• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Problem. Motor cutting out

Danalkhan

Hi guys. New to this so apologies. I have an hpi rs4 sport (I think) it has a team Orion pro.bb motor and lrp runner plus reverse esc. When I give "full wack" after about 5 secs it cuts out. I then have to reverse slightly before it will go again. A bit stumped. Tried resetting esc as in pressing button, moving stick reverse then forward. Still does it! Any ideas??

Thanks. Dan.

Have you just received this or has it been yours for a while?

I suppose mentioning the 2400 mAh, its the latter?

When did you last clean the motor commutator - that's a modified motor?

What spec is the motor? 14x2, 12x3,....

I used to have a couple of Orion BB Pros in the past, a couple of 12x3 which were flyers, then I went to a couple of 9-turn motors - a 9x2 and 9x4. They were animals when running well, but they soon burnt through their brushes and dirtied their comms.

Al.

Sorry mate I haven't got a clue what spec it is. Haven't had the car long. I haven't cleaned it. Is that an easy process? I have just taken it out and when it cuts out the light on the esc blinks quite quickly. Does that mean anything? Thanks for the replies.

I mean taken car out for a spin not taken the motor out sorry

that motor my be to much for your ecu there for 15turns and up  .. also its hard to see but it looks like the brushes are worn as the spring looks to be against the the end of the slot ... hope that makes sense  

as jea said the motor is most likely to much for the ESC and its cutting out.

they have an 18T motor limit meaning you can only use 18T and above motors, they did a newer one with a 17t limit as well.

you need to see what T motor you have as we can't see it from the pics.

After a bit of research it would appear that your motor is an Orion Orbital Pro BB T14x3, as mentioned before it looks like it's too much for the ESC.

• Like 1

this esc http://www.modelsport.co.uk/modelsport-uk-sniper-fw-10/rc-car-products/31552 will run that motor .. but you will need to rebuild the motor i,e ... new brushes .. skimming the commutator .. new bearings  as thy do not last very long..that's why most have gone to brush-less  systems    

Is it a stock Tamiya ESC? If so, nope!

MSC bud not ESC

to answer i'm not sure what the motor rating for those are mate. but they are not very efficient where as a ESC is.

your best bet is to get one of the MS ESC's. not much money to be fair just make sure it can run your motor. the one posted is forward ONLY so no reverse.