• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi mini 8ight T

mydoddy69

Well just in from another bash this time unlike the others i took it to my local park no tarmac to run on just very short grass . There are some narrow paths with some steel fencing around the flower beds by now you know where this is going yes a clipped a fence not just sideways but almost head on, on the right hand side wheel at full beans resulting in a bent front dog bone ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!.. Out came the trusty pliers and a little bit of fussing and i managed to get it back straight enough.. Left the path and headed to the open grass area !!..

So gearing still the same only a flat surface no humps bumps or jumps but it was grass out side temp was 87f motor hit 148f at the end of a full 2s pack not to bad let it cool then ran the 3s, motor went through the roof on 198f NOT GOOD at all .. Now i know grass is a killer but it was very short, so short it wasn't even hitting the chassis underneath so i was a little shocked to see the temps go so high !!!..

On tarmac it runs cool as ice on grass its a killer on anything over a 2s with my current set up..

Speed and torque on a 2s is OK for the size of it, on 3s thou it comes alive again thou this is all just on my set up, only paying around 10 bucks for a 3s was no killer but i'm thinking of just ditching the 3s and running a higher gearing and just sticking to a 2s .. Don't get me wrong i love the speed of the 3s but i'm thinking no matter what little motor you get in this 3s is going to run hot as soon as you hit the grass ..

So i know some guys are dying to know how's the spur and mesh holding up ??.. Truth is its fine but when i hit the post it moved the motor and knocked my mesh out, thats how hard it hit!!.. Removed the cover and remeshed it and its fine again now but i'm not using any threadlock as these threads are so fine i don't want to strip them..Getting a good mesh is a fav thou with these super small teeth so i have found a neat trick.. the paper method leaves the gap to big so i used a small bit from a plastic bag works a treat for me and gives me a great mesh .. these spurs have a slight oval to them more than likely from the moulding process so if you find it on the spur and set your mesh there its much better or atleast thats what i find ..

So what's coming next for it ????

New servo is on the list, might go with a low profile one its not like i don't have room and i simple mounting plate could be made up save drilling any more holes ?? 

After bending the front dog i'll more than likely look into some cvd's just up front as i don't see the need for the rear at the minute.. 

Possibly some new springs on the rear but i may just leave them and play around with some oil's 

Tyres now there's a thing i can see these stock ones going bald quite quick on tarmac but they are pretty good as a allrounder unless its damp then there terrible.. I don't want anything super aggressive so depending at what's in stock i may try some calipers or some blocks still not sure..

Other than that its a blast nice fun little ride so far !!!

Edited by mydoddy69

Well today i modded my Mini 8ight-T :)

added was

Battery holder with velcro strap

Diff shims

EMB 19T Pinion

Hard shock springs all round

Roll bars front and rear

Hitec-225MG Servo

and swapped the EMB radio with the Spekky so i could run a better servo :)

and thats about it for today.

Well today i modded my Mini 8ight-T :)

added was

Battery holder with velcro strap

Diff shims

EMB 19T Pinion

Hard shock springs all round

Roll bars front and rear

Hitec-225MG Servo

and swapped the EMB radio with the Spekky so i could run a better servo :)

and thats about it for today.

You using the buggy sway bars ??

Instead of a strap i just used self adhesive velcro bit in the tray area and the other on the lipo, acts like a bit of a cushion ..

How you getting on with your spur any troubles ?? I keep getting grit in the mesh of mine so added some foam here and there stop any getting in ..

Have taken the plunge and ordered up another couple of motors as i'm not convinced this velineon as much good in it.. There both in and around the 4400kv mark and both 28mm cans but ones is a 4 pole the other a 2 pole so i'll see what's best and update as they come 

No problems with the spur so far :)

yeah am using the mini 8ight buggy sway bars and only thing had to do was move a turnbuckle to the next hole up on the front as it was catching on the sway bars ;)

will keep an eye on the motor part as im always up for better motors :) but have to say mine is doing an awesome job so far ;)

Just don't seem to be able to get it where I want it's either nice and quick on 3s but runs a little hot or I have to gear it up to the hill on 2s to get the speed but then the bottom end is terrible

Those emb pinions come in a pack of three? 3.17 bore? What's the teeth count on them ?

Motor I will keep you in the loop went with a little leopard 4 pole and a real cheap and cheerful hobbyking 2 pole which i ran in my old merv and was really happy with it ..

Just don't seem to be able to get it where I want it's either nice and quick on 3s but runs a little hot or I have to gear it up to the hill on 2s to get the speed but then the bottom end is terrible

Those emb pinions come in a pack of three? 3.17 bore? What's the teeth count on them ?

Motor I will keep you in the loop went with a little leopard 4 pole and a real cheap and cheerful hobbyking 2 pole which i ran in my old merv and was really happy with it ..

Yeah packs of 3 mate...

17, 18, 19T 

Have the 19 on mine ATM just for a trial :)

the hard springs and roll bars seem to be doing a job but may put a smaller size bar on the sway bars as it wants to grip roll now :( test and run test and run hahaha we will get there mate with a pair of decnt Mini 8ight-T's :)

Right been out blasting mine about and i'm sick to death with this bloody spur cover tried everything to seal it but i still seem to get tiny stones in it which then eat up my spur  :shockingscary: .. Simple answer i got so fed up taking it it off a left it off and guess what 2 packs down and not one single bit of trouble result !!.. 

One other thing i have noticed is the motor mount doesn't like to stay clamped down when your jumping, so i got rid of the silly washers replaced them with some plain ones a dab of blue thread lock and what do you know all sorted  :thumbsup:

Had so much fun now thou that i'm in need of some new rubber !!!!! :sweatdrop:

Be interesting to see how the 4 pole lc racing motor would be like in it, I think it would do a great job :)

I think hebby has tried his in one? and it didn't run that great from what I remember ..

Heard and read some good things about this leopard motor so I'm hoping it's the one for the job !.

I think hebby has tried his in one? and it didn't run that great from what I remember ..

Heard and read some good things about this leopard motor so I'm hoping it's the one for the job !.

Yeah the motor gets very hot like the stock Losi motor :( 

and im also in need of some new rubber :)

Thats not good then I really thought it would be better than the stock motor by along way, I hope a motor is found that works in this sounds like it could be the leopard motor then, have you ordered one?

Si

Conflicting information..... Is doddy that much more of a speed demon than Hebby??

Having just entered the dark and murky world of the truggy, I have been tempted by this...I shall continue to bide my time I think....

• Like 1

Conflicting information..... Is doddy that much more of a speed demon than Hebby??

Having just entered the dark and murky world of the truggy, I have been tempted by this...I shall continue to bide my time I think....

Im not right arsed about speed TBH would rather it run properly than go fast  :thumbsup:

mines good enough on 2s and 3s is fun 

Edited by hebby

I have ordered both motors and both have shipped now just got to wait for that long slow boat from china !!!! .

You can run the velineon on 3s speed is bang on what I wanted. I just don't like the temps but I'll own up since I ordered these other motors I have just been running 3s and paying no attention to what temps are..

I like speed but only to the point the truck dosen't self destruct I think constant 3s would kill this truck very quickly so a good 2s set up with the odd 3s for insanity runs is what's needed !!!. The velineon will do but I just can't find a good gearing for both 2s and 3s to play happy with at the same time and give me the performance I want, that's not too say others won't like it thou

It may well turn out I can't have my cake and eat it and I'll have to go one or the other but for a couple of quid worth a shot.

Edited by mydoddy69

I was never really that happy with my MERV on 3S. The M8T weights in about 20% heavier on the same velineon motor, so it is going to run hotter than in a MERV on 3S.

I'm sticking with 2S, though I might gear up a little if running on tarmac.

I was never really that happy with my MERV on 3S. The M8T weights in about 20% heavier on the same velineon motor, so it is going to run hotter than in a MERV on 3S.

I'm sticking with 2S, though I might gear up a little if running on tarmac.

Yeah I'm sticking to 2s :)

Mainly because I want to not destroy tyres on a single 3s pack and I have more 2s anyway :)

I'm a speed junkie then as 2s is a tad dull in my book.. Tyres ordered cvd's for the front ordered and a new servo sorted went with a 225mg .. Cvd's on there way from the states so there be a few weeks new rubber boots coming from good old JEModels so they may show tomorrow so chucked the stockers in some acetone as the rims are ok for another round 

Well all good servo showed and so did the new boots

DSC02429_zpsd32b672e.jpg

Went with these little beauties

DSC02430_zps56ccad11.jpg

DSC02427_zpsee17ceb5.jpg

DSC02428_zps8d9cbcff.jpg

Already been out and i have to say WOW there super grippy on grass and not to bad on gravel either not so great on tarmac but there OK certainly got some bite to them  :thumbsup: ..

• Like 3

Well the leopard motor has arrived but its not good news sorry..All excited i open it up to find both ends are not covered and the shaft is NOT a 3.175mm its a 4mm so now i need to either send it back or try and find some 4mm bore pinions 

DSC02437_zps161e7651.jpg

On another note thou i got the hitec servo in i just modified the little plastic horn it came with 

DSC02432_zps911d3a6d.jpg

DSC02431_zps3df92f5a.jpg

Finally it centre's up with ease  :thumbsup:

• Like 1