• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The XRay T4 2013 thread (Renamed)

ta05

I usually run neutral front toe, 2 or 3 degrees rear toe. 1 degree front toe in max.

For me, this helps the car rotate well on a smaller, technical track.

Because I use foams, I don't need lots of initial turn in, which I believe is usually gained by front toe in.

Initial turn in is with front toe out, more steering mid to exit it with toe in.

For carpet and rubbers we run a small very tight track and run a diff with 1mill lion or 500k oil front and 1k rear

Initial turn in is with front toe out, more steering mid to exit it with toe in.

For carpet and rubbers we run a small very tight track and run a diff with 1mill lion or 500k oil front and 1k rear

I did a bit of testing on Saturday running neutral toe, to be honest, I didn't really notice that much much difference to when I was running 1* toe in.

My next outdoor race is on the 22nd September so I'll see how I get on. I then have an indoor race is on the 29th September so I can always make some changes for then.

I got that totally wrong then lol, but that's how its felt when I made that change to the car? :D

I get too used to an ill handling car, so that's why its probably not best to ask me about car setup and how it helps...

If someone with a similar driving style got hold of my car and tinkered with it, I swear i'd be a lap or two quicker than I am now, I am having to set the car up myself which really isn't my strong point.  Others at the club do help me as and when but as I've only raced the car three, or 4 times max, i'm still getting used to it.

I will race next a week on Friday.

Between now and then, i'll get a new lipo, different gear oils and some diff oil seals to get.  And maybe a spare spur gear... (Don't ask why! lol)

Once I start using dual diff again, I think I will feel a lot more confident in the car knowing is set up how I want it to.

You dont need to run the o rings in the diff.....i havnt....ever! And i used 700cst for 8 months racing every week and no problems! Trying 3000cst in the rear for the first time ever tonight

Interesting.

Let me know how well the rear of the car rotates with 3k rear please as I need a good setting to keep the back of the car a little more planted.

I will pack the front diff with some more grease to keep the setup feeling consistent too, as I think it might be heating up mid race and making turn in different.

I have just read your post here: http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13650

I am a little confused with the diff rebuild.

There is a large "o ring" which I would call more of a seal, a paper looking gasket and two o rings that seal the outdrives.

What parts should I replace when rebuilding the diff?

I have used my car about 3 times and one of the diffs leaked.

The larger O ring has become bigger, so i'm replacing that but should I also replace the other two types of seal/gasket? There are 4 in total, per diff.

Just want to be sure of what i'm replacing before I order them from rc-disco :)

They said dont use the large o ring. They didnt mention anything about the 2 small o rings but they said change the gasket every 3 races. I certainly dont do that, that is alex hagberg who runs mod and is in the international a mains. When i take my diff apart i dont replace anything unless the gasket is worn

They said dont use the large o ring. They didnt mention anything about the 2 small o rings but they said change the gasket every 3 races. I certainly dont do that, that is alex hagberg who runs mod and is in the international a mains. When i take my diff apart i dont replace anything unless the gasket is worn

That's what confuses me a bit.

The larger O ring has got bigger so I will definitely need to replace it, but the smaller O-rings "appear" to be ok.  As for the paper gasket, I wouldn't know when it needs changing :confused:

Nah, you dont need the rubber o ring

So do you not use the two smaller o rings in your diff/s?

I am a bit reluctant to rebuild the diff without them, as I would have thought that might make the diff leak?

Oh ok, my diff had leaked on me and I saw that the larger O ring had expanded, but the smaller ones appeared to be ok.

As I am rebuilding with 3k oil which is quite thin, I don't fancy rebuilding the diffs again as they leaked very soon after I first built the diff with 1k :(

Anyone seen the t4 2014? Out in 2 weeks!

I've heard the changes are minor, Rc-tech has some spy shots I believe.

I can't justify getting the new car, or an upgrade kit for my T4 (if it's possible), as I've just blown

http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13648

After reading the above, I'm starting to have doubts that the 500,000 will be sufficient in the front diff now :xd:

All I can do is build it up and try it.

I got 500,000 as that was the thickest rc-disco had in stock at the time.

Well, I used 500,000 hudy oil last night with foams, finally got the spare diff rebuild for the front end for the the last round of quali, (q3) and made it into the A for the first time out after 4 meetings of using the new car.

I had a big off too (flew through the double doors as I hit the apex at the end of our main straight, it was almost a replica of Mark Webber in F1 going off in Valencia in his red bull a few years ago LOL) and that cost me a lap (6-7 secs).

Qualified 5th in the A, got up to 3rd but finished where I qualified.  Great race, using the hudy 500,000cst was amazing transformation to the car, going from massive oversteer to a car that felt really seated on the back end and so so so drivable out of the corners and not feeling the slightest bit twitchy.

Easily the best and biggest handling change I made to the car since I have had it :yahoo:  B)  :mf_dribble:  :wub:  :insane:  :007:  :040:

Nuff said. For me, it worked REALLY well, for others running rubber, maybe it would not work out for you....

It's the first time I can actually say I had confidence in giving the car 110% input and getting a relatively good result from it.  Off and on power steering felt just perfect.  So predictable and I could feel where the car was going.

• 2 weeks later...

No plans to change much for this Fridays race meeting (maybe rebuild the rear diff to 3,000cst Hudy oil if time allows) but so far the new car is feeling good.

Just some smaller changes planned now, such as adjusting the shell as it rubbed last time out and get the front camber levels checked.

Oh, and redo the shocks maybe go 50wt front and 45rear, i'll see how it goes as these are fiddly jobs that I hate doing when the clock is against me inbetween heats!

I must say though,(again! lol) that the car has been transformed massively with the front diff oil change!