• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fitting KM alloy front upper plate

munch

I bought this: http://www.rcmodelz.co.uk/product/alloy-front-upperplate-66026-silver.php to fit to my km002a (5b clone) but I can't get the thing to fit!

Here is an image of it placed on the car: http://i.imgur.com/CdOObaZ.jpg (sorry for the terrible picture)

I have now placed it ontop of the steering setup and placed it so it fits in with the 3 holes on each side but it's still not matching up at the front.

http://i.imgur.com/51Olqou.jpg

The red square is where the plate should screw into the front end.

The two front holes that screw into the front end are lined up with where they are meant to screw in but as you can see the plate then doesn't line up with the 3 holes either side.. What am I doing wrong? Whatever I do I just can't get it to line up properly!

Edited by munch

Easiest way to check is to look at the part you took off. Assuming it fitted OK....place it on a flat surface....If it's twisted, then so is your chassis.

If the top plate you took off is perfectly flat, compare it with your KM upper brace.

SOMETHING is bent out of shape here....you just have to work out which part!

100%

Thats bent mate.

You will need to get the lower chassis brace from RcModelz too

As when you straighten the front kickup, you will weaken the aluminium

I got the stainless steel one, its heavy but totally bombproof.

Just needed to drill a couple of holes to fit it properly

G

I stripped the front end off of my chassis

Then stood on the kickup flat on the ground

And held on to the engine end of the chassis

Took a few attempts and guesstimates

But I just let the weight of the engine pull the chassis down while I stood on the other end

Use the frunt plastic underguard to to aid with getting the right angle

When the underguard is fitted, the chamfered edge of it should

Be flush eith the main part of the chassis

Good luck!!

Edited by Enid_Puceflange

Definitely a bent chassis... You need it at 18Deg or the tip needs to be 31mm from the flat surface you lay it on.

I personally used a vice across it so I can go very small increments instead of hammering it or standing on it, it's very easy to go too far and as soon as you go back again to bending it upwards it's about fit for the bin, as I found out lol.

I got mine sideways in a vice and how much I tightened the vice determined how much it bent back, probably your safest way of doing it.

• Like 1

I guess some people think something that looks strong, will be when fitted lol.

Might just buy a new chassis to save the hassle of trying to get it back to how it should be.

If you pay the postage I'll gladly do it for you.

Feel free to check my feedback and whatnot, I'm a well trusted person and it will be done right.

Failing that their might be a Forum member close by that you could simply take it to.

It's really not hard to do though, if you want, I'll take you a simple picture of how I did mine?

I guess some people think something that looks strong, will be when fitted lol.

If you pay the postage I'll gladly do it for you.

Feel free to check my feedback and whatnot, I'm a well trusted person and it will be done right.

Failing that their might be a Forum member close by that you could simply take it to.

It's really not hard to do though, if you want, I'll take you a simple picture of how I did mine?

Cheers for the offer but I just made use of a hammer and smashed the orange stock plate back into place just so I can use it today, once it breaks again I'll go for a new chassis lol.

For the quality of alloy they use (even if it's heavy) for the price I'd go with the I-RC one personally.

Where does this "quality of alloy" come from, my km baja is all alloy, everything exept fir the front hubs is alloy, arms, gearbox, rear hubs, shock towers, bulk head pretty much everything is alloy, ive given my baja some serious serious abuse and it just shakes it off no problem, its not weak alloy by any means, infact im pretty dam impressed with how well its held up, i was out last sunday and i tried a jump at full throttle and it landed funny as baja's do and it did the baja cartwheel a good 10 meters long and i honestly thought id be picking up baja bits for a while lolol the only damage was a snapped rear hinge pin lol thats it, whether km alloy of old was like integy cheese i dont know but i honestly dont think thats the case now, yeh it weighs more but imo it looks way cooler than plastic/nylon, seeiously chaps the latest km alloy is good swag, the rear 3 piece gearbox is very well made.