• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

"VINTAGE" or "RETRO" r/c owners thread.

Gaz!

Hi Ted and welcome,

Where to start!

I suggest stripping the whole buggy, then clean and examine everything. If you haven't a manual, they are downloadable from various places on the net. Many things could be the cause of the noise, worn gears, bearings, failing motor....

Parts are readily available if you require them, try Time Tunnel models (gold star stockists) or eBay; shop around, as prices vary.

Replace any plastic bearings/brass bushes with a rubber shielded bearing set, available from RCBearings.co.uk, simply search by the model number.

The old manual speed controller can be replaced with a modern, brushed ESC, and I would invest in a new motor too.

As for radio gear, stick with the 27mhz if you want, or, purchase a 2.4g set up, they are available for around 30 quid.

Hth, time to get stripping, researching and making up a parts list :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, so is this the place for this pic then?

I've done a complete strip and rebuild, this is the before shot. I will take some now it's been rebuilt if folks like it :) .... I've now uprated all the bearings, swapped to an ESC, 2 RS540 tuned motors :)

gallery_30633_2645_108263.jpg

If this is the vintage section as well, , if anyone has some clues on where I could source some parts for a 1980's Kyosho Nissan Fairlady Z, she could do with some new wheels and tyres? Will post pics if people would like to see her as well, lol :)

Cheers, Mark

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ha ha, like it Sean....

Been recently inspired to make a desert buggy based on a dt02 chassis.... Plans are formulating ;)

Chuck a pair of Sand Paddles on your Holiday Buggy! 

No beach in Leeds fella :(

Check out the FS section, and the (hugely overpriced, quite poorly done) conversion, using the twin hammers cage.... ;)

No desert either fella. 

I've seen it. Shocking. 

Aye, truly truly awful, imho.... however, it has given me ideas....it's down to which chassis to attack...HB or Super Fighter Purple Pansy (clue: NOT the one with the HB shell on it  :whistling: )

in principle it works, and fair do to him for trying, ive just converted my sand viper into a holiday viper just because i had the shell going begging.....

Aye, truly truly awful, imho.... however, it has given me ideas....it's down to which chassis to attack...HB or Super Fighter Purple Pansy (clue: NOT the one with the HB shell on it  :whistling: )

oooh super fighter shell for sale noj???

in principle it works, and fair do to him for trying, ive just converted my sand viper into a holiday viper just because i had the shell going begging.....

I went the other way when creating Miper! The way things are going the DT-02 chassis is going to be vintage by the time I can finally afford to build Miper v3.0  :yucky:

Lots! I've retired Miper v2.1 now, he's had a very hard life. Miper v3.0 is going to be a clean sheet build from a whole new kit.