• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Views on ftx punisher

Jamma119

Lol I've owned one for a year and its been bashed hard and you can't bash an hpi like it this is from someone who has owned both.if you buy one bin the engine and stick a 27 cy engine in it.only had to change the gear carrier which is needed,apart from that nothing's broken.its been jumped and cleared 20' at 2 meters in the air.

They aren't really for racing if that's what you intend to do.

Edited by prussian.guard

A good second hand one,with all the ify bits sorted may well be worth looking at,depends how much,i got one new,but would not do that again,im still running the stock motor with a jetpro pipe +a FG air filter,not the fastest car maybe,they can take a fair amount of knocks,i also have an FG Monster Beetle,that was not new,of the two,the FG is in my mind a better buy,but I do like my Punisher Plus

Goldman :030:

A good second hand one,with all the ify bits sorted may well be worth looking at,depends how much,i got one new,but would not do that again,im still running the stock motor with a jetpro pipe +a FG air filter,not the fastest car maybe,they can take a fair amount of knocks,i also have an FG Monster Beetle,that was not new,of the two,the FG is in my mind a better buy,but I do like my Punisher Plus Goldman :030:

What are the ify bits that need sorting out mate?

What are the ify bits that need sorting out mate?

The clutch bell carrier needs changing to an alloy one.the front c hubs break but can easily be fixed with a bit of metal and the engine mounting the clutch carrier bolts to will distort if over tightened causing the clutch bell to sit crooked and eventually snap.apart from that they are solid.

The clutch bell carrier needs changing to an alloy one.the front c hubs break but can easily be fixed with a bit of metal and the engine mounting the clutch carrier bolts to will distort if over tightened causing the clutch bell to sit crooked and eventually snap.apart from that they are solid.

I see, thanks mate.

I just changed the front c hubs for new ones and new screw kit for them via seemed like a lot of slop going on with the wheels and old c hubs had the metal bracket done to them lol.

The pinion, large gear and clutch bell makes an awful clangy noise, would alloy clutch carrier sort that out. The mesh on the cogs looks a little off by a good few mill.

Mines the punisher pro (got it off richarddenton )

I see, thanks mate.

I just changed the front c hubs for new ones and new screw kit for them via seemed like a lot of slop going on with the wheels and old c hubs had the metal bracket done to them lol.

The pinion, large gear and clutch bell makes an awful clangy noise, would alloy clutch carrier sort that out. The mesh on the cogs looks a little off by a good few mill.

Mines the punisher pro (got it off richarddenton )

The gears do rattle anyway.take your clutch carrier off and see if the plastic mounts on the inside are squashed where they have been over tightened.the gears should sit straight with each other.

I'll check it out tonight! It had alloy spacers between the clutch housing and clutch carrier (square plastic part).

Do these have any issues with plastic diff housings and plastic engine mounts?

They seem similar to fg's with the wheel squares and gear/clutch/engine mount setup?

Hi ify bits,my car was new,outa the box,servos,one failed all three wires of at circuit board,did resolder them on,so far ok,Lot of problems with RC gear,got flysky in the end,was due to an ignition coil problem,or put it this way,a new coil sorted it,plastic/nylon ends on some of the turnbuckle/rods whatever,fitted incorrectly,failling under power,rear wheel gave way because of this,the engine is not the best,theres a few who have put in CYs orZens, mine seemed to have been thrown togeather& not very well at that,theres a few posts on forum in regards to the punisher upgrades,the list is fairly long,ive done a few mods myself,i used cap heads in chubs,them things they use were rubbish,loctite on all the bolts I could find plus drive cup grubs screws that fell out.

This was my first petrol,some of the things are sort of a must do on most makes,so I have read,but think the punisher I got was a real bad ass,its getting better,but now its a case of fix when required.as for alloy upgrades,well for bashing it will stick with the cheaper parts,not putting the money into it.My FG will get all that,just seems a better car all round.

I went over some of the punisher last night and found (and fixed):

Grub screw on some of the cups very loose, slop/movement in rear wheels (shimmed), few other screws/bolts a little loose.

Took the clutch bell out and it's vented, clutch has 8k spring. I shimmed the drive gears to allign the mesh as it was a good few mill off. The gears are steel vented (lightweight?) and ratio isn't stock (I think the small gear is 35t(?) not sure what stock is 37t?).

Mine has a "new" 26cc (losi 5t) with switchblade and I fitted my futaba 3pl and set all that up on the bench.

Quite impressed with the build quality and size of the ftx destroyer shocks that came with it.

Anybody know if an fg beetle shell would fit?

Cheers

Oh and if anybody has an alloy gear carrier for sale let me know please ;-)

Think you can get a beetle shell to suit punisher,think freeprawn had some a while ago,i have FG beetle,will have a look tomoz,but don't think it will go on as is,will post what I find ok.

Think you can get a beetle shell to suit punisher,think freeprawn had some a while ago,i have FG beetle,will have a look tomoz,but don't think it will go on as is,will post what I find ok.

Yeah bit pricey new tho (as is all ftx punisher parts lol).

I'm sure an fg beetle would fit with higher shell mounts and some cutting on the shell, be good to know for sure tho

Had my one a few years now and it's been by far a better basher then my 5b and 5t, Plus they are as cheap as chips 2nd hand. great cars for the price imo,

Hey mate, how you been? (Didn't we meet up down in Kent where I sold you some parts and had a little mini bash?)

They do seem solid IMO but shame not many ppl do hopups for them and the ones a available are pricey

Had a look at fg shell,you would need to mod fixing posts back & front,i have jetpro pipe on,just looking at it,its going to need a chunk out of back,not impossible,but the freeprawn version may be  better in the longrun,and you still need to get mod mounting posts to use that too,really depends if you want to spend some time doing it,like owt else could work out in the end.Has anyone else done one?,mabe a search on forum,or try in google,for pics etc.

Had a look at fg shell,you would need to mod fixing posts back & front,i have jetpro pipe on,just looking at it,its going to need a chunk out of back,not impossible,but the freeprawn version may be  better in the longrun,and you still need to get mod mounting posts to use that too,really depends if you want to spend some time doing it,like owt else could work out in the end.Has anyone else done one?,mabe a search on forum,or try in google,for pics etc. Goldman :030:

Thanks for checking mate!

Just done a search and found toys4x4boys has/had a punisher with a fg beetle shell fitted. He used body posts mounted to spark plug cover and a long fg for front mount. Looks quite good IMO

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/89447-toys4x4boys-punisher-thread/page-13

• 9 years later...
On 14/08/2013 at 11:25, prussian.guard said:

Hey mate, where did you get the alloy clutch bell mount from, please?

• Haha 1