• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Yet another help thread from me!

danzul90

Sorry to bother you all again with yet another problem and more questions! I promise i am learning!!!

I recently bought and have just fitted a new pull start for my Thunder tiger Tomohawk VX. The engine is a Pro-18BX 3.0cc.

I tried to start the car a few days ago and the cord pulled out and returned fine, but there was no tension/ compression, it wasn't turning the engine over. I figured it must be that the spring may have slipped or something like that, so being the keen to learn person that i am i pulled it apart hoping to find the problem, having never looked inside a pull start before.

I couldnt see any thing obvious so i rebuilt the pull start and tried to start the car again but with the same issue, only this time i noticed that on some pulls it was fine, others it was not.

I decided to pull it apart and have another look, this time i snapped an inch off the end of the spring. I ordered a new one and re-shaped the end of the spring as a temperary fix till the new one arrived.

I have now fitted a brand new pull start but have the same problem.

I have tried to up load a video with the glow plug out so you can see exactly what i mean but i can't work out how to put the video on here.

Upon deeper investigations i found that the conrod appears to have an amount of play in it, what i mean by this, is that although the crank feels and looks fine, as you look at the photo below, the con rod will move forwards and back on the crank shaft.

Although this does not appear to effect the little nodule that sits inside this thing below (sorry i am terrible with names! whther peoples or items) 
I know when fitting it all back together again it was all seated properly.
It comes accross to me as though on some pulls of the cord its all connected fine, but on others it is not at all!

I hope this is all understandable and explains thing well, i normaly struggle to explain things and have a bad memory for names whether it be peoples names or the name of an item.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and hopefully helping me out!

Danzul90

Ok i will try that tomorrow, will it not need repacking with grease or some sort of lubricant?

I did have a play with the one way bearing and it felt pretty much spot on when i gave it some abuse by hand. although i should think there is some o lot more power using the pull cord than there is my fingers lol

is the shaft coming into contact with the one way bearing all right or is the shaft not long enough? if not long enough u might have the wrong pullstart

or another answer is the shaft is too lubricated and the owb is not gripping, wipe the shaft with a dry cloth or something and try again

when you have got the pull cord and owb sorted mate pull the cord out about 6 inch and then give it quick tugs dont pull the cord to long saves any more breakages matey :)

I will remember that one. Cheers mate!

is the shaft coming into contact with the one way bearing all right or is the shaft not long enough? if not long enough u might have the wrong pullstart

or another answer is the shaft is too lubricated and the owb is not gripping, wipe the shaft with a dry cloth or something and try again

The shaft is sits nicely as it is more than long enough, and the two pull starts are identical. I had the same problem with the old one which was the reason i got a new one lol

I have taken it apart and played about again since i started the thread, although i have changed nothing it appears to be working now for some reason with out an issue.... I will check the Shaft tomorrow though and give it a quick wipe.

Thanks!

Danzul90

I never thought you could have too much lube on your shaft......... :whistling:

I will deffo give it a wipe down tomorrow then, looks like this is the cause then!

Is a bit strange though as other then the bearing it is pretty much sealed away from any contamination of fuel.... hey ho...

Thanks a lot guys! Its greatly appreciated!

Danzul90

Edited by danzul90

Yes, all sorted and having loads of fun.

Thank you for every ones help!

Just need new apur gear now andvto get my head round tuning properly.

How often should i realisticaly need to tune the engine? I seem to need to do it nwarly every tank full sone days.u

Edited by danzul90

Mine seems to be an absolute arse!

for the last week its been run on 4 different occasions, in different temperature environments and its been spot on nearly every time its run, at worst needing a very very minor tune. today it ran but was lumpy this morning. this afternoon it wouldn't start at all leaving me with two flat glow starters:(

Increadibly i am still using the original plug in the engine!

Thanks to my youngest (he has just turned 2) i am now down to only the one glowstarter!

I tried a different exhaust today but it just robbed me of all the top end and also a small amount of low end grunt:(