• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tugs take on the S5!

Tug

Dip switches on the back, very simple. If you're running an ESC with built-in BEC, you'll be fine, use a servo extension cable and just unplug the red pin on the Rx plug. That leaves your ESC Rx plug intact for pit-card or PC connectivity.

• 3 months later...

Innovative diff cups ordered. Will fit ASAP and report findings!

The reason for this is the repeated failure of the rear diff cup, it's burst several times. The gears (crown, pinion, sun and spider) are all just fine, no issues with those. It's just the cups that're struggling to cope.

ring the diff cups. 

same problem happened running 8000kv in my micro diffs.

the punch was so much it would over time open the cups up and then force takes over and split them.

this even happened on 6800kv to, so we all gathered up heads and started to use brass compression rings

fitted over the diff cups and glued into place. this stopped teh dogs throwing and the opening and splitting cups. 

maybe something tug could look into for the super5sc ;)

thinking a thin stainless band or a large oversized compression ring,

and some way to hold it in place 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

ring the diff cups.

same problem happened running 8000kv in my micro diffs.

the punch was so much it would over time open the cups up and then force takes over and split them.

this even happened on 6800kv to, so we all gathered up heads and started to use brass compression rings

fitted over the diff cups and glued into place. this stopped teh dogs throwing and the opening and splitting cups.

maybe something tug could look into for the super5sc ;)

thinking a thin stainless band or a large oversized compression ring,

and some way to hold it in place

I have considered this very option! However, I've no clue where to start! I'd need to find something thin enough that it wouldn't foul the pinion. Any ideas? :(

Diff cups have arrived from Innovative, and very nice they are too. It's great that they include a complete fitting kit, gaskets, screws, pins etc. I'll get busy on fitment later.

Now, I'm also thinking of a bigger pinion, up from 25 teeth to 28 teeth. Then keep the voltage down to 6S and 7S. My aim here is double-edged, I'm looking to maintain overall top speed by upping gearing coupled with lower voltage, but this method should also "hobble" some of the motors gargantuan torque. I realise the diffs will be spinning up to roughly the same rpm, but they shouldn't be subjected to as much gut-wrenching torque, plausible theory?

I will lose some efficiency, but I'm sure it won't reduce runtimes enough to worry about.

I've crunched the numbers and a 28 tooth should be just what I'm looking for. I'll get it ordered and let you know how it pans out.

Quick run at the park, packs at storage to start, but managed approximately 15 minutes of speed runs. That's not bad considering she weighs approximately 8 and a half kilos.

Speed is currently uninspiring, topping out at about 30. This'll do until my new pinion arrives.

Launch control is currently on low to protect the rear diff, only time will tell if that's actually helping. This also means that the acceleration is also uninspiring at the moment, but I can live with that as she's actually running quite well at the moment.

That's all for now, it'll be weeks before I get the new pinion.

Latazz.

Packs were at 50%, but that was enough to give a full 15 minutes of speeding across a field! Quite impressed with that.

The speed isn't really bothering me that much, she's quick enough to induce the all important smile, that's all that matters.

• 3 months later...

Yesterday the rear diff failed. One of the spider gears split clean in half. I replaced the entire diff with a stocker and more importantly replaced the 1/5 combo AND the CD conversion. I put the stock gearbox back c/w its own CD. She now sports a HW 1800kv sensored combo that I robbed from the ERBE.

To compensate for the drop from 2200 to 1800 kv, I've upped the pinion from stock 13, to a 16. This yields very slightly higher top speeds over stock gearing.

I feel that due to the weight of the car, a CD on its own isn't enough and that a slipper is essential.

A quick run in the park reminded me how much fun these cars are when they're on song!

Ha ha! Just melted a bullet on the motor, might have to drop the pinion down a couple of teeth. Either that or switch to 5S,I've just tested it on 5S and it's plenty fast enough.

Gotta love the whole testing process.

Might just have been shoddy soldering from the factory.

Just put another 5S pack through her, loads of jumps and speed runs, a really satisfying ten minutes! Yup, that's all it took! I was hard on the throttle and brakes, so it's to be expected.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Monumental amounts of want for this. How often do they come up for sale? Pref as a roller and for how much? I looked at converting but the bodyshell is one of the biggest issues from a financial standpoint!

I wouldn't bother. When they're singing on song, they're a huge amount of fun. However, they're immensely high maintenance and typical Savvy to work on. 

I love mine and have enjoyed trying all the different combos etc, but I wouldn't do it again. 

10 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Keep an eye out at PBM Racing, they have 5sc shell in for £69 posted from time to time.

Worth considering if you wish to convert.

Thanks for that!

im trying to buy the Alza 1/5 in the for sale forum. Needs work but he stopped responding after my offer, maybe I offended him?