• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Dolphin 16 Cabin Cruiser (Mechano Magazine 1967) Plan included

Tamiyacowboy

a little info for above photos. 

it is best to stick the windows in now, so take the window sections you cut out and run a knife around them leaving a rough 3-5mm

around the outline. 

now you need to find some thin clear plastic, so hunt around for an old toy box or something that has a clear viewing area

my jetboat box had a viewing window so i cut that and used the acetone to make my windows. ( acetone - what we today call lexan)

so you have those window sections now cut out, we gotta glue them so it is best to use a tiny amount of wood glue or superglue.

if using superglue we will use the wicking method.

lay your acetone so you cover the window area, now take a new tube of superglue, i say new because the tip will be very fine.

gently squeeze gluetube so you have a tiny ball of glue on the tip. now touch the side of the acetone and the wood, notice how the glue wicks under the acetone into the wood. do this all the way around. be very careful, one drop in the wrong place can turn your nice clear window into one with a ugly glue spot.

once done place them aside for atleast an hour, we want to make sure the bond is good, dont touch them just let the sit and rest.

jobs done, you will use the same method to afix the front window to a long strip around 45mm wide.

well here we are again.

now i hope it all went well for you with your glazing of the cabin sides. and you have cut and shaped those front window sills.

you should also have maybe mounted them to, so use superglue and bosh them onto the frames as so. 

iH3JYja.jpg

ao2Nr6E.jpg

like above you can see how we have a little wedge shape froming at the bottom sill, the same is shown on the plans, it is unusual

but we will keep to the plan in hand.

next is the cabin side frames, because we removed the bulk of the cabin bock from frame number four we need to make a small brace.

what i done was to cut my two window stringers from rectangle 6.5mm thick sheet. this gave me a nice curved former

i could use to string across the cabin where frame four sits. see below image for what i mean.

1HSSKaX.jpg

here we are like above the rear of the cabin needs a little beef so that curved bar i had done the job well. now shape up a sheet

of 2.5mm balsa lay your cabin upon it and trace out your cabin roof section, you may want to glue two sheets together or use a couple three wide strips

glued to form a larger sheet. let it sit once glued for a good hour or so, even more if you use woodglue.

once dry and you feel its safe to work with use wood glue and glue it to your cabin use some weights ontop to hold it nice and flat.

do not worry if your roof is slightly squarish we will use our trusty womans nail file to add some shape.

so you now should have something that looks like this 

rKd5fPq.jpg

looks mighty fine dont you you think and if you are holding yours in your hands i bet you feel proud.

a couple sheets and a couple sticks and glue has made something that looks like a boat.

well thats about it folks, a rough guide to newbie model boat building.

we have a couple more things to do, add some rubbing strips , pop some filler on and sand down.

then we can paint it, or fiberglass it, then we shall finish by making a stand for it.

toodle pips and tally ho till next time

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Video's take alot more work,  and would extend a build's time frame.

plus i dont like being infront of a camera, or talking on one. so

again i decline the need for video lol.

anyways, guess what. this huge giant man eating spider attacked me last night

and in the ensuing battle the boat got smashed. ............. yeah i am fibbing

infact i spent a little time filling out the V gap between the window and deck,

i also built a small hatch on the front bow section to.

now i have had an idea, find a plastic model car kit that has a detailed engine.

something like small chevy from around the 60'70's 

use some of the plastic spines to form water cooling pipes and hoses, etc etc.

and kind of marine'fy the motor kit. then build a small hatch in rear deck and mount the engine inside.

but am still toying on the idea of a 1-3v japanese vintage model outboard ( seen one at 39.99)

and its a johnson in white lol, Anyways a couple pictures to come later of the added extras.

OR i could MAKE an outboard motor. see the PDF link below for a balsa built working outboard motor.

belt driven using a rubber band/pully belt

http://eezebilt.hobby-site.com/robodrive2.pdf

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Video's take alot more work,  and would extend a build's time frame.

plus i dont like being infront of a camera, or talking on one. so

again i decline the need for video lol.

the bit about the work is very true, but i enjoy it oddly enough, just don't like the idea of being on camera.

its a shame you won't do it, also a shame i can't build a boat or i would do it lol

• Like 1

if people think the cabin cruiser may be a little to far out of their league,

thats ok, i do have a second tutorial in this same area for a very simple tugboat.

it will NOT be as fast as a cabin cruiser but will have the power to push a pumpkin

around in the water. have a look and check it out, a very simple model

but all the same very fun. a perfect entry to the building of your own craft.

you are free to make your own wheelhouse design, add a crane if you wish

and other parts , maybe a winch and some model people.

well the cruiser, hmmmm .......

As for the cruiser, i am happy with its looks and the styling, now i need to grab some filler

and show you how to finish your models correctly. i have some lumps and bumps to remove and blend

so a lot of sanding and checking by eye, its more time consuming but the longer spent the better it will become.

we are going to use some stinky chemicals and some tissue paper to cover the boat

to make a very strong skin like finish this will then be painted with either acrylic and/or enamel, if you imagine a drum skin, thats what we shall

make to cover our boat. its to help take the beating of the waves on the bow and the hull.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

added a couple more bits. pictures will follow. 

first i done the rubbing strips. these run from the transom to around 1/3rd - 1/4th the way along the hulls side.

and i also glued down the whole cabin. now it is a solid single unit , i keep going back and touching up with the

trusty nail file ( thanks Mom i owe you lol) on any areas that i see and need very heavy working.

things start to slow down in pace here as you start to fine tune the model to how you envisage the final model

and toil of your hard work. you will also find over time you will always go back to a model and keep adding small bits you find to complete

your hard work. 

catch you soon and i will throw a few images up, i have not forgot you or the little Dolphin

hello ladys and gents boys and girls we are back again for another installment.

so power system, the dolphin really needs a drive system, but what would be best.

a 380 sized brushed motor or maybe a speed 400. or maybe a little outrunner brushless.

a solid prop shaft and stuffing tube and a old style rudder, sounds good do you think ?.

lets skip forward in technology do away with the prop and the solid stuffing tube propshaft job.

hmmm they are the same size, one modern one vintage hmmmm Modintage ......... a blend of old and new ( copyright tami lol)

BozjodQ.jpg

so this is a dolphin sat beside a kiddies toy NQD jetboat you find them on amazon from around

I'd missed this build first time round as I was out of hte country....but just caught up with it now. Looks really tidy and very old-school. Should be very interesting to see how it takes to a jet drive too ... plus...being balsa...it will be a lot easier to attach and seal the drive compared to the flimsy Chinese plastic boat hull. That flexed a lot...which meant you couldn't use any solid resin to seal it.

Should have a decent turn of speed too :)

Nice build chap, lovely little cruiser should be interesting with a jet pump LOL

thank you buddy, shame i could'nt have made it slightly smaller it would fit nice on a tamiya low loader trailer ;)

I'd missed this build first time round as I was out of hte country....but just caught up with it now. Looks really tidy and very old-school. Should be very interesting to see how it takes to a jet drive too ... plus...being balsa...it will be a lot easier to attach and seal the drive compared to the flimsy Chinese plastic boat hull. That flexed a lot...which meant you couldn't use any solid resin to seal it.

Should have a decent turn of speed too :)

i also have a tow/tug boat build running, slightly bigger but the same type of wood build using simple tooling.

HEEHEEHEE. LIGHT BODY, BIG MOTOR. WHO COULDN'T LOVE THIS BUILD  :yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :thumbsup:

yep but the reason why i went to a 25a esc instead of 35a. i would like boat to ride to plane but not overly powerful.

yes to some speed but not overly, i have to worry about the construction and the adhesive used ( superglue is brittle bonding so shatters easy)

bow wave slams could pull away the front hull pannels or cause a fibreglass break, i would skin this very light with around a .2oz tissue.

and very very thin spreading and wetting agent ( epoxy)

• 11 months later...

those are 1:1 boats so the hulls are nice but

only for ideas and coloring schemes.

i may be returning to the dolphin soon, i have the jetpump primed 

and stripped with re-build, and its going to need a new home in a new hull 

so a jetdrive dolphin sounds like the next project and step of this build.

i have a glass supply and a resin base supply now so i can start to pool the needed items together

and finish the dolphin off.

Edited by Tamiyacowboy

Wow the last post you made on here tam was a year ago all but one day!!. Now I know some folks say there putting there project on ice for a while but this is more like frozen in permafrost !!! ;)

Only pulling chain fella but it would be a nice ending to see this actually getting wet and riding a wave or 2 !

• 1 month later...
hello 
I was very interested in your topic and I decided to build a dolphin, it is not finished (sanding and sanding), but soon the water. 
Glad to see these old boats on the water.
Thank you for making discover this pretty little boat  :wub:
I hope I have not written too much silliness

dolphin.jpg
dolphinjh.jpg
dilophn.jpg
dolptrfv.jpg
Edited by replay

• 7 years later...

Hi - I know this is a REALLY old post but.....

When I was a kid, my dad had a real life 1:1 dolphin 16 and googling them I cam across this post .  He is 80 next year and I would dearly love to be able to make this for him for his birthday.  Unfortunately I don't think I have the skills - I don't suppose anyone has built one that is  gathering dust in their lof and they wan to part with it?  Or maybe build me one for cash?

I'm based near Norwich.  Photo attached o the actual boat - I'm the little chubby one 🙂

cheers

Jeremy

IMG_0882.png