• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Harvey Croft's Savage XL Octane Thread

HarveyC

Guys, can i ask how does everyone clean their Trucks? After running mine a little on the weekend the whole truck is well quite muddy. Is it safe to hose it down with water if i cover the engine, or is it better to wait for the mud to dry and try & brush it off...

Any ideas would help..

Hey Ian, good idea I will use a spray bottle....

Nah I havnt used the truck since the steering issue on the weekend. My radio arrives in a few days. So this weekend coming I will give it a good clean, re-bundle & tape up all the wires & install the new receiver & radio.

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

Can you do me a favour? I think when I reinstalled my throttle servo I am missing a clear rubber lug that goes on the small rod from the servo to the carb arm. Is there anyway you could take a photo of your throttle linkage set up and post up so I can see the standard set up?

Cheers Dave

• Like 2

Hi Ian,

Can you do me a favour? I think when I reinstalled my throttle servo I am missing a clear rubber lug that goes on the small rod from the servo to the carb arm. Is there anyway you could take a photo of your throttle linkage set up and post up so I can see the standard set up?

Cheers Dave

Hope this helps

DSC00276_zpsca1af635.jpg

DSC00277_zpsdb3954e5.jpg

Ian, i cant thank you enough for those pics...thats exactly what i needed. I am missing the rubber lug thats on the bar...

Can i ask, when you turn your controller & throttle servo on, does the arm on the carb move to open the carb a little or is it closed? Also when you squeeze the controller does the carb arm open all the way as mine seems to have a little further to fully open. Maybe because i am missing that lug..

When everything is off is the carb arm fully closed?

Again Ian thansk for your help..

• Like 1

If you look at the picture you will see that there is a small gap between the collete and the rubber tube so the carb. throttle is fully closed. That`s how it stays until I open the throttle. Yes the missing bit will make a difference on how much it opens.

If you get a bit of nitro fuel pipe cut it of to about 6mm then set your rod up the same as the picture you should be O/K

It`s a nitro wins day for me today, of down the field with 3 cars Octane, Blackout and nitro Savage that I rebuilt from a wreck.

Right I`ll give octane first run (I had turned the tuning in a bit) BIG mistake it started but all over the place trying to run of coughing and farting. So put the tuning back to how it was, so now decides to turn into an animal back flips front flips wheelieing all over the place but not changing gear properly.Still quite enjoyable.

Give salvage Savage a run bit lean at top end once adjusted runs as sweet as anything chandging gear and every thing.

Blackouts turn all good for a while but clutch is not disengaging properly. Then it stops will tick over o/k but try moving and it stalls clutch making som weird noises. Think I may have bought a dodgy one there.

I feel the Octane may have a mind of its own Ian!!! I may look at addid the Nitro Savage to my collection...or eevn the Traxxas stampede nitro...not sure

Yeah I still like it but it`s like a naughty child it wants to do it`s own thing but if you insist that it does what you want it, most of the time, it will sort of do what you want  :sly:

• 2 weeks later...

So I wrapped all my wires in Aliminium tape, and all good....my carb settings are still a bit to get right but will get there.....truck ran well, just need it to change to 2nd gear..

Pleased to hear that you are getting there :yes:

• Like 1

So my truck is running OK. When i use slight acceleration its all good just cruisen along. If i pull the trigger hard it does bog down almost stall, than re fire. Must be the carb settings. Just not sure whether its the High or Low i need to play with..

Edited by goldiedg

I would think its the high needle. Try it but just a little bit if it don`t make any difference take the needle bake to were you started and try the low needle. Just be careful just little bits.

Check your exhaust I am just sorting mine out. It had lost one of the springs and the seal was leaking this caused the same sort of problem you are saying in the end it would not start. If that is O/K just keep trying with the tuning.

Hey Ian,

Well funny you say that...I noticed today a lot of oil had leaked onto the engine. So I pulled the engine out, cleaned it and noticed the 2 screws that hold the exhaust on were quite lose. All tightened up and ready to run again.

• Like 1