• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo battery loosing charge

postie90

I have 2 second hand team overlander 2s 6500 mah, both charge ok, I use a fusion smart guard 2 to check voltage, the one is fine, the other shows 0% and if I try to charge there's an error connection break? Is this lipo nackered now? When I first had it, the one also lost some charge week to week, after a few weeks the charge dropped to 60% on the one lipo.... If its buggered how do I dispose off them? Thanks.

well theres your problem

lipos should be stored at 60% capacity or 3.8v per cell. storing them fully charged can damage the cells

the big lipo guide on this forum shoyld give you some more info into it bud

i would be investing in a lipo checker, only a couple of quid from hobby king or a multimeter.

you can use your charger to discharge them but it does take a while.

if they are fully charged i would go for a quick drive for a few mins to get the voltage down to about 3.9-4v per cell then discharge the rest on the charger as the charger will discharge slowly and keep the cells balanced.

as to discarding the dodgy one best way is to very carefully remove the hard case or film if its a soft case then place in a bucket of salty water for i believe a week then you can put it in the bin.

others will be able to confirm the above tho as i've never had to do that my self yet :)

you should be able to discharge them on your charger or it would be quicker to run them in your car until they cut off and charge them up to around 3.87v then unplug them

normally you are supposed to immerse the lipos in a saline solution for about a fortnight as this will naturally discharged them then you can either take them to your local recycling centre or bin them

for saline solution just use salty water

Edited by wangerman69

like a 5w 10w lightbulb, if you put it in salt water before the battery is discharged the tabs will disolve first and the battery will still have charge left in it.

So how do you make this, I have old 60w bulb... Do you just solder a deans @ wire straight onto the bulb? And pictures for me to see....

It's possible, but they don't normally explode. They can puff a bit.

The damage, chemical reaction, takes place at 2.7 volts. A cell that has gone this low can be revived, but it'll never be the same again.

Another question regarding lipos, I thought if there where left to go flat, or discharged to flat, there is chemical reaction and explode or catch fire? Can someone just clarify for me please..... Does this happen? Thanks.

not it a bucket of water :thumbsup:

like a 5w 10w lightbulb, if you put it in salt water before the battery is discharged the tabs will disolve first and the battery will still have charge left in it.

Stretch are they simple to make? You got a picture or instructions please.....

you better off using a lower wattage bulb than 60w ie a car bulb, may a lead from your battery to the bulb take it outside on hard ground and plug it until the bulb goes out OR you could use your chargers discharge function, I prefer the bulb method as its outside away from anything flammable incase anything goes wrong.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/DISPOSAL-OF-LIPO-BATTERIES.pdf

you better off using a lower wattage bulb than 60w ie a car bulb, may a lead from your battery to the bulb take it outside on hard ground and plug it until the bulb goes out OR you could use your chargers discharge function, I prefer the bulb method as its outside away from anything flammable incase anything goes wrong.

http://thunderpowerrc.com/PDF/DISPOSAL-OF-LIPO-BATTERIES.pdf

You got a picture of one so I know what to do? Just to give me an idea thanks....

In the past I've used a 12v fan from an old computer.

It will discharge a li-po safely & you can direct the airflow over the battery to keep it cool at the same time.  :thumbsup: