• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Back in the Baja fraternity! (The Beast)

Oh How Original

So after some investigating, last time I took the Baja out, when I got home I noticed one of the carb nipples had a small crack in it, so I changed the whole top for the one on the carb on the CY I bought, as it turns out that's now leaking (not actually used it until this new engine) so it must have had a fault with it from the beginning, weirdly I ordered a 668 top from Freeprawn a few days ago, I'm hoping it comes tomorrow, then I can see if that sorts the problem, if not I'm just going to buy a fresh 668 for it.

What's with the Uber RC bombed all across the baja & your sig eh eh  :whistling: Do I see a Uber RC tattoo coming next  :harhar:

Supporting good products... Plus I like the alien head and the orange :) and Marks a friend... Theirs also SilverbackRC and ModifiedRC on it, but they don't do a range of decals so I can't do the other shell in those lol.

Took the Baja out yesterday and like an idiot, I put the 55T spur I had on it without checking (thought it was in the spares with the 19T pinion) and it stripped within a couple of minutes, on a plus note I'm rather glad it did because it stopped the warped brake disc from damaging anything :lol: which I noticed while dragging the Baja back to the car, the rear wheels locked up and wouldn't budge, I'm just glad it didn't happen while the Baja was steaming along, not that I was giving it any stick because the engine still needs running in yet.

I also decided to cover the other shell I've got in the remaining decals I have to show I have absolutely no bias towards Uber and just went a bit mad with the decals they gave me :lol: weirdly and I'm not sure why, but I actually quite like it, I also noticed a lot of crap got in the gap of the other shell where I'd cut it for the side exhaust mount to go, so I'll have to get another black shell at some point, but think I'm just going to keep this orangey/red one on for now for throttle servo protection.

I also decided to whip together a full spec list, or at least things I can remember anyway, more will be added as I think of it, anything not in the list is either stock HPI or KM until I can think of what's there in place of stock :P

IMG_3542_zps88f90a4f.jpg

Chung Yang F270 27.2cc +2mm stroker crank
Switchblade killswitch
Dominator clone exhaust
UberRC carbon fibre chassis
UberRC bumpers
UberRC carbon fibre tranny plate
UberRC carbon fibre brake plate
UberRC carbon fibre hinge pin braces
UberRC window set
UberRC 3 stage air filter
ModifiedRC rear chassis
VVC HD shocks
Hitec 5755 steering
Hitec 5685 throttle/brake
HPI SS diff with HD gears
Darksoul outdrives and axles
Darksoul meaty dog bones
Darksoul Toobz
Darksoul billet servo saver
HPI 5SC hubs
Vertigo rear axles extenders
Silverback Mercenary wheels
Silverback beadlocks
Silverback Monkey Nutz
Hostile MXs rears
KM Monster fronts
I-RC front lower chassis brace
I-RC shock braces
I-RC front top plate
Hemistorm max hex
Hostile spur
Robinson Racing pinion
GH Racing pullstart handle
Team Phatdad fan brace
GBE engine brace

Hostile dog bone boots

Edited by Oh How Original
  • Like 1

Today was an eventful day, got the Baja out on the field to continue runnig in this engine, about 15 minutes after runnning, it felt like the brakes had come on and their was a strange mechanical (like metal on metal) thudding.

Stopped it to investigate, took the gear cover off and found one of the gear plate (Despite being threadlocked) had wound itself out and had scraped a bit ring in the spur... So took that off but it didn't solve the mechanical thudding.

So decided to call it a day instead of doing damage.

Got it home, took the gear plate off, couldn't see anything so decided to just stick a new spur on and see what happens, did that (second Hostile spur ruined in two runs, yay lol) and it all went back together fine with no noise at all, just had it on the street popping wheelies again.

Pretty happy, cheap easy fix for both problems.

Also received my new pipe today, from the pictures I thought it was a clone of the VRC big bore rear, but upon fitting it, it's not, it actually fits differently, so I'm not sure what it's actually a clone of, never seen one before, if anyone can shed some light?

Anyway, I'm plannig on making a mount, so it wraps under like the Dom, because after running it, it still lifts the nose of the Baja on the little blips I'm giving it, but it seems to have more mid/top end as well, so overall from my first run, it seems like a better pipe! I just hate how it mounts, the bumper and stuff does go on, but because I knew I wasn't leaving the pipe on, I left the bumper and spoiler off just to give it a little test run, hence the pictures...

IMG_3555_zps4672aa70.jpg

IMG_3556_zps8a7102f1.jpg

Got 2 tanks of fuel through the engine today, that's about 2 1/2 in total, needs some fine tuning, but shouldn't be too hard to do.

Also decided to go back to Baja 1.0 lol.

Some very fond memories from looking through old bash pictures the other day prompted this, I got bored of the black and no colour :lol: !

IMG_3561_zps218966de.jpg

• Like 1

Sticker bombed baja looks good mate!

I've been trying to decide on a colour scheme for mine...had a few ideas now that add something else into the mix!

How's the new engine performing? Is the power fairly consistent through the revs?

This was my first ever Baja that I got off Troopers Dad, after I'd added my own twist to it of course :) a day at the races :P hell of a lucky picture to get lol.

523912_10152146124745171_708965000_n_zps

And this is now, I've added a little bit more to it, I personally like it although I know it won't be to everyones taste, I got fed up of trying to make it look nice and stealthy/evil, so screw it, sticker bombbb :lol:

IMG_3562_zpsfcaf78ef.jpg

Engine wise it's going good, it was running sweet then me and Ray had a bit of a coming together, mine came worse off and did about 6 flips, from then on it didn't seem to be running quite as happy! I was actually tuning it when it happened, so I put it down to that, carried on trying to tune it but it still didn't seem overly happy when it was flat out.

After I've got home I've noticed one of the jubilee clips on the exhaust coupler thing wasn't sat right, must have come loose in the crash, so that could be why, it idles fine, takes off well, just at full tilt it seems to be struggling, probably the best way of describing it.

If the weather is good I'll be taking it out again tomorrow so I'll find out for sure.

What happened to the rear suspension on your old baja?! It's decked in that picture?!

These CY engines seem to be getting thumbs up from everyone running them then...might have to look into getting one for mine when the time comes, I guess in a baja outright power isn't as important as the way the engines behaves? You want good power all through the range and for it to rev it heart out from any point?

What happened to the rear suspension on your old baja?! It's decked in that picture?!

These CY engines seem to be getting thumbs up from everyone running them then...might have to look into getting one for mine when the time comes, I guess in a baja outright power isn't as important as the way the engines behaves? You want good power all through the range and for it to rev it heart out from any point?

Nothing mate, it was just a really lucky shot Debbie got of my Baja landing lol, bang on in front of the OBR sign, which it was running at the time as well.

But yeah the suspension was fine dude :)

In my personal opinion you want an engine with a nice torque curve in a Baja, rather than loads of mad bottom end torque.

So they pull like a train, not only quick off the line, but equally as fast from half to full throttle for example.

For me, that's a perfect engine for a Baja.

But then again, I'm not really into doing wheelies and donuts, even though this one will wheelie if I want it to, I prefer to try getting it round a track (or at least track layout) as quickly as possible.

Once I get going, it really does bring a very competitive side out in me, I'd love to have a track I could use anytime I wanted, I'd practically live there lol.

Ah I see didn't realise it was a motion shot...makes sense now!

That's the same sort of engine I'm after, I want a baja that I can drive where I want it to go so wheelies and donuts aren't really going to help that!

Well this is a nice engine, it's not stupidly powerful to the point it's just going to blitz your drivetrain but it has enough power to get a move on right through the rev range.

I'm happy with it anyway and it'll only get better in the next 2/3 tanks as well, so yeah, definitely worth the money.