• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Feedtheinferno's Tamiya 1/24 Skyline R34 GTR

Feedtheinferno

Well seeing as these are so cheap and in the past when I was much younger I did try and fail at painting these types of models I thought I would join in a give them a go. Hopefully being older means I have more patience for it and if it all goes well I would really like to make up a collection of these skylines as they are my favourite car by far (so much I am currently trying to buy a 1/1 R33 GTR)

Starting off the kit was purchased a few months ago by the wife for me at complete random so I have had this kit for about 5 months now, however seeing you guys put together your own with varying degrees of success has given me the motivation to give it a go. So yesterday I got the manual out, went to hobby craft and started buying! I didn't buy EVERY paint the manual told me too however I got everything I thought would allow me to make a nice looking first 1/24 static.

I got a few detailing brushes from a pound shop but for the really small stuff I got myself some fine detail brush's. The paint is all Tamiya Acrylic and I got some plastic cement and Tamiya Thinner.

The first thing I noticed is just how little paint it takes to paint a part and how long it takes if you are trying to do it perfectly. So thankfully it looks like a fair bit of this paint will be fine to use on quite a few models to come. Anyway for now here are some pictures. One is for scale, its the rear suspension set-up next to a staple.

UE2jp2q.jpgO6zREEO.jpggfjXUss.jpgavVEsRk.jpgcWdH1NP.jpg

• Like 2

i should of picked up more supplies when doing my rx7 lmfao 

i guess ill need thinners next time round

although i am hoping that these pens work out good and i can get a collection of em and colour a model that way instead! ill get far neater results i feel.

what colour ya doing the body

Edited by PurcyP

well this is what i thought you could thin acrylic with water but i guess with actual thinners it works better, i tried watering down paints and ended up too quickly being a sodding wash rather than paint lol

Well whilst buying the kit and watching a few videos on how it's done everyone suggested the thinners. I would imagine it splits the paint correctly for even distribution on what ever you are painting. There will be a reason for it.

In regards to the car colour, it's most likely going to be that greenish blue x-13 or the more bronze x-34, not decided yet.

Yes if you try to thin tamiya acrylics with water it dosnt break the paint down properly you would notice it when spraying it through a airbrush ends up clogging it up its funny with acrylics tamiya thinners dosnt thin Vallejo paint so you would need Vallejo thinner if going to Vallejo paint or there airbrush cleaner

Citadel and water works ok, nowt else. I only use the Vajello for dry brushing/high and low lights, so thinning isn't needed. Their inks are lovely to use, and the face shading works brilliantly....and that's where I need better skills....making plastic look like metal is a doddle, shading faces is tricky...

• 5 weeks later...

Love the Skyline

I need to get back into this, I have a WRC Subaru and 2 racing motorbikes to build, the Scooby is part painted from where I left off, maybe it's time to dust off my paint box, or should I get a new car to start with lol :whistling: