• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Making a Savage Flux to go nice and slow, and be a cloud...

grumpygramps

Bit of an odd one this!

I'm helping to build a radio controlled 'cloud', using my Savage Flux HP as the base vehicle, with various odd things on it (taxidermy'd rats dressed as angels and a mini 12v sound system..!), which we're going to use to amuse people at a few festivals over the summer.

The cloud is made from fibreglass, and along with the other bits weighs about 8kgs, but that load might increase by a couple of KG's, as we've not fully built the sub frame to attach it to the truck yet.

At the moment the truck is completely stock, apart from the suspension conversion kit, and I'm trying to work out what else I need to do to prepare for the massive increase in weight, and need to go quite slow (15mph max).

So, can anyone suggest what gearing I might want to use, on 4s? I'm thinking about dropping the pinion size to 12t and raising spur gear to 52t - would that do the trick...? I'm going to have a good play about with throttle curves etc, with the ESC.

Other things I guess I'll need to do is get one of the HD servo saver springs, and a higher torque servo, to get the front wheels to turn properly.

Anyone got any ideas about things that I might've overlooked, or suggestions to stop the thing breaking down with the added weight..?

Thank in advance, Lawrence :)

Edited by grumpygramps

What type of surface will you be on? Hopefully smooth, what suspension conversion kit are you talking about? How will you be attaching it to the truck, will it be resting on the truck?

Definitely a higher torque servo, uprated saver spring and replace steering bushings for bearings if you haven't already gramps.

Maybe stiffer springs to cope with the weight? Maybe even 2 sets of stock flux shocks, double them up like the nitros have :)

Any pics gramps ? You know we all love pics :D

Hmm just a thought but perhaps a savage flux is a wee but overkill for your intended purpose?

Use something slower- and allot cheaper?!!!

Cheers for the replies chaps! 

What type of surface will you be on? Hopefully smooth, what suspension conversion kit are you talking about? How will you be attaching it to the truck, will it be resting on the truck?

It'll be running on very short grass and dead flat surfaces like staging, maybe having to negotiate its way over the odd bit of cabling. The suspension conversion kit is the proper HPI one for the savvy http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=87245 which'll make things a bit less likely to break and slightly more stable, I hope! We'll be bolting the 'cloud' straight onto the TVP's, using a frame made from welded 20x20x3mm mild steel angle bar, which should be plenty strong enough.

Savage and slow, not two words that normally go together! Wind the throttle trim on your tx right back? 

Savage + loads of extra weight + lots of speed + drunken fools at festivals = very bad things!!

Changing the gearing and fiddling with the curves on the ESC should help things speed wise, and gear the motor so it's under less strain with the bigger load to carry about.

Definitely a higher torque servo, uprated saver spring and replace steering bushings for bearings if you haven't already gramps.
Maybe stiffer springs to cope with the weight? Maybe even 2 sets of stock flux shocks, double them up like the nitros have :)
Any pics gramps ? You know we all love pics :D

Yep, servo and spring are a coming, got an Ace 1015, hadn't thought about replacing the bushing though, will have a look through the parts box for a suitable bearing  :thumbsup:

Have been thinking about the shocks thing, and the fact that they'll be bottoming out, or incredibly stiff, so likely to bend shafts.. Can't fit 4 on the front with the suspension conversion kit on, unless I attempt a mod to get the second set mounted onto a different position on the lower arm...  :017:

Will put some pics up when the shell is ready - just now the mold is still being finished, should be within the week.

Hmm just a thought but perhaps a savage flux is a wee but overkill for your intended purpose?
Use something slower- and allot cheaper?!!!

Well, it needs to be reliable, strong and have enough power/size to easily manage the big load, plus I love savvy's and know how to pull them apart quickly, so it was the obvious choice!! I'm going to be using it for my own purposes as well, so there was no decision really. 

To limit the suspension droop, you could put fuel line on the shock shaft. It's basically the the same thing that you'd do to lower the the height, just the opposite location and result. Do you have the weight of the cloud?

I would get the smallest wheels and tires that fit to reduce stress on the drivetrain, steering and the ESC/motor even further. I would try some buggy wheels and tires

• 2 weeks later...

The gadget show did something similar the other week check it out if you can it was an emaxx made into a shopping cart that followed the owner pretty cool if you can find it. Vic reeves was in it to so google gadget show vic reeves rc shop cart of something lol might givee you ideas because they slowed it down and strengthend it for the shopping weigh I think.

Edit.. I think it might be brushed now I thought it was bl still could you go with a brushed set up I think the hp esc is a mmm isnt it so can use brushed motors on it mayb even so this is pretty cool if it helps or not lol I hope it helps tho.

http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/other/vic-reeves-shopping-trolley

Edited by RCbutcher