• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

James' Slash 4x4

J.K

• 4 months later...

Mounted a 1:8 motor fan today, not a massive "fan" of fans but I'm a massive fan of the Dusty Motors shroud. Unfortunately the shroud raised the temps a fair bit and there's no way I'm ditching it especially with winter fast approaching! We'll see how she copes. I plan to paint the grille black when I get hold of a rattle can.

42EF0C39-9C43-484D-93B5-9201720BD3AF_zps

Edited by James1986

Exactly like me, "if you need a fan, you're geared wrong", but as I use a Dusty Motors shroud too, I use a fan just to make sure the motor isn't getting cooked. I could down-gear it, but I'm not prepared to lose speed for a shroud.

Aye, my motor runs close to the limit anyway, it seems happy but just seems to run hot regardless of gearing. The shroud saves me hours of cleaning but at the loss of a little air circulation.

Hoping to run her on Friday so I'll see how she goes!

Nottingham! :( Work are leaving me up there for the day on call. There's some nice terrain behind the hotel so I'm gona take the Slash to hopefully pass some time!

We'll def arrange a meet soon tho, the cars have barely been used over the summer and its nearly over!

I've had a reasonable amount of drive-time this summer, I promised myself I would, even if it was just over the road in the park. It's never the same on your own, but needs must. No point buying and upgrading them if they're just going to sit on a shelf.

Snapped another output yoke today, they really don't like 3S! That's now every corner broken and replaced.

Tekno shafts coming next me thinks....

• 2 weeks later...

All in due course Tuggles!

So this conversion gave me a good opportunity to have a proper tinker with the Slash as it hasn't required too much since I bought it. I thought it might be worth documenting since although it's not overly interesting, it might help others in the future.

Firstly, the reason for the conversion: since upgrading to 1:8 leccys and a MEGA torquey 6 pole motor, she's been eating the drivetrain, namely the output yokes. I started by removing the stock driveshafts, all of which were on their last legs:

846CFCE0-961E-4A1B-91B4-B6C73765575F_zps

Look at the twist on that!

I ordered the kit from Tower Hobbies in the states, cost me about 60 quid and somehow managed to slip through customs without fees which is a bonus! I started with the Slash, the Tekno kit, my toolbox and a beer.

F76B0309-AD7D-494B-AEFF-6AE43C61AE96_zps

I started with the front. First thing was to remove the stock plastic output yoke from the diff. This was swiftly replaced by Tekno's hardened steel yoke:

BF90CBDD-B40F-48A7-AC7E-7D209D95F21F_zps

Next up I had to swap out the stock steering knuckles for Tekno's nylon, RPM-style ones. This is worth bearing in mind if you own a Platinum and you like your anodised hubs! The new rear hubs in particular are MEGA beefy compared to stock (stock on left, Tekno on right):

F781248F-B773-4F84-8D66-11DCB3F68E24_zps

Edited by James1986
  • Like 1

Don't worry lads, nearly there! Next up, the business end - building the Hardened steel CVA's (don't know what that stands for). Nice and easy to put together and the quality feels amazing! You also get some brand new bearings for the new hubs.

85F27C2A-E699-4C71-84F1-7D082F7A4B78_zps

Bang it all together and job's a goodun:

DE222197-3F7E-4890-8412-440BAFD095BA_zps

The rear:

5B367E9A-6744-4F18-94CE-0B0D2C440F60_zps

I'm really pleased with the kit, it feels absolutely bomb proof so will hopefully solve my breaking drivetrain issue!

I did have one issue. On finishing the upgrade, I replaced the wheels to find they didn't quite fit properly. I'm running Proline Renegade wheels and when the wheel nuts were completely done up the wheels were still really loose and totally undriveable! It baffled me for a while, I double and triple checked the instructions to make sure I'd built them up correctly.

In order to solve the issue I had to insert some shims between the hex and the wheel. This is far from ideal especially when changing wheels and tyres in the field as I'm bound to lose some! I put the stock wheels on which immediately solved the problem. It appears the Proline wheels have a slight offset and aren't quite compatible with the Tekno stub axles. I've been back into the Tekno website and they say, "fully compatible with stock slash wheels without modification". Balls.

I'll keep running with the shims for now as my Proline Badlands are still fairly new with bags of tread!

Once I get a chance to run the new setup I'll post some feedback :good:

Tekno stuff is awesome. Had it on my slash for ages now, including the 17mm conversion kit. Only thing i have managed to break is one of the stub axles. Im pretty sure it was also covered by the lifetime warranty but typically it turned out less expensive to buy another than the postage back to the states.

The driveshafts do bend after some dodgey landings but only takes 2 mins to bend back :lol: