• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which nitro to get?

RCAdam

Vote for the best   

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these should I get?

• HPI Trophy 4.6 Truggy
    • HoBao Hyper ST Truggy

Firstly, sorry for another post, but I have finally whittled it down to a few nitros, this time fairly decent ones. It'll be my first nitro car so they'll probably look quite bad to some of you. 

1. HPI TRophy 4.6 Truggy http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-trophy-4.6-truggy-2.4ghz-rtr/rc-car-products/39708
  2. HoBao Hyper ST Truggy http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-st-truggy-rtr/rc-car-products/26445

HPI have awesome customer service and lots of spare parts and quite a lot of upgrades. The HoBao doesn't have as many but they're a lot cheaper. 

If there is anything (apart from fuel, glow starter, plugs and batteries) that I will need to buy that would be awesome, plus any failsafes that will fit the cars. 

So if you could please answer some of my thoughts/questions and anwser the poll that would be great.  :sweatdrop:

Edited by RCAdam

Being your first car id go with what has the best parts availability, so you will need to spend a bit of time researching that

Only main differences with 4wd and 2wd is traction, you will get a bit better traction with 4wd, however with 2wd you have 3 less driveshafts to lose/break.

Personally id go with the hpi or kyosho.

Hope this in some way helped :)

ive found the opposite to that the firestorm is way easier to handle, id choose the firestorm as it is such a tough car ive put mine thru hell and nothings broke so far and its all stock now ive had mine over a year so the one of the things on the way out is the throttle servo that was glitching becuase of water getting in some how :( and the other thing  that works perfectly fine is the ariel on the transmitter remote which broke but i super glued it and it works fine so its lasted me nicely so far and everything else is still all good :) all in all very good value for money :)

Being your first car id go with what has the best parts availability, so you will need to spend a bit of time researching that

Only main differences with 4wd and 2wd is traction, you will get a bit better traction with 4wd, however with 2wd you have 3 less driveshafts to lose/break.

Personally id go with the hpi or kyosho.

Hope this in some way helped :)

Yeah I agree, with a name like Hong Nor, we can guess straight away where this is from! I like the idea of 4WD because it will be better off road and very good on road as well. Are driveshafts expensive/do they break easily? You mean the Kyosho Inferno right?

Yeah I agree, with a name like Hong Nor, we can guess straight away where this is from! I like the idea of 4WD because it will be better off road and very good on road as well. Are driveshafts expensive/do they break easily? You mean the Kyosho Inferno right?

Driveshafts dont break often and arent too expensive, As for which kyosho both look pretty solid, I'd personally go for whichever has the best parts availability, but if your going for looks id go for the DBX.

Edited by Ewan.Mackay

Looks like it's between the Firestorm and the Inferno, I think the 4WD on the Inferno will be really handy if I use it offroad like rough car parks and fields as well as on road. Its also 1:8 scale which I've heard is better, but I love the customer support of HPI. 

You get a 2yr parts warranty on part faliures (not caused by driving) with the HPI, and it's a cinch to work on too.

Parts support is outstanding, just type Hpi Firestorm into ebay will bring up 1000+ items for instance.

Only upgrades really needed are a set of T Bone bumpers and a set of cvd's.

• Like 1

what are cvd? ive heard of the term a couple times but never heard or seen what they actually are skid plate on front dose fine :)

CVD driveshafts connect the wheel side of the car so they cant fall out, So instead of the usual dogbone holders they are swapped for a solid piece attached to the driveshaft, http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ArrowmaxMRX5CVD.jpg

Sorry this is off-topic but it hopefully helps

Hong Nor for me, they are so so tough cars you will do well to break anything.

Kyosho is obviously a big name in RC's, but I am not sure how good there budget cars are.

• 2 weeks later...

I will like it to be big and noisy (boys will be boys) and I heard the hpi is quiet. I was also told by modelsport that the kyosho inferno neo (the one I linked to) is not being made any more and a 2nd version will be replacing them with the only difference being the shell and wheels. I am guessing that most parts will fit the old one (which I might get) so there will hopefully be a good supply of them as it is new.

Personally, I have no hands on experience of those mentioned.

Get some more views, and read the negative press, if any, as well - always helps.

Al.

Thanks anyway, can you maybe get some people to respond to this thread? The more votes the better!