• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Solid axle used as a transfer case ?

came across a huge problem, the axial/rc4wd solid axles are just to long.

am not a newcomer to crawlers, just very out of touch with todays tech and how they have evolved 

since i last played with modding. i did a conversion of a 1/20th conversion to 1/12th using a kiddies cheap rc truck.

back in those days (2005) things were not as expensive and clodbusters were the in thing as crawlers went.

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/5226-a-tech-leo-x-truck-to-crawler/?hl=mglt-1

a little link to the conversion i done from start to finish.

now my problem lays with the scale size, the toy i am going to convert is a Bruder

landrover discovery 90, a kiddies push along toy but very scale detailing ( so good the tamiya guys use the semi bodys on the semi truck builds) the model is a 1/16th scale and the parts i am looking at are all 1/10th, so my crazy ideas and proof of theory looks good but ......

so heres what i have come up with. i need a transfer box to take motor and convert it to front an rear axle output shafts.

enter a tamiya pumpkin/lunchbox rear solid axle ( or i think of it as the very cheap clodbuster axle). this has motor mount and diff built into a sinlge solid rear axle.

my idea is shorten the axles drive outputs and mount it centered in chassis as a transfer box.

a couple traxass sliding shafts are used to connect the now axle transfer box to the front and rear axle input shafts

using traxass slider coupling. the motor now drives two output sider shafts connected to front and rear solid axles, instead of the big monster truck tyres.

Will It Work ? can you use a motor driven solid rear axle as a transfer case.

now as i can adjust pinion and spur in the solid axle motor mounting i can adjust speed at 

what the now axle into transfer case rotates the output shafts to the axle drives, hence i can adjust

speed and torque by changing gearing. so again i ask you 

Will it work ( theory looks bang on) ?

do you see any problems ? 

could you guys just lay my mind to rest, am pulling hair trying to work out a simple transfer case

I have no clue if that will work or not but it sounds good , but why not use a ready made tranafer box ? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=151102792809 , they are in uk too just the 1st link i came too lol , is it a case of making things from scratch and modding to work rather than buy ?

Jay

because i have to buy it, thats 22 quid or whatever used else where. 

i could just fork out the few hundred quid and get two axles, transfer case and a 3speed transmission.

but the cost means no chassis or electrics or anything else.

and the scale is the problem im working in 1/16th scale but everything i am looking at is 1/10th scale only.

the main problem is its a kiddies toy, freewheel push along. so no steering nothing.

everything has to made for the purpose.

good thing is 12th scale is fairly close to 1/16th, but being a toy it means everything needs to be fabricated from a mix

of rc parts, tamiya here, hpi there, like my last 2005 build when i was a 35yr old kid ( now im a lot older a little wiser, and slightly more crazy and geeked). 

think of it as taking a matchbox car and making it into a scaletrix car, but a slightly bigger scale. 

so the front end for steering you use a tamiya trailer steering axle.

the rear you use a fixed axle 

now you need to take the power from a motor and drive both front and rear axles, thats where my pumpkin axle comes in.

its a dual output drive ( left and right wheels = front an rear axle drives when shoved sideways in chassis)

because it has a motor already installed i have no need for a transmission case, and i do not need a transfer box,

well thats my thinking and pushing my enginering knowledge to its max.

so you take this kiddies toy 

02590b.jpg

and retro fit rc gear to get this 

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Rear gearboxes as transfer cases work fine once you lock the diff (if there is one)

Only problem with a Pumpkin rear end is the overall width of it - the gearbox halves and 'axle tubes' are one piece castings (I  think) so there's not much to saw off to fit it between the wheelbase.

Have you considered a Traxxas Stampede/Slash gearbox?

img169_23042006170714_5.jpg

img169_07012007190445_7.jpg

Or Tamiya Sand Scorcher/Buggy Champ/Rough Rider

img2707_20022004032248_5.jpg

Edited by TWINSET

had a think about a rustler gearbox , bullet proof they used to be.

but again trying to keep that scale look means i loose out on the fitted seating pan.

only other way is going a for a bigger model something like a semi and trailer

or a caddy van like the transit flatbed ( car porter), more space to hide the transmission and motor.

Maybe i need to research more get a good clear look on everything find some wheelbase sizes and likes