• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

icharger 106b+ has arrived!

MAZ

My new lipo charger arrived today as well as a 4s lipo and a transmitter bag :)

Just got a few questions before I play with it...

20140103_180527_zps6d7d63cf.jpg

Has anyone used an icharger before? (I've yet to look properly at the instructions which I've got a pdf of on my phone)

Are they easy to use?

Can it be plugged into a laptop charger?

20140103_180832_zps74d5b771.jpg

Looks like you dont need a balance board either which is cool

20140103_180957_zps4b06eb30.jpg

Should I get a balance board? (is it more convenient to have one?)

Although its a 250w charger I've only got a 200watt psu - will this affect anything?

(I've only got 4s and 5)

Is it easy to hook it up to a laptop?

Cheers for any advice guys :)

I haven't used one so I am only supposing here but.

It looks like it has a 12v power input so in theory you could connect it to a laptop power supply but why would you want to? Just plug it into the 240V. The 12v input is for when you are out and about so you can power it from your car battery or similar. It will likely have a connector that fit's that 12v input and you could solder on a cigarette lighter attachment or just lift the bonnet and use those two hefty looking clamp connectors in the pic!

You don't need another balance board as it has one inbuilt.

What 200w PSU are you talking about? It should have come with a 240V mains lead with hopefully a UK plug on it.

It looks like it has a mini USB so I guess there may be some PC software that will give you extra functions.

Hope that helps.

JP

Edited by jpbp200

I've used iChargers for years. Good solid, reliable chargers.

In your case I wouldn't bother getting a balance board, just plug the balance plug into the side of the charger. I have never found a need to plug my charger into my lappy, but i believe thats just to update the firmware etc.

I have a 208b which I run on a 200W Fusion power supply, which is fine as long as you aren't running the charger at full capacity

I wouldnt use a laptop charger to power it as they lack the oomph to power the charger properly.

In an ideal world Id say a 300-350 Watt power supply would do the job nicely. 

What 200w PSU are you talking about? It should have come with a 240V mains lead with hopefully a UK plug on it.

Those require an external power supply.

It will need more than a 5amp laptop power supply because it is capable of charging at more than 5amp. You'll burn the laptop supply out.

Thanks for the replies guys :)

So, does it need hooking up to a laptop charger for any firmware updates out of the box or is it good to go from the start?

If (and this is just a 'what if' type of thing) it needed calibrating, does the charger have this function?

Edited by MAZ