• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Bullhead (Original 90's models)

Oldtimer

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased two Bullheads, one for me to upgrade, the other for my partners son to do. I've been out of RC for a fair few years so lots of changes and I'd appreciate some advice if you wouldn't mind.

I plan to dump the old Tamiya speed controller in favour of an ESC and prob change out the std 540's. I'm looking to get the best duration from playing with them so if you have the model or it's Clodbuster brother I'd appreciate feedback on what battery pack to upgrade to, alongside which ESC to marry to what motors? (I've never owned a twin motor model before)

If anyone knows of sites that sell any upgrades as a pack then I'm happy to buy as one set rather than seperate components?

Thanks for the advice and feedback.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi everyone,

I've recently purchased two Bullheads, one for me to upgrade, the other for my partners son to do. I've been out of RC for a fair few years so lots of changes and I'd appreciate some advice if you wouldn't mind.

I plan to dump the old Tamiya speed controller in favour of an ESC and prob change out the std 540's. I'm looking to get the best duration from playing with them so if you have the model or it's Clodbuster brother I'd appreciate feedback on what battery pack to upgrade to, alongside which ESC to marry to what motors? (I've never owned a twin motor model before)

If anyone knows of sites that sell any upgrades as a pack then I'm happy to buy as one set rather than seperate components?

Thanks for the advice and feedback.

Cheers,

Mark

I've had 2 TXT-1s, so...

Tamiyaparts is the place to go for all things stock and upgrade in terms of official Tamiya... parts:

http://www.goldstarstockists.net/live/catalog/tamiya-45037-esc-teu-103bk-for-twin-motor-rrp-6999-p-19941.html

That^ esc wil be what you want, twin motor set up. The only snag being it's designed for stock silver cans basically, no 'hot' motors. If you want a more powerful motor/esc setup, then you're either looking at a a pair of escs connected to the single throttle channel on the receiver ( via a Y-harness ), that gives you far more options for powerful escs and hotter motors, but at higher cost. The other option is to grab a Traxxas EVX2 esc and pair of 550 21turn Titan motors- quite a lot of guys go that route, though it may or maynot cause clearance issues due to the longer motors ( suspension upgrade to 4-link crawler style needed, so you may not like that idea if you plan to keep these trucks fairly stock ).

For battery options ( even a pair of 540s wont pull much juice ), I'd stick with nimh packs for the time being ( Lipo might require more research )- look into Vapextech on ebay and grab the largest Mah capacity 6 cell ( 7.2v ) packs you can afford:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-2V-5000mAh-NiMH-rechargeable-battery-pack-Vapextech-/220981425774?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item337384f66e

Most guys have good luck with them and the price vs performance ratio is better than any 'branded' pack you'll find. Only thing I will strongly recommend however is to cut off the crappy tamiya molex connectors on the esc and batts, and solder on some Deans connectors ( or EC5 connectors, or Traxxas connectors- choose a style of connector and use them on everything you own from then onwards to make life easier, don't faff about with adaptors ).

If you need any other electrical info, check out my Tutorials guide & Useful links pages in my sig, lots of Tamiya related stuff in there as well as General r/c electrical info :)

• Like 1