• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New to drifting

GilbertRC1

Hi guys,

A few weeks ago I was at a rc show where I met up with the guys from Radshaperc, they were very friendly and invited me to their shop in Birmingham to have a go at some crawling and drifting.

I already have a capable crawler but the closest thing I have to a drifter is a maverick strada tc evo.

This is a car I have had for a year now, when I bought I planned a brushless conversion and lots of over things, but other projects took over and it ended up sitting in a cupboard collecting dust.

However last week I decided I would turn my maverick into a drifter.

My project started with a new bodyshell which I finished painting a few days ago.

Having assessed the car I can see a few obvious issues.

1. The suspension is far to soft for a touring or drift car (my grasshopper has less suspension travel)

2. Needs more power! (I'm a cheap skate so I bought the brushed version)

3. Wheels and tyres, I know I need to fit drift tyres to make it drift well but the hexes are rather thick and make all wheels I put on it stick out further than I would like them to.

Hopefully you guys can help me with this

All the best

Ben.

Get some stiff springs for the suspension and if they're threaded, adjust them to the hardest setting.

Brushless combo is definitely the way to go, something like a 9/10T motor with a 60a ESC would be plenty on a 2s LiPo, great run times too.

Tyres for practice just buy cheap ones from China, I found them fine just to practice with, especially the rate you seem to go through them on tarmac as well.

Hexes you can buy different thickness alu ones on eBay, just be sure to get the correct hex size and look for the thickness you want.

I personally don't know what it's like to drift having never used one, seen one or even know what one is lol, aside from a touring car obviously.

So if it's not suitable (although most are purely to practice with) I'm sure someone will say.

Maybe worth buying the combo and stuff anyway then once you get better, buy a more suitable chassis as your skill progresses.

Righty

1. Drift cars go by a general rule of stiff rear and slightly softer front, damping is also another factor to consider that is done with shock oils, plenty of guides and opinions on this for springs and shock oils suitable for your needs!

2. Power wise, it seems 10.5t is the most popular choice, brushless sensored but this is down to you and what you want to do with the car, plenty of cheap combos available from the likes of speed passion etc.

3. Hex issue, these are generally rather chunky to allow for offset to fill drift bodies that are often 200mm wide, you can buy various offset wheels OR you could buy possibly thinner hex's, general size for touring cars is 4.5mm i believe .. 

hope that helps

Righty

1. Drift cars go by a general rule of stiff rear and slightly softer front, damping is also another factor to consider that is done with shock oils, plenty of guides and opinions on this for springs and shock oils suitable for your needs!

2. Power wise, it seems 10.5t is the most popular choice, brushless sensored but this is down to you and what you want to do with the car, plenty of cheap combos available from the likes of speed passion etc.

3. Hex issue, these are generally rather chunky to allow for offset to fill drift bodies that are often 200mm wide, you can buy various offset wheels OR you could buy possibly thinner hex's, general size for touring cars is 4.5mm i believe .. 

hope that helps

That is a very good point about the hexes.

Something I hadn't considered if he's not actually tried the new bodyshell yet.

That is a very good point about the hexes.

Something I hadn't considered if he's not actually tried the new bodyshell yet.

I have tried the body because I'm not intending on using body pins to secure it. I am instead using strong rare earth magnets.

Yeah the maverick strada TC will have standard size hex's so around 4mm to 4.5mm and the bodyshell will be 190mm, standard touring car tyres and wheels im not sure of the actual offset but obviously it fills the shell to an extent

as soon as you put any drift wheels on especially with a standard TC body they will often poke out.

Now im not sure how offset works in the RC Drift world, but in terms of the real cars, an offset of ET0 for example is the kinda wheel that you would end up using Arch extensions on, rolling your arches etc. (on a real car)

tidy! is that a 200mm shell or 190mm shell?

also go on soulRC's shop ..might be able to help with the correct offset wheels, hex's etc

Its a 200mm hpi body shell

Also my magnets arrived to day so I can get it mounted soon.

Ben.

• 3 weeks later...

Righty

hope that helps

Not true in regards to the suspension setup, a slightly thicker oil on front with a slightly stiffer spring will work better on any drift specific chassis, having stiffer shock setup on the rear will give your front end more grip making the transition harder to catch as the rear end will always want to let go.

Usually on concrete, such as radshape track or TRCC track I will run 350 oil front with a medium/soft spring and 250 rear with a soft/supersoft spring

• 3 months later...

hi guys, its been a long time since this thread was updated but i have finally got somewhere with this drift build, i have a brushless combo in mind that i will order soon and a 2s lipo on the way. As well as this the body is complete and mounted with the posts not the magnets. and a i found a way around the problem with the wheels jutting out. It turned out to just be the wheels i had on at the time and with the new fastrax drift wheels it looks great and drifts great to!

Here's a picture of the almost complete car.

IMG_0055_zpse622af0e.jpg

Ben.