done one could you send me a link to your thread so i can have a nose :)

The truck is a scania so i have been doing my research but found that not many scanias actually are in the dakar i could be wrong though ive just not found allot of them 

20131231-145229.jpg

I know this one aint a scania but been looking at the diffrent bars/lights the trucks have 

130712_silkway_01.jpg

So here is the body for the project will be striping it down and repainting and adding lights, I am also going to get a sound box for it so if anyone knows where i can get one i would be most great full 

IMAG0165.jpg

Edited by DR.Jan Itor

Thanks Gaz im might fire a few pms your way i would do it myself but just don't have a welder yet :( been watching loads of vids including Charley boormans race to Dakar series in 2006 shame he didn't finish it.

Ive orderd a 2014 sticker sheet so i can update the truck looking at tyres and try and get a few sets like the trucks use looking at rims but might just respray the ones i have or put the color of them into the color scheme so they match :) was going to get sand ladders but not see any on the body of the tracks unlike the Camel trophy Land rovers 

Going to look at stepping up the motor to something abit faster but that is a big maybe 

more to come when i think of anything 

Well here are some pics before i start getting her stripped down :)

Warning using a back up phone as mine broke so pictures will not be that great but the rest of the pictures i take ill grab my brothers camera :)

IMAG0162.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

Pete

Well its morning so can get a better look at it all its all been stripped down so no more stickers or extra parts are on it now im trying to see if i can take the cab apart is this possible ?

also can anyone recommend what sand paper to use and if i will need to use filler ?

a very fine say 600 sand maybe a 800 sand

you dont wanna go to crazy and start removing detail. 

the front driver side kiddie mirror needs moving off the truck, 

the first scania "axial" in image looks to be a G class ( tipper trucks and likes big 6x2) body. but it does have a R720 look to it also

if its a bruder and likes, they are plastic welded, bust out the airbrush and plenty of masking tape / fluid.

maybe even grab some plasticard and rebuild the front light fitting and bumper bar.

dip platsic into boiling water, straight out and onto a metal say ratchet head , few eleastic bands to keep it in place while it cools,

can give you some of the curves needed for the wrap from front to side on bumper bar

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

Stripped her down last night didn't take long :) will look at designs and come up with a basic one as im not that great at painting :) going to have another try tonight of getting the cab apart but may leave it for now 

Here some more pics of her stripped and cleaned up abit 

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Plenty of room inside for a sound unit possibly ;)

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

looks like its already modded. 

notice the front end inside, under the floorpan , see them two stubby round things with holes in.

they are shock mount tower poles.

notice at the bottom three smallish holes, these would have been raised or sunken pushclips.

the small space between the floorpan mould and the cab is lugged up, these lugs are then pressed with a hot iron to melt the platsics to each other and make a strong'ish join.

you could, dremel cut these with a very thin dremel disc. even when cut the main cab may not release from the floorpan/interior mould

thats really designed for 10th scale and will look a little silly on the dakar trucks of 1/14th or 1/16th.....

• 2 weeks later...