• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The life of a Stampede 4X4

mydoddy69

I find the stock shocks fine ive never popped a cap but obviously mines a Slash 4x4 so a bit different and I would say less strain on the Slash shocks.

I have bent the stock shafts before though but never had a problem since fitting these:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-shock-shafts-hardened-steel/rc-car-products/35584

Have you got some pictures now you have got the body down, that's one thing I hate about the Pede 4x4 is the way the body sits higher than the chassis.

Thanks.

Silly me forgot to put them up no point saying it looks good if you can't see it 

DSC01765_zps048be7e6.jpg

DSC01766_zpsb40cd571.jpg

I think its way lower and just looks so much better now !!

So i have been out beating the snot out of this thing and i must say boy its fun brings back all that joy when i first got into rc years ago flooding back !!

Anyway back to the matter in hand now i have on order some MIP drive shafts that will show at some point soon, but the rears are showing some wear and im not sure how long there last 

DSC01756_zpscb127391.jpg

This is the better out the 2 there starting to twist up under load, its mainly just the male end and the yokes.. So i had a little think and hunt round and thought what if i swap the front to the rear as the fronts are not so worn. but that means in time i'm either going to get lucky and they hold up till the new MIP's show or they all break  :shockingscary:

I think there torque twisting and that's because there hollow?? So this is what i have done whether it works or not at this moment i can't say but worth a try ??

Found a pack of these which just so happens to be a nice fit inside the male ends all but a little long

DSC01751_zpsd3f73274.jpg

Test fitted one and marked it

DSC01752_zpsa9b68bcd.jpg

Cut the end off

DSC01754_zpsc201e5e1.jpg

Then i use some epoxy to glue them in this stuff

DSC01755_zps40e15a2e.jpg

Repeated it on all four male drives hafts then swapped the front with the rear left it to dry over night as it slow cure then took it out for a blast today .. Ran 4 3s packs through it and to my shock surprise it seems to hold up much better, maybe to early to really say if its a great improvement but seeing as i had the stuff to hand no harm trying i guess 

• Like 1

So i have been out beating the snot out of this thing and i must say boy its fun brings back all that joy when i first got into rc years ago flooding back !!

Anyway back to the matter in hand now i have on order some MIP drive shafts that will show at some point soon, but the rears are showing some wear and im not sure how long there last 

DSC01756_zpscb127391.jpg

This is the better out the 2 there starting to twist up under load, its mainly just the male end and the yokes.. So i had a little think and hunt round and thought what if i swap the front to the rear as the fronts are not so worn. but that means in time i'm either going to get lucky and they hold up till the new MIP's show or they all break  :shockingscary:

I think there torque twisting and that's because there hollow?? So this is what i have done whether it works or not at this moment i can't say but worth a try ??

Found a pack of these which just so happens to be a nice fit inside the male ends all but a little long

DSC01751_zpsd3f73274.jpg

Test fitted one and marked it

DSC01752_zpsa9b68bcd.jpg

Cut the end off

DSC01754_zpsc201e5e1.jpg

Then i use some epoxy to glue them in this stuff

DSC01755_zps40e15a2e.jpg

Repeated it on all four male drives hafts then swapped the front with the rear left it to dry over night as it slow cure then took it out for a blast today .. Ran 4 3s packs through it and to my shock surprise it seems to hold up much better, maybe to early to really say if its a great improvement but seeing as i had the stuff to hand no harm trying i guess 

people do the same thing with the wb8`s you get on the scx10 and wraith it does seem to hold up quite well

Been out beating the snot out of this all afternoon and came home with a bust rear wheelie bar mount not such a good idea the cable tie !!.. Its ripped the bottom bolts out but i have came up with a simple fix, just add a couple of steel washers and job done simple but effective !!. :thumbsup: 

One other thing these bolts that the truck comes with are made of some sort of soft cheese there absolute rubbish bent quite a few now . So went through my box of bolts some i have some not made an order with a place i just found on the bay for the ones i don't have  super cheap but i'll wait till they show before i say any more 

Been out beating the snot out of this all afternoon and came home with a bust rear wheelie bar mount not such a good idea the cable tie !!.. Its ripped the bottom bolts out but i have came up with a simple fix, just add a couple of steel washers and job done simple but effective !!. :thumbsup:

One other thing these bolts that the truck comes with are made of some sort of soft cheese there absolute rubbish bent quite a few now . So went through my box of bolts some i have some not made an order with a place i just found on the bay for the ones i don't have  super cheap but i'll wait till they show before i say any more 

I told you those wheely bars were useless :)

Try a Tbone or Swami.

I told you those wheely bars were useless :)

Try a Tbone or Swami.

There not that bad its more the way they mount than anything.. I may end up just making it short by just attaching the wheels to the solid bit of the frame and doing away with the adjuster looks do able .. I don't like the swami bar it looks like something i could knock up myself out of some alloy plate a bit of bar and some landing wheels  :shockingscary: .. T bones are great but i just don't fancy the look on this one i may however get the servo guard but till it gets a problem i shall wait ..

It's about time traxxas beefed up the drive shafts on these .

Looks like Vaterra have a rival for the stampede 4x4 looks impressive on the YouTube vid .

you would think they would for the price of them!

Yeah the wp sc8 is going in this not yet sure on the Trackstar but it was free other than the postage so thought why not !!.. 

For those of you that dont know this is what we are on about 

DSC01773_zpsb11d974a.jpg

DSC01772_zpsb1e7f6eb.jpg

Little bit of modifying and it will all fit like a dream .. Going to make up a plate for the esc out of some old carbon fiber sheet i have i shall get some pics of the process for you guys as i go 

Edited by mydoddy69
  • Like 1

Yep its a 2350 kv 1/8th scale buggy motor ..Reason i went with this was so i can get a nice turn of speed but not have the super high temps of the stock system ..It may well cog pretty bad it may well run like a charm but seeing it cost no more than the postage thought may as well give it a go ..

• Like 1