• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The life of a Stampede 4X4

mydoddy69

Wow that's some super clean looking truck. Must say i do like the looks of the mashers !!

Picture looks red but it is orange. Went for the mashers as they were a monster truck style. The trenchers are more short course. Can't wait till I can get it out.

Been out testing this today and well, the shocks are now a little to soft the slipper is spinning way to much.. It cogs slightly nothing to bad but its there none the less not as much as the mini 8 out the box but i shall try dropping the gearing to see what i can do to help it .. Stock tires are just useless and just kept coming of so they need replacing with the trenchers soon as and some thread lock on there to be safe.. Oh and i have just stripped out the diffs was thinking they be all covered in the usual cheap grease but to my shock they actually had diff oil in them

DSC01782_zps32392c04.jpg

So after a quick clean i have gone for 60 up front and 30 on the rear see how that tickles me fancy :thumbsup:

As for the slipper going to order up a revo one and for the shocks a couple of traxass red springs and a few losi ones see what works best for me

Also i have got rid of the cable tie on the wheelie bar and instead replaced it with a good old rubber band and a little fancy thread work ..now it stays up and if it pops out it don't drag on the floor but at the same time it still has that flex it needs for those rear end landings   :yes:

Ive read a bit about the diff oil and seen a lot advising to use 30 at front and 50 to 75 in the rear to help with wear and a straight ride even power distribution? is this true? i may be slightly off as i see a lot said on the traxxas forums but cant get them to load at the minute.

I ask as i have 30 here for front and was going to use 60 in the rears?

Normally guys run thicker up front and thinner in the rear as it helps stop all the power go up front .. Different thickness in oils aids to the tuning process so how you like it is really up to you.. You have plenty there so a little trial an error never hurt's and may give you a better understanding .. The great thing about these trucks is 4 bolts pretty much holds each end on so there a dream to work on..

Just remember not to overfill the diff here is a little gem for you might help you understand a little more 

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/163191-differential-setupsoils-etc/

thanks for the advice and link, i only said this due to a few place i read and the following was the result, second post from bottom is the final outcome but i guess all experiences are going to be different and i love the hobby already, just trying to get an overview of a good all terrain setup, but more off road. http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?8898364-All-over-the-place

also been looking at this suspension kit - http://prolineracing.com/performance-parts/protrac-suspension-kit-stampede4x4/ no stock at present though, it is said to help with stability.

Edited by Atomic7431

Yep heard good things about the protrac as for the traxxas forum sorry but halve of what you read on there is pure fantasy and as such i don't use the site.. Plus if you have an opinion other than the one Traxxas like you get banned  

oh lol i see, live and learn live and learn. my wish list just gets bigger and bigger, and will try things with 60 front and 30 rear as you have it and see how it goes then, found another video on the tube showing a 4x4 stampede and its diffs being taken apart and cleaned up and refilled. Some great info out their just need to widdle out the crap hey  :sly:

Edited by Atomic7431

My wheels and tyres arrived this morning.

IMG_0248_zps2d1013b8.jpg

I really like the look of this truck.

It somehow just 'comes together'.

I thought the wheels were too big at first, but its 'growing' on me.

Al.

just been using the overlander rc6-vsp charger for the first time to balance charge my also unused turnigy 6400 3s lipos. Not sure what charge times are normally like for these and the cells were at 3.82v per cell and now all 4.20v per cell and this process has taken just short of 38 minutes. So taking my 6 year old boy for a run later with his rc (just a cheap one from year or so back) promised him a better one if he still interested in the hobby in a year or so time. I like the display on the charger and the way you can check the cells as they charge and everything has stayed super cool as well. Does anyne know if i can change the maximum v each cell is allowed to charge too ie say 4.19v instead of 4.20v as ive heard it can prolong a lipos life span? IMAG0437_zps3d49b3ce.jpg

ebb5fe60-7b2f-4cb2-8307-af75e6f077fd_zps

must buy an balance extension lead asap.

Edited by Atomic7431

looks just like a core uac-50 charger :D

yeah balance extender defo needed lol hobbyking have them dirt cheap but they are always on back order!

if you dont have any luck drop me a message i have a few spare :thumbsup:

4.20 is fine, 38 minutes is a quick enough charge mind you it won't be that quick next time out..  Always make sure after you have finished to put them in storage mode, I find the traxxas LVC a little low so you may want to keep an eye on them if you have a checker.. There only cheap and a good investment get one of the bay for a few quid like this.. It has a built in alarm as well .. you just plug it into the balance lead and then when your out bashing it will bleep when you get to the set cut off.. Just a backup so you don't run them down to low and if you set it for 3.60 time you get home the lipo's have rested and it doesn't take too long then to put them in storage..

$T2eC16FHJGgFFme5(Y-BBR+H!+ffrQ~~60_12.J

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8S-Lipo-Battery-Tester-Checker-Low-Voltage-Buzzer-Alarm-/290955696228?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item43be4f9864

And a lead if you need it 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-Balance-Extension-Charger-Cable-Lead-3s-JST-XH-3-cell-11-1V-/230782468199?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item35bbb50067

wow more great advice thanks peeps :)

ok so now i have run my first lipo 3s and this has happened, now i havent bashed it very hard tonight i was on a gravel/tarmac dirt road with kerbs and thats about it, i did flip the car a couple of times and the following has happened - 

IMAG0440_zps03cc0ece.jpg

thoughts please??

also i had charged up both lipos so do i need to discharge the one i havent used or will it be ok until tomorrow?

the lipo i used was at 3.76v when i put it on the charger to storage charge it.

And thanks for the links will order those asap as the cable length is just silly lol

Edited by Atomic7431

Not really good practice to leave packs charged .. Try using some non slip mat in the battery tray it helps stop your packs getting scratched and banged up

Well i tried to shim this rear diff up to prolong it's life today it lasted a 3s pack but then came that ever familiar sound again so i have had no choice but to order up some new and improved diffs.. When they show i'll share some pics and stuff

On another note still no sign of these motor's or the other bits i ordered and the motor mount bearing is showing signs of wear i shall for now just re-grease the bugger but i may look toward upgrading to the larger one or try some metal sealed bearings in there  

Edited by mydoddy69

just cleaned out the rear diffs and there was hardly any fluid in the diff housing and little grease on the outer is it pinion ?

Put 30000 wt diff fluid in the rear now so will see how i get on with that and at least i now know it actually has some in there now lol.

2013-10-26213844_zpsb2cdb917.jpg
2013-10-26213909_zpsa3bde8c7.jpg
2013-10-26213225_zps99e665a9.jpg
2013-10-26213212_zps3993c967.jpg
2013-10-26213120_zps6c8743ba.jpg

not much in or on there  :whistling:

took me a couple of hours with stripping the back end down and cleaning everything with wd40 and then re filling and putting back together.