• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

south wales indoor drift meet. friday 17th may

Andyrc

hi guys as promised i have been working hard to try and obtain the south wales boy an indoor venue to hold our drift meets with the aim to run a nice drift club with nice tracks and to grow and promote our hobby

well had a phone call today asking if we could hold a trail meet this friday to see how things work out for us there. the location is a local scouts hall and the idea is for us to use the venue as a perminament venue for us.

so i know its short notice but the more we can all pull together the better it will look and the higher the chances of us getting this venue.

as for the surface i belive it to be a hard polished floor but thats not to say we cant obtain a carpet setup and im in the proccess of looking into this as an option.

carpet option is bassicly capet tiles mounted to large sheets of thin mdf that we can lay down, build the track on, run the session then just pic the track back up and store it at the venue untill next time. this is only really going to be needed if marks are showing on the hard floor.

please can i have names and numbers for all those who whish to attend and suport us in trying to get a venue for the rc drift sence in south wales.

post code for the venue is Cowbridge CF71 7AP

the trail meet is to be held from 7pm so aim to arrive just before. as far as i know the trail run is free to all drifters.

Great news, doubt I can make it. By the time I get there, it would be over :P

One complaint I have had in the past is the marks left by the tyres depending on the compound so just make sure you clean and check the floor for trails of plastic :P I had this all over my hardwood flood, looked like a snail had gone crazy!

Good luck and hopefully see another one secured. Then would have another destination of my drift trip.

Best of luck with securing the venue.

Hope it all goes well.

Maybe buy some fluffy wheel covers to clean the floor when you've finished? :D

Gutted to hear you can't make it. I'm going to take the yokomo chassis for a display along with the shells later so they can see how everything works and goes together.

Yeah... I needed this but what can I do...

I so wanted to drift the Godzilla with you guys :(

differnent is one word adam mate lol.

well i thought we were going to try it out just drifting but instead i ended up giving an hour long presentation and talk on rc drift cars to the scouts ( as its there hall we want to use) and in fairness a good number of them seemed to enjoy it and showed interest.

following the talk me and adam had a small drift in the hall then let the scouts hae a go ( didnt realise this was going to be the case and really wish i didnt have my good shell on, well not so good anymore :( .

Any way a few of scouts took it seriously and really tried and stated to get the hang ot if bearing in mind im running 1.82cs and adam running 1.5cs so not good really for a first time. plus neither car was setup for the hard polished very slippery surface and mine has just been set for a grippy carpet so completly set wrong.

Any way a good time was had by all and even the scouts leads got involved and had a good go.

As for the hall well for us its perfect. a good little size for some technical tracks and i can use really grwoing there and enjoying it. as for sixe its around a tennis court size which tbh coupled with the very slippery surface is just fine.

the scout leaders are more than hapy for us to run a club there with weekly meets so ill confrim a date next week and we shall get South Wales Drift Dragons ( just a name idea lol more on a post card please) up and running

not to sure on costs ect yet these are to be confirmed

Sounds good, as you mentioned, not the event you expected but its a result. I for one will be looking forward to the dates and seeing the club grow. :D

following the talk me and adam had a small drift in the hall then let the scouts hae a go ( didnt realise this was going to be the case and really wish i didnt have my good shell on, well not so good anymore :( .

Ouch! That sounds painful, did they trashed your rocket bunny? :(

Ouch! That sounds painful, did they trashed your rocket bunny? :(

Yeh they trahsed the front end. Tho tbh theres not a mark on Adams shell so I think it more a lack of prep work bwfore the shell was sprayed. Lucky ita only the front bumper area so ill re paint any youll never no lol

• 3 months later...

I'm from the Swansea area and have just bought a maverick stada to learn with, we'll up for some drift meets and helping starting a club. I race outdoor 1/8 buggy and micro also so drift would be a good addition. May be able to get a few from club to come depending on location

If a few of you guys are willing to travel to port talbot, that's where we run indoors on carpet, if there is enough interest I'm sure we could use that carpet and the hall for a few hours on a specific day of the week, I can have a word with the club would only be viable if we covered the halls costs tho so names down