• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Strange ESC/motor problem.

DreXeL

I have a strange problem with this ESC:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17979__turnigy_160a_1_8th_scale_sensorless_esc_w_fan.html

When I try to use it with a Castle 1512 2650kv it just cogs badly and doesn't even start turning, and just heats up the motor, ESC and motor wires. It's the exact same story if I try it on a Tenshock SC401 4000kv. However, when I try it on my Castle 1515 2200kv it works just fine??

Is it a motor timing issue? I'm a bit loathe to spend the money on the programming box to change the timing if it's not going to solve the problem. And unfortunately you can't adjust 'initial power' even with the box..

Edited by DreXeL

that's weird. The Castle 1512 and 1515 are both 1Y motors.

I know it's pretty obvious, but are you happy with the bullet connections on all of the motors? I once had a similar problem with a sensorless motor and it was just a really bad solder join on the bullet (my bad!).

Pretty certain it's not the bullet connections as both the 1512 and SC401 work fine with another ESC. It's not the battery connections either, otherwise it wouldn't run the 1515 :/

It could be to do with the ammount of poles in the motors ... Just a guess tho- u could probably find out on the motor manufacturers websites

That was my initial suspicion, but it works fine with my 1515 :/

i had this very problem yesterday bud

turned out it was the soldering i did to the bullets on the ESC, done them again and hey presto it worked!

i'd try it mate, got nothing to loose :thumbsup:

Pretty sure that's not the problem, the motor works fine with another ESC so the eliminates the soldering on the motor bullets, and they plug directly into the troublesome ESC.

Buy cheap esc, get problems- go figure. That doesn't even look like a 1/8 esc really, and only being rated for 4s lipo makes me even more suspicious that it's just a 1/10 esc with a nice case & label.

I'd guess it may be a kv rating issue- 2200kv works fine, but anything higher than that has trouble and won't spin; hmm...

Edited by suicideneil

Buy cheap esc, get problems- go figure. That doesn't even look like a 1/8 esc really, and only being rated for 4s lipo makes me even more suspicious that it's just a 1/10 esc with a nice case & label.

I'd guess it may be a kv rating issue- 2200kv works fine, but anything higher than that has trouble and won't spin; hmm...

Yeah I think you are probably right TBH. I was hoping it would be OK as I've been running two 150A Turnigy Trackstar ESCs for a long time with zero problems, one of which I run my 1515 on 5s with. Physically it's the same size as the 150a (doesn't mean much I know) so I was expecting it to work just as well.

I'll probably just sell it on and pick up a xerun....

Edited by DreXeL

Its weird, spec says 2-4s but the esc itself says 3-5s.id say the castles possibly pull more than 120a, I know the Turnigy Trackstar 2650 is 126a draw so this could be the problem. I wouldnt use anything less than a 150a esc to be honest on a solid castle motor, I know the MMM is only 120a but they do catch fire. Id use a HK150 esc personally, says only 2 pole but that is billhooks, only ever used 4 pole motors in my buggies with that esc, doesn't bat an eyelid even on 6s.

Yep. Something weird on the specs of this ESC. A 120A nominal ESC should run a peak current of more than 160A, plus peak 5S autovoltage cutoff ??!??

Seems to me like a downgrade from an HK150!

N