• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobbyking Bixler 2 -Maiden Flight Page 3

Its Here!!! I present the HK Bixler 2

I bought the Bixler 2 airplane from hobbykings uk warehouse and it was delivered nice and early (for a change) by parcelforce this morning. You can buy this plane for

Edited by aidensere07

Good for you...

The Bixler has some very good reviews...

Theres a few guys out there that have up-graded there motor and ESC , trimed the wings and fly there Bixlers like Hotliners..

Sean

been reading the thread on rcgroups, I'm about 88 pages through it lol, i don't want it to be a hotliner, just a gentle flyer that i can turn into a fpv platform in the future, ill buy a funjet or similar for speed.

• Like 1

been reading the thread on rcgroups, I'm about 88 pages through it lol, i don't want it to be a hotliner, just a gentle flyer that i can turn into a fpv platform in the future, ill buy a funjet or similar for speed.

If you want cheap speed get a RadJet from Hobbyking.

I have gliders that I use a 808SpyCam on for the nice gentle flights.

Sean

that's a very nice place you live, and nice that your family are close as well, id love to be able to fly with that kind of scenery, the keycam looks good as well and with them been so cheap i may pick one up and place in the canopy. Ill definatly get a radjet at some point, they look pretty insane!

If you want cheap speed get a RadJet from Hobbyking.

I have gliders that I use a 808SpyCam on for the nice gentle flights.

Sean

Well id say im half way through the build, i have the motor installed on the mount and the mount glued into place. rudder and elevator servos installed in position and glues into place and the whole fuselage glued together, was just enough supplied glue to do glue the 2 sides together.

When i get some more glue i need to install the servos into the wing for the ailerons and glue down the spar and servo wire cover. havent decided if i want to install the flaps yet so i might mount the servos but not link them up for now.as itll save digging later.

Also need to install the rudder/elevator but that needs glue, can anyone link me to some foam safe glue that i can buy locally and not online?

Also need to install the rudder/elevator but that needs glue, can anyone link me to some foam safe glue that i can buy locally and not online?

your local hobby shop will have CA Glue..

Dont have a local hobby shop mate, just a halfords, maplins, and other shops

yup, motor rotation is clockwise when viewed from the back and the prop has the writing towards the front as it is a pusher model, just installed the servos into the wings, left the flaps out for now.

Got the esc installed but decided against it being inside the fuselage, decided to place it on top of the plane in the airflow. ok it would probably look sleeker inside but id rather have function over form anyway ill pop a picture up soon of how far i am.

Also bought some velcro as im going to do the velcro mod to the wings instead of the hated screws to fasten them on.

Did you check motor rotation and that it works bwfore glueing it together

Edited by aidensere07

Yea. if you look at the picture below, normally theres two screws inserted from underneath, they are known to be a complete pain to use so theres a strip of velcro attached to the fuselage.(look like tiny wings in the picture), the velcro bit faces down and connects to the opposite velcro which is attached to the wings, this stops the wings seperating and falling out. if that makes sense

WP_20130418_012_zpse0af5116.jpg

Edited by aidensere07

Right i'm done for the night now, let the glue dry. the wings now have servos installed for ailerons, the vertical stab is fitted to the horizontal stab and just needs glueing to the rear of the plane,

the carbon rod that runs down the underneath of the boom has been fitted and glued, the scratch pads on the underside have been fitted also.

I think im pretty much done, all thats left to do now is glue the stabilizer assembly onto the plane and place the velcro for the receiver and battery, then add the prop and test the power system

Then the Maiden

I have really enjoyed putting the bixler 2 together, its not a hard build even for a beginner, if you can follow instructions its easy if you take your time. I'm hoping now that iv done a good enough job for her to fly. straight and true. will post a final picture of her tomorrow when all the glue is fully dry.

The glue is all dry and the electrics have been tested and all is good. I'm not sure on whether to tape all the seams and leading edges etc with some fiberglass reinforced tape just to be on the safe side? opinions please?

Anyway the finished product

WP_20130419_003_zps0f1b0afb.jpg

WP_20130419_005_zps5b3107ca.jpg

WP_20130419_006_zps4ac85feb.jpg

WP_20130419_007_zps43ddc8b7.jpg

WP_20130419_009_zps862534d6.jpg

WP_20130419_010_zps99c41eba.jpg

As you may see in the pictures the velcro has come a little unstuck. i stuck it to the waterslide graphics and its pulled them up, the rest is stuck down firmly where it attaches to the foam, ill cut the lifted bit off i think. Its a lot bigger than i thought so looking for a way/place to store it where it wont get damaged

Think I'm also going to trim down the motor shaft, its far too long and my collet isn't running true either which is a bit of a bummer.

Edited by aidensere07

thanks sean mate :thumbsup: Hows the weather in Ireland today?

Lovely sunny day here for once..

I've got my car loaded (Assassin Wing / RadJet / Hawk 3D) and hoping to go flying later.

I've got the RCSpeedo app

on one of my phone,so I'm going to find out how fast the RadJet flys.

I know my Assassin is around 85mph.

Sean

Edited by seanmcgrath48
  • Like 1

Lovely sunny day here for once..

I've got my car loaded (Assassin Wing / RadJet / Hawk 3D) and hoping to go flying later.

I've got the RCSpeedo app

on one of my phone,so I'm going to find out how fast the RadJet flys.

I know my Assassin is around 85mph.

Sean

strapping your phone to a plane, that's very brave, nice day here in sheffield too, might go flying myself later tonight when kids are in bed. best thing about these light nights, perfect for flying, take care and post any vids you get

off out for fibre tape and carbon rods now :thumbsup:

strapping your phone to a plane, that's very brave, nice day here in sheffield too, might go flying myself later tonight when kids are in bed. best thing about these light nights, perfect for flying, take care and post any vids you get

You don't strap the phone to the plane. . lol... just put in down on the ground or on a trap around your neck to get the readings.. Great app and only cost $2.99

Your next buy should be a flying wing..

Me and a friend flying Night Combat with 2 Raven Flyingwings .

Sean

The glue is all dry and the electrics have been tested and all is good. I'm not sure on whether to tape all the seams and leading edges etc with some fiberglass reinforced tape just to be on the safe side? opinions please?

Anyway the finished product

WP_20130419_006_zps4ac85feb.jpg

As you may see in the pictures the velcro has come a little unstuck. i stuck it to the waterslide graphics and its pulled them up, the rest is stuck down firmly where it attaches to the foam, ill cut the lifted bit off i think. Its a lot bigger than i thought so looking for a way/place to store it where it wont get damaged

Think I'm also going to trim down the motor shaft, its far too long and my collet isn't running true either which is a bit of a bummer.

I'd put some 3M bendrem tape (Boots sell it) over the hinges  (whole lenght of the elerons/elevator/rudder),,,,, better safe then sorry ....

Sean

Edited by seanmcgrath48

Where are you getting the carbon rods from? Read a fair few posts where folks have added them.

I'd put some 3M bendrem tape (Boots sell it) over the hinges  (whole lenght of the elerons/elevator/rudder),,,,, better save then sorry ....

Sean

ok mate thanks for the tip, i can get some of that, boots is pretty close to us. Didn't manage to find any of the tape i wanted while i was out :(

Where are you getting the carbon rods from? Read a fair few posts where folks have added them.

i just drove to a model shop 45mins away to get some but found out when i got there they were closed for stocktaking, i mean who does that. Think i might get some arrow shafts from decathlon instead