• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC Helicopter Advice

joeylcfc

So this is now the thread you want if you are looking to buy a RC helicopter. 

So the first thing you want to decided on is which type of helicopter you want; Coaxial, Fixed-Pitch or Collective Pitch.

Coaxial

If it is your first RC helicopter, you want to start with a coaxial. This use 2 sets of counter rotating blades that cancel out the need of a tail rotor. Usually there are just 3ch with yaw, elevator and throttle control. The cheaper coaxial helicopters use just a small vertical oriented propeller that spins both ways to slightly tilt the heli back or forth. The more expensive use something called a swashplate. More on that later. You can also get 4ch coaxial heli that have yaw, elevator, aileron and throttle. These tend to be more expensive.

Because of their design, coaxial helis are very stable and do not drift around. Their are great as first helicopters and are perfect for any

beginner. However, they tend to be very slow and are no good for stunts. But even professionals still find them fun!

http://netgadgets.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/h/rh24-y-1500.jpg

This example is a Syma S107 which you can buy for about

Edited by joeylcfc

Don't jump in and think 3d flying is easy, I've had my mcpx over a year still struggling with figure 8's into a steady hover, great fun but difficult. Get use to a coax then fixed pitch and master them, take your time it's not point and shoot unlike cars. In no way am I trying to put you off cp helis just giving you a heads up buddy :)

Thanks for all the info, it has really helped. I would just like something that I can fly outdoors, even when it is slightly windy, (8mph?), and that is quite big(500mm length seems perfect.) I won't be trying 3D yet, I just thought it would be nice to have in the future, without having to buy another heli.  I have flown over 20 coaxs in my time, and have got pretty good at them, I just want something with one rotor, and that I can fly outdoors. 

Thanks again for all the info :)

Also forgot to say, I can't really spend over

Edited by joeylcfc

After taking advice, I decided to not get a 450 anyway. I have heard about the bad reviews of the SR, but fir everything is seems perfect for me. 

Any suggestions for a RTF heli that is around the 500mm rotor diameter and is around

Edited by joeylcfc

What about this? http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__34238__Walkera_NEW_V120D02S_3D_Mini_Helicopter_w_DEVO_7E_Transmitter_RTF_Mode_2_.html

The size is great, the price is right, the rear rotor is gear driven. I think this is the winner. :)

Edited by joeylcfc

I have also a copy 450 class. Look very nice ! In the beggining test I noticed a small drift to the back and left, so I did not take off. With all my work, I can not cope with this problem. Another problem will be 35 Mhz transmiter, with the 1 meter antenna. I wish to calibrate this heli, and to change the RC. Either by sending to somebody very passionate or a company who could convert the heli to the 2.4 Ghz.

I wish to find somebody who made this conversion.

The best around SouthYorkshire, but we could use the royal mail also!

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Hi mate, sorry for no reply. To change to 2.4ghz, you need a 2.4ghz reciever and transmitter. You can buy radio systems from a massive range of places, just look around. I recommened the Spektrum DX6i and Ar6115 receiver. Just type it into google. On to the other question, if you have a local model shop, go there and let them set it up. If the heli isn't set up it won't fly right. Also, no collective pitch heli will hover. You always need to move the sticks.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I have checked all the videos and I concluded I need a stady hand from somebody with experience. I am still looking for somebody willing to help me . I wish to invest in a very good remote control. I may be forced to give-up to my 450 clone and to try something more simple like a quadcopter. I will wait 2-3 months maximum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just give up, it is for sale on e-bay.I did not receive any offer to make the proper adjustement and convert him to 2.4 Ghz., and I was ready to spent good money.

If you still have your heli dont give up yet mate, if your stuck drop me a message happy to help,

Anyway nobody try to buy-it untill, now.

I will be happy to find somebody to be able to calibrate him at list.

I have the filling, with a quad blade the satisfaction will be something like zero plus.

I think the main problem are the blade alignement. I can not make proper observation, I even read about laser tool, some high speed photo camera, all you can imagine. I am just blocked there.

Some helis already they have gps included, and blade self alignement-mechanical device

As last resort I will try to find somebody who loves this kind of machine and make an adaptation on 2.4Ghz.

I did not give up, but it is ..for sale