• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Soft case Lipos in cars?

Hi guys,

Has anyone had bad experiences with soft case Lipos in cars, as opposed to hard case?

Obviously hard case are going to be tougher and more durable, but also more expensive, and not as much choice.

Are there major reasons not to run soft case in off road cars? (Im thinking 4 s for the MT4 G3).

Thanks.

I've used soft-case for years with no issues. In the Thunder Tiger you mentioned, the cells are held in a box, so quite well protected. Worse case scenario is a piece of gravel getting in with the cells and being pressed against the side of a pack. Chances are slim though.

the mt4g3  only has a small ridge holding the front of the lipo in place.  so in a very hard crash it might rip the soft case apart.  or the lipo might slip forwards into the spur gear.   you could fit a velcro battery strap that would stop it moving.

In an exlclosed box ide rather a soft case atleast if it puffs you can see it. I had 2x the turigy black hardcase lipos both smashed to peices around the wires the case felt real crap. But the gensace hardcase felt 10x better I doubt that would crack up as essy.

I was worried the turigy case you spit a shard into the cells both of the cracked open in the first run too. One in a slash 2wd the other in a savage xs. This time im going soft case but padding the box up.