• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What would you have done?

norcoforever

This is going to seem odd, and i really don't want a slanging match, a member of my close family is a heavy drinker, very heavy drinker and has regularly drunk and driven, today i made the choice to report the member of the family to the police. all of us have tried talking to them and suggested they see someone to no avail, my fear is that they will have an accident and end up going to prision. if you knew someone was drink driving and you couldn't stop them what would you do?

Edited by norcoforever

Talk to them 1st then call the police that's my kid out there

Drink driving kills and not just you !!!

John

if you have tried to stop them and they wont listen imo you have no choice, if they killed somebody you would feel guilty as hell so

as horrible as it is you have made the right choice

Top banana to you fella I would have done the same.as said if he went and killed an entire family could you live with that knowing you could have prevented it.

No choice is easy, but if he causes an accident, he can easily kill himself and someone else as well. a simple call to police can save him and someone else too. You would regret not having done that when there was a choice for the rest of your life if he killed someone or died in a car accident.

Edited by Mr. Doktor

having lost a close member of my own family to a drink driver, if they didn't listen to me then i would have done the same thing.

as harsh as it does sound its the right thing, not only could you have saved someone's life but you may have also saved his/her own in the process aswell

As you have said,they wont listen,so as hard as it was to do,you have done the only thing that is right,they may well thank you one day for doing so.

Goldman :030::fish:

Take it from someone who knows and has been there.

You will never stop a drinker drinking. Only they can make the decision to get help. And when they do

be there to help them, there going to need it

Tough call but the right call....I appreciate how bad the fallout maybe, however, perhaps this will be that deciding factor that makes them seek proper help.

You know I lost my dad through alcoholism (secret from the family), an awful thing to watch someone die from... Here's to a better future for all parties :)

• Like 3

Kudos for the decision. I can appreciate t wasnt an easy one to make. It was the right choice though. It could be any one of us or our family / kids thats taken from this planet by drink driving.  :thumbsup:

Take it from someone who knows and has been there.

You will never stop a drinker drinking. Only they can make the decision to get help. And when they do

be there to help them, there going to need it

You can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped ;)

As for the drink driver I would be more worried of them killing someone rather than going to jail.

There's no excuse to drink and drive AT ALL!!

I was side swiped by a guy and he drove off so followed him whilst misses was on phone to police and giving them directions on where I was... Police came stopped me and the other driver saw my car and damage saw his car and damage and instantly realized the driver was absolutely bladderd WTF!

Worst part was the driver was on his way to work driving a truck.

I also lost my grandad to alcoholism and when I was 17 had a very good friend who was also 17 and had been drinking 4L of cider a day since he was 13 and last time I saw him when we was 17 he had been told if he has one more drink he could be dead as his pancreas was knackered :( did it stop him lol NOPE! He just drank high strength lager instead lol

Don't know if he's dead or not but not seen him around since last seen him so presume he is :(

Edited by hebby

my friend killed one of my friends in an RTA, he was not drunk.

another friend hit and run a young girl, sadly she passed away, he was jailed.

in october last year i lost my childhood best mate, we was like brothers. joined at the hip.

he had been drinking and jumped on his bike, he never made it home and died in a ditch.

when his sister knocked on my door i knew just from the look on her face he had gone.

and you know what i still miss the fool to this day, just one stupid mistake was all it was. 

YOU made the right choice, YOUR family member made the wrong choice.

In life we are taught right from wrong at a young age, yeah we break rules

but i would not have wanted to be the soul that had to tell his family he had gone

or he had hurt someone very bad. 

maybe now the family member will see the impact of what could have happened.

it takes a second to kill a person, it takes 1/3000 of a second to make the right call.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah have to agree mate as hard a decision it must of been to make definitely the right one, I see rta,s in my day to day job and a lot of the time unfortunately it's the drunk driver that ends up ok and the innocent driver/passenger/pedestrian that doesn't. As said you would feel bad if he did injure or kill someone and I know it's his own decision to drink drive but I'm pretty sure you would also feel terrible if he just seriously injured himself,and you never know this might be the wake up call he needs and might make him change his lifestyle and all,before anyone got hurt so you should be proud of yourself for going through with it mate as I'm sure plenty of people have been in same position and ignored it.

Years ago I was driving home at about 2am and a young lad in front of me was weaving all over the rd and it was pretty obvious that he was either on drugs or drink at the time I thought if the police see him the will definitely stop him,but what if they don't? I would have felt really guilty if I had read the next day about a serious accident that he had caused, so I phoned the police (on hands free of course) and followed him at a safe distance so I could lead them to him.

Again i see lots of accidents caused by drink driving and it's something I really struggle to tolerate,a friend of mine got done a while back and lost his licence but what really annoyed me about it is he went to court to try and get out of it by paying lots of money, and even though he is a mate I have to say I was glad he lost as not only did he get a longer ban he wasted a hell of a lot of money on a solicitor so he won't be doing that again.

• 2 weeks later...

My adopted uncle lost his grand daughter to a fool well fools. They was at a pub probably all merry and a guy turned up on a quad bike and started giving rides to the kids. He hit a car head on the 3yr old didn't stand a chance.  Its sickening to think there was sovmany adults ther and not one stopped it. Drink drivers should be auto banned for life plus serve a debt to society. Not prison something usful to the public idk what tho but it should teach them the stupidity of their ways.  

Yes grass him up. Theres afew things its perfectly fine to grass people up and drunk driving is one of them. 

Edited by RCbutcher