• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tugs take on the S5!

Tug

Tug, what is wrong with the 5682 motor? Is the 1717 stronger and more powerful than the turnigy?

The 5682 is OK, but its shaft is 6mm, which makes pinions hard to get. Also, it's so fat that gearing any lower is almost impossible!

Tonight I've soldered up some 6.5mm male bullets directly onto some 4mm females. These adaptors will allow me to test yet another motor. I don't really need to, the 1717 is a good choice, but I'm enjoying this learning process. This latest 1717 seems slightly slimmer, just enough to drop the pinion by a tooth. Doesn't sound much, but that's an 8% drop from 13 down to 12. This latest motor I'd like to try is a Leopard 4092, 1480 kv. It's a bit slim at 40mm, but I'm curious to see how well it copes. It's slimmer size will allow lower gearing than with any of the other motors I've tried.

Back soon!

Edited by Tug

• 2 weeks later...

Gave her a proper bashing today, on 6s too! She coped well considering the cartwheels and barrel rolls she endured!

Motor temps did hit 73, but on 6s that's not surprising! She was going like the clappers!

First breakage today, a stub axle. Apparently a known weak spot. Spares ordered.

• 2 weeks later...

The 13 tooth pinion fell off and disappeared today, most annoying as it had been threadlocked on months ago.

So I put a 14 on ran her like that. It wasn't bad, but the motor was getting near to 60 Celsius again and that was only on 4s. I might be able to squeeze a 12 on, so I'll pick one up in the week and try. If it's too tight to mesh, I'll get another 13.

Edited by Tug

Best 5sc thread so far. Subscribed and looking forward in sharing some info on 5sc.

Regards from Dubai!!

Cheers, glad you liked it. I'm loving the 1717, but it does restrict you on gearing and voltage. The 2028 is another choice, but I'd be careful with that one as the torque would be immense in what is essentially a 1/8.

which motor is better? the leopard 4092 or the CC 1717?

In general or for the S5? Either way, the 1717 is the better of the two. It's immensely powerful for its size. I love it!

my s5 motor finally died  and now im stuck with the most difficult task of selecting a new can.

im stuck between castle 1717,2028 and leopard 58110. the ESC i use is toro ex 200a with 6s batteries and castle bec pro. my s5 is already weighty as it has proline (rear)bowties on all four corners and a seperate 3s lipo for the BEC which makes me believe that 1717 will have trouble keeping temps below the limits.

i also have plans of converting it into a 6x6 in the future and would accordingly invest in a motor now.

whichever motor i get, i will be powering it with 6s only.... plz advise!!

• 2 weeks later...

what runtimes can we expect on 1717 and 2028.

on my stock motor i was running 6s 5300 30c gens ace which always lasted for more than 25mins consisting mostly of speed runs. i did sum research on 2028 and from what i read i dont think  my batteries will last for more than 10 - 12 minutes :yucky:  :yucky: .

hpi is finally out with the gas engine for savage which can also be considered as it wud give longer runtimes!!! 

what runtimes can we expect on 1717 and 2028.

on my stock motor i was running 6s 5300 30c gens ace which always lasted for more than 25mins consisting mostly of speed runs. i did sum research on 2028 and from what i read i dont think my batteries will last for more than 10 - 12 minutes :yucky::yucky: .

hpi is finally out with the gas engine for savage which can also be considered as it wud give longer runtimes!!!

I probably manage about twenty minutes from 8000mah at 4s. That's understandable given the weight of the thing. The 2028 is half the kv of the 1717, but as it's also twice the size, I wouldn't expect much more than twenty minutes, you might need to up the voltage as well to compensate for the lower Kv.

Just had her out again, 5s on the 12/52 gearing, topped out at 36 mph, motor reached 73 Celsius.

She took a few nasty tumbles, but shrugged them all off!

Roll on Saturday!

• 2 weeks later...

Rear shocks have had new seals fitted. I expected better from HPI, not impressed with their shocks at the mo.

Thoroughly impressed with the 1717, but I'm getting itchy to try something new. The 1717 is coping OK, accelerating with aplomb, reaching top speeds that I'm plenty happy with. I just feel I'm asking a lot of it, the temps are reasonable, but higher than I'd like. So my attention had been drawn to the Leopard 56110, 780kv. Basically a copy of the 2028? Certainly very close to it, on looks and specs. Only downside I can see is sourcing pinions that are 8mm bore, but mod 1. Also, I've no idea what tooth count to get. It's basically half the kv of the 1717, so do I just double the tooth count? There's probably more to it than that, after all, the can size is far bigger than the 1717.

I've just swapped out the Savox 1256, it struggled to turn the wheels when they're on the ground. It now has a Hitec 7955, 24kg item. An improvement, but still struggling. So now I'm tempted by the Savox 1230, this produces 36kg of torque! If that don't cope, nothing will.

This is all getting a bit expensive, I'll sleep on it for now.

The car is still a keeper, make no mistake about that. It's also a lot of fun in its current guise, I just don't feel 100% satisfied yet.

The 1717 is an amazing motor, worth having just to say you own one. I'll be sure to keep putting it through its paces during the summer, I'll keep you updated on its performance and temps etc.

Latazz.

Yea leopard 58110 would be great in s5 but the only thing that worries me is the short runtimes it would get and the mighty diff blending torque it would produce. I assume GPM gears would keep the diffs intact.

I still haven

Neil at RW will be able to make pinions for you Tug ;)

Interesting thoughts about choice of power plant, hard to believe that the 1717 isn't the best fit...

As for fitting the octane engine, I'll come and slap you should that ever be a consideration ;)

• Like 1