• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Belt or shaft drive?

RCAdam

You've probably all heard this question billions, but I thought I'd ask  :yes:

I currently have the Maverick Strada DC Evo which has got me into drifting, but I'd like something a bit more advanced now. I'd also like to build it myself so I don't want another RTR. As I'm not going to do drifting as my main type of RC I'm looking at some of the cheaper chassis', such as these: http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-cars.html?car_scale=24&car_type=129&price=-100

I will only run this new one in my local Asda car park (which is very smooth) so i was wondering should I get another shaft drive or get a belt driven one? I understand you shouldn't run a belt drive where there is lots of loose stones, but people seem to prefer belt drive so I'd like to give it a go and would it be cheap to repair if a stone did get jammed? Or should I not risk it and get a shaft driven one? 

I know its long winded but thanks for reading, and which chassis from R2 should I get?

Only looking at the ones under

Edited by RCAdam

shaft drive the power is immediate, too much power you can get torque steer etc, general shaft driven stuff here. 

Belt driven is the way to go in my opinion, likelihood of getting a stone caught up is pretty rare as most will fall out of chassis holes before getting near belts anyway, and as you said your local asda is smooth i reckon youll be fine with belt driven cars.

if in doubt just buy a couple of spare front n rear belts, the usual stuff.

but ive never ripped a belt, even on less than ideal touring car racing surfaces where stones were flying.

• 4 weeks later...