• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Baja 5b by RJJ

RJJ

No brushless setup I am afraid :)

Forgot to post these pics up yesterday.

My 1st reed engine, built on a syndicate reed case, matching billet head, pitdawg covers for the glam.

Its been built, ported and given a break in and tune by the man himself Chris Bartolone. I have his torpedo pipe for it as well.

Pics really don't do it justice, its beautiful and all custom blue, happy days.

'The heart and soul of my baja'

CB84BD98-C9DC-4DC2-BC36-04C4E3FBB05C_zps

39D02051-60FD-4E75-9C06-E9B061CF0BE5_zps

97CD4A25-506F-4A75-BEDD-1510CC263168_zps

• Like 1

This is by far the nicest build that I've seen. Great work!

Thankyou, means a lot to me as there are a lot of epic builds on forums :)

I had issues after issues with the rear end today. 

Maxhex had to be trimmed down to allow the turtle gear plate to seat flush and not bind the drivetrain up. Also there is very minimal clearance between the overkill arms and the spur cover which had to be trimmed, not nice when their sprayed up.

Successful heart transplant done and I am getting closer to a rolling chassis, :)

Turtle V2 clutch system in black plus their 1pc brake mount.

IMG_1618_zps57b86023.jpg

Otherside GBE engine mount installed.

IMG_1619_zps57c6f987.jpg

And I just had to see the spur gear cover on.

IMG_1621_zpsf3c27d55.jpg

• Like 1

Are you actually going to use it?

I always love 'shelf queen' looks, but I still like to have a 'reasonable bash', then have to clean up again.

Always that fine line just where you 'draw it'.

Great job.

Al.

• Like 1

Last stage of building shocks done and now I can finally mount the subassembly to the chassis for the last time. Next job is to plumb in the fuel tank and sort all the smaller jobs out.

Matching IRC big bores v3. Rear end is finished with Darksoul shock tower, H Bomb, and python wing mounts the last set they told me, got lucky :) 

imagejpg1_zps98aa197c.jpg

The IRC big bores have been fitted with progressive springs powder coated black. RS Fruitbat spring perches and titanium shafts purchased from Biscuits on baja forum uk. Have to say both items are really well machined and made. 

Titanium shaft is right one in pic, forgot to weigh it just remembered I should have lol. Swingy P cable limiters, really well made and great customer service.

imagejpg1_zps0df9ca18.jpg

Edited by RJJ

I hate your builds Rav, make anything else look weak and puny ;)

Ahh Noj, cheers matey, never my intention.

I just have to realise the vision, think about how to do things I want on the RC and then strive to achieve it.

For me I love that factory look although totally custom, everything should look like it was suppose to be there.

Edited by RJJ

the thought process shows Rav. Will this one be driven though, or merely remain resplendent in Blue beauty??  :tease:

That question, am purposely leaving till it's totally finished, but if your familiar with my losi build there are subtle hints as to if I will drive this one or let it take a spot next to the jester losi.

As they say it's all in the details :)

• Like 1

Big bore shocks all mounted up.

imagejpg1_zps4fcdd694.jpg

imagejpg2_zps66f22399.jpg

I had to use longer screws and tap into the front rpm slightly. I had to do this so the lower sway bar ball does not move under rotation of the lower limiting cable eyelet. On the rear the lower sway bar ball is against the lower arm. Also used washers between the limiting cable eyelets, rather have any rubbing on washers than the shock towers.

Sorry not best pic,

imagejpg3_zps77b8618a.jpg

Another angle, had a smile on my face with this pic, feel like it's coming together now :)

imagejpg1_zps094d2cc8.jpg

Edited by RJJ

Almost looks wrong to have plastic arms!!

I understand where you're going, if you ARE actually going to bash it, .... but .... 

Let's say it's just me being picky!!

Al.

• Like 1

I had a good look at the overkill upper front arms but I like the rears better just look more smoother than the chunky front ones. Another aspect I just don't like the way they look because they don't wrap around shock.

I looked at the vanquish front upper arms as I really like them, but you need the lowers and they are extended already so I decided to leave as rpm arms really are a quality product.

All fair point's dude and at the end of the day it's your build so do what you like. I love the front upper overkill's just too much money for me to spend on just arm's 

Either way I look forward to seeing this as much as I enjoyed seeing your 5ive at bashfest (also did you see the Nissan GTR parked by your tent? pretty  :sweeeet:)

• Like 1

All fair point's dude and at the end of the day it's your build so do what you like. I love the front upper overkill's just too much money for me to spend on just arm's

Either way I look forward to seeing this as much as I enjoyed seeing your 5ive at bashfest (also did you see the Nissan GTR parked by your tent? pretty :sweeeet:)

Cheers matey :), ahh you guys have made me rethink, just ordered the overkill front arms will get them done in blue, and may put them on the build but at least they will be here to complete the overkill setup.

One thing I have learnt is if you see really nice parts just get them, I know it gets expensive, but some of these lovely parts are only around in limited quantities and runs, then no more and you always then kick yourself for not getting them lol.

Yeah hard not to notice that GTR, will be out in it later :)

Edited by RJJ