• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Best connectors?

Smithy111

I use deans, recently converted over from tamiya, massive difference, bit fiddly to solder and easy to warp making fitment a bit of a pain but other than no more of a hassle than tamiya is.

XT60 seem to be a very popular choice now or bullets. 

It will be for a brushless D8 with Tekin combo

You're running deans ?!?!?!?! Change to EC5's !! Asap before you melt the deans off and possibly blow your ESC/lipo. Been there and done that !

My thoughts on correct connector use are as follows:

upto 100A               - Deans/XT90/Traxxas 4mm bullets (not the corally "banana" ones)

over 100A to 150A - Bullets ideally 5mm or bigger (ie EC5 5.5mm bullets etc)

over 150A              - 6+mm bullets (i can draw 250A through 6mm bullets with no issues) 8mm just for piece of mind

I have always run Traxxas connectors in my RC cars on up to 6S 120amp only problem I find with them is they can disconnect on hard landings!

I have also always used 8mm bullets in my helicopters and planes as they run 6S to 12S but I'm thinking I'm going to go back to bullets on the cars now as there easy to solder and hold together better!

XT60 connectors was popular god only knows why? When you get some lipos with 10awg or 8awg cable and solder to XT60 there a night mare!

I use deans, recently converted over from tamiya, massive difference, bit fiddly to solder and easy to warp making fitment a bit of a pain but other than no more of a hassle than tamiya is.

XT60 seem to be a very popular choice now or bullets. 

Been told that you should solder deans connectors with the male and female plugged together which prevents them warping out of shape.

Personally I use 4mm bullet connectors in my scte and it feels so much better. Scared the **** out of me the first time I connected up a battery to use it as didnt realise that I would get a small spark of electricity. Good old AJ re-assured me all was fine though. Lol.