• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TW's Bajas - "Sheila", "Ruby", & "Kyu"

Thunderwolf

Got a box from Bez containing these

DSC09006.jpgv

i'll be using them as camera mounts although these are more of just a proof of concept, the side one (see below) has a bit of flex to it so i may have some camera shake going on, same issue with the one going over the radio box, i've not bolted it on as the switch is in the way, it meant for the petrol car anyway so i'll be testing it on that.

DSC09007.jpg

DSC09008.jpg

the very front is strong enough for a camera mount but it doubles as the chassis brace on the front lower hinge pins so that is an issue, but at least i'll know it fits before spending some decent money on getting some alloy versions made.

the rear mount how ever is fine as it is, it been on the car for the first 2 runs and other that going white where its been scratched its held up very well, so i may be wrong about needing alloy versions.

still, means i got some different camera angles now

Edited by Thunderwolf

well after loosing 5 of the 7 bolts holding the rear chassis on i've now replaced them (a 6th was also loose) however it would seem i have bent some of the castle conversion because of it, doesn't line up as well as it did but its still usable which is the main thing.

the chassis bolts are thread locked this time

the 2 m4 bolt on the left side have now go nylock nuts on the ends, didn't have a spanner that fits so while they can come loose they shouldn't come off completely.

i bought some m8 bolts to replace the one i lost, i got longer ones and also put nylock nuts on that too.

if they do come off again i'm going to be really annoyed.

side note, now the grass has dried a quick brush off leaves her looking fairly decent once again, and now i seem to have the handling sorted out, i'm looking into running her on 8s.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting run with the baja flux today, got some great jumps and had the go pro fitted to the rear facing mount to get some shots of the wood chip getting kicked up etc etc.

loving how it drives now, can't wait until i go 8s with her and get some more speed.

all was well....that is until i did one jump that saw the car landing roof first, the force was enough to take the front section of the cage off the rear section and the center roll bar, snapping the 2 cable ties holding the rear windows closed. it was also enough for the batter cover to pop of, allowing the batteries to come out abit hitting the esc and dislodging the esc plate i had made from the chassis as well as getting the cover jamming between the center roll bar. oh and seems it was enough for both go pro mount to come off, both the one with the camera on it and the one i wasn't even using, which also resulted in a broken go pro, i can no longer get it to turn on.

it does seem to have saved the footage though which should be interesting to watch, assuming it has damaged it some how.

however the car is fine, just had to put everything back, with kids around me saying how busted and not working it was....shortly followed by questions on how i fixed it so quickly....i left shortly after as they began to got annoying and also got bored then began also getting in the way.

well i thought i'd take a look at the esc mounting to see what was up, expecting a screw had just stripped....nope

DSC09053.jpg

its actually broken the plate BEZ printed out for me, but this is at all a shock for a few reasons.

the first was the force of the landing was a lot, probably the hardest landing i've ever done with a baja (and thats saying something)

reason 2 is the plate isn't quite shaped right and so didn't mount up as expected to begin with

third and final reason is due to reason 2 it broke slightly when fitting, which is where it also failed, so the areas that broke off were weakened already.

it sucks because i can't mount the esc in the car now but i needed to replace it at some point anyway so its something i've already planned for. no big deal.

Are you currently running your baja flux on 6s then? What speeds are you getting out of it?

yes i am, its about the same speed as the petrol baja when she was running a 30.5cc long rod, so its about 40-45mph.

• Like 1

You'll have to give us an update on speed when the 8s power is booting it up the backside ;)

there will be fella, i tend to update every little thing when it comes to my bajas lol

currently waiting for the replacement esc plate, which has be altered slightly, hopefully now it will sit on the back flat and not get in the way of the gearbox like the first one did, i've also altered the positions of the rear esc holes so i should now be able to bolt the esc down with all 4 screws instead of a foam pad and 2 screws (first one had them too close together). i also modified the screw hole for the esc switch.

as a small extra i managed to save a small amount of and a bit of weight by removing part of the middle of the plate, only realy need the 2 sides but of ease of fitting i left the 2 connected but i may change that at some point.

i've also got a bracket being made for the petrol baja exhaust, for some reason it doesn't line up as it should and i don't know why, and this si the easiest way to deal with it for the time being.

also got a few other things getting printed for the baja but i'll talk about them another time.

Nice one. Is your Flux a petrol converted project or did you buy it as a flux?

none of the above.

something that was meant to be quick but turned out to be a long term project.

the car was built from buying parts on their own, as and when i could afford them, something that was going to take a few months until i lost my job at the time, it ended up taking just over 2 years to finish.

it not that interesting really, most of the parts you can buy yourself and just bolt them on, there are only 2 custom parts, a motor spacer to bring the motor into the chassis so the motor shaft didn't get in the way of the gear cover.

the 2nd custom part is the ESC plate i mentioned, the ESC doesn't bolt onto the castle conversion kit directly for 2 reasons, the first is the 4 screw holes on the conversion kit don't line up with the ESC, the 2nd problem is the gearbox comes above the tranny plate so you can't get the ESC flat, so i mean the ESC plate to raise it up and fully bolt it down, but i didn't do a good job in sizing.

when i went to bolt it down the hole to the tranny plate lined up perfectly, holes need to be a bit bigger for the bolts to fit without minding but they did their job (now fixed).

the 2nd thing is the cut out for the raised section of the gearbox didn't go back far enough, so when i bolted it down it bent the plate and it cracked, which would have been a down side to it breaking. i've now fixed this as well

the final issue was the holes for the ESC to bolt to the plate were too close together so i only held it on with 2 screws and a sticky foam pad, which to be fair, did well from the rolls i did, and it also held together in the landing that broke the plate and my go pro, but i've now placed the hole further apart so i should be able to use all 4 and not have to use the foam pad.

• 3 weeks later...

flux is all fixed, still waiting for my new camera to arrive so i can get a video filmed and edited to show her off a bit though.

few other part got printed too but sizes are off so no point showing them until that is sorted out.

Fair play, sounds like it's been a trying project at times but must be worth it in the end.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

you could say that but the reality is the time scale and delays i've had with it are on 95% down to just not having the money to do anything, as it stands i've already sold off 5 of my former models, of the 4 cars i have left i'm only just able to keep the flux running, the rest have been out of action for 2 - 14 months.

• 2 weeks later...

well here is what Sheila looks like

DSC09057.jpg

not that it matters now, may be time to move on for the bajas i think.

Sheila looks gorgeous... She looks happy on the bonnet of your Baja [emoji6] [emoji2]

Sheila looks gorgeous... She looks happy on the bonnet of your Baja [emoji6] [emoji2]

No, the actual Baja is named Sheila, the woman on the bonnet is just a random picture i found online.

No, the actual Baja is named Sheila, the woman on the bonnet is just a random picture i found online.

I know, I was joking haha