• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC Crew Chief

Quantra

I've avoided this software in the past due to it's restrictive 2 machines licence.  However last night I noticed they now do a 14 day trial so I thought I'd try it out.  I was really quite impressed with it.  Even if I don't know how to use it 100% yet I can still compare roll centres and roll stiffness between setups and between different cars.  So I put in my T4 setup and then made an Awesomatix setup with the same numbers.  I wonder now if my Awesomatix really will handle like my T4?!  It will be fun to find out.

Has anyone else had a go with this software yet?  Thoughts on it?  Here's where it lives: http://www.rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/  If you haven't tried it then I think it's worth taking the 14 day trial, there are no software restrictions just the time limit.

I've just purchased a fairly cheap small laptop to have at the track as with the Awesomatix apart from anything else having the interactive pdf set up sheet to hand to determine wheel rates is pretty essential.  So I think I will be buying a copy of this to go on my RC laptop.

Nothing for mac I'm afraid but I do run this on my Mac using Parallels and windows XP.  Parallels is a great bit of software that is worth investing in but there are likely cheaper or even free alternatives just have a google for 'virtual machines'.

So here is what I've been doing with the program:

T4VinceStock_zps0b945dc4.png

That's my favourite T4 setup but RC crew chief shows all the roll centres, camber gain, roll stiffness etc.  For this one all I had to do was download the T4 car pack and tweak the basic carpet setup sheet which is included to match my set up.

So what I've done with this is load up the Awesomatix model, adjust it slightly for the parts I'm using and mess with the setup until the numbers match that of my T4.  Hopefully I will end up with a car that handles a bit like my T4 and will be easier for me to start from to ultimately find a setup I can drive hard and fast.

It's surprisingly fun watching the animations and playing with settings to see what they do.  I'm sure I've only explored half of it so far.  Still I've taken a leap of faith, pulled my A700L to bits and set it up using the set up sheet I ended up with today.  Tomorrow it will go on the track so we will see what the result is like!

Well RC Crew Chief is a winner in my books.  Once I set the ackerman similar to my T4 my A700 really is handling a lot like it now.  Made my first A with the new car and got closer to the fastest laps than usual.  Very happy with the software and my car now =]

• 4 months later...

Limit on number of alternate positions has been raised. If you max out all the positions you will have a million suspension link positions to choose from.

There is a video on the website videos page that talks about and demos the changes implemented in the new version. I can't post links for some reason.