• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

bought some vintage folding bikes try not to laugh (new pics)

vdubdave

we go away a lot in the caravan, the kids always take their bikes and sometimes i take our mountain bikes, but our bikes can be a pain

to lug about, and i dont like leaving my bike in the awning or caravan while we go out.

So i thought i might buy a couple of new folding bikes, when i spotted these on ebay under 5 miles away and thought what the hell, i love getting old stuff working again.

The guy had them on for auction starting at

Edited by vdubdave

No pish taking, classy retro style and kudos to you for buying them, dig the whitewalls! Loved these when I was younger, me and mates all had them but we took them to local garage and he welded the hinge up for us at the 45 degree position, made riding a lot more fun, turn one way and it turns like a barge and the other way it flicks round, aahh, great days of mis-spent youth!

Lmao i threw a bike like that green one out when we moved into this house 5 years ago it was in the shed that was locked and not been opened for 10 years  :sweeeet:  all there was in there was one of them bikes ( green ) and a load of engine parts for a ford cortina  :thumbsup:

We ( my brothers, me and mates ) all had these when we where growing up.

We used to fit mag wheels on them. Then called them granny bashers, god knows why we called them that   :shockingscary:

Always remember 1 of the lads coming down the big hill ( a small hill by where we lived but as kids it was massive ) and tried to jump the big over a mound of soil and the bike folded up on him nad broke his lad with a rather nasty bend in it.

Love these bike

What model is the giant bike?

my mountain bike is a Giant Terrago 2009 model i think i know ive had it a while. Just put new forks on it, big disc conversion on front and some other bits n bobs.

Hey Hebby one mans garbage is another mans treasure, i think i may have lobbed them out a few years ago    :xd:

ive never had a folding bike but i remember bombing round on something exactly the same just not folding, i crashed mine down a "massive" hill as well and bent the frame 

Been working on the green one today, got 3" of snow so nothing else to do, its getting near road worthy.

Edited by vdubdave

there's always one, you got any pics

ive no idea how old these two are im guessing 70's

If they have Sturmey Archer 3 Speed gears,clean the outside of the rear hub & the month & the year should be stamped on there :thumbsup: .

If they have Sturmey Archer 3 Speed gears,clean the outside of the rear hub & the month & the year should be stamped on there  :thumbsup:

i will check that out thanks, one is Sturmey Archer 3 speed and the other is Shimano 3 speed hub 

Been having a mess with the green one today, everything seems to work ok now.

Its been de-guarded and cleaned, could do with some bigger handlebars tho 

Lol my sister had one of those when we were kids, my BMX had a flat tire one morning so I nicked her shopper, half way round I bunny hopped it up a kerb and it snapped in half :) my dad kicked my arse.

There is no me in team..

i will check that out thanks, one is Sturmey Archer 3 speed and the other is Shimano 3 speed hub 

Been having a mess with the green one today, everything seems to work ok now.

Its been de-guarded and cleaned, could do with some bigger handlebars tho

I used to sell cruisers and low-riders to DH lads I used to ride with many years ago. Got most of my bits from a place called Saturn Industries,they did parts for hot-rods and custom cars, (real ones, not chav chariots you see in Halfords car parks on a Friday night!) don't know if they are still going, could make a great custom bike using the shopper.

been putting it back together it seems ok but cant have a ride cos we've got a foot of snow ,i think it needs tyres as they are very perished,  but that would mean spending more money  :xd:

_DSC1010.jpg

_DSC1021.jpg

_DSC1017.jpg

72d80cd2-10b0-4202-aa02-071686c738ec.jpg

then i found this in my dads old stuff in my garage, it'll go in the saddle pack

_DSC1032.jpg

_DSC1036.jpg

im starting to really like this old thing i must be mad, im in two minds whether or not to spend some money on it, respray, alloys etc...diy obviously 

please tell me im mad  :030:

Edited by vdubdave

My Dad had and used one almost identical up until about 12 months ago ( minus the blue valve cap hopups ofc :) )

Every day for as long as I can remember

Edited by hutch

My Dad had and used one almost identical up until about 12 months ago ( minus the blue valve cap hopups ofc  :) )

Every day for as long as I can remember

cool should be reliable then  :thumbsup:

If they have Sturmey Archer 3 Speed gears,clean the outside of the rear hub & the month & the year should be stamped on there  :thumbsup: .

checked the date its stamped  3 73  so im assuming that's march 1973, not doing to bad for 40

no dates on the shimano hub tho 

cool should be reliable then  :thumbsup:

checked the date its stamped  3 73  so im assuming that's march 1973, not doing to bad for 40

no dates on the shimano hub tho 

The old stuff was built really well,you can still get plenty of spares for them as well .Built when Britain ruled the world & people still had some pride in their work :).

Sorta related,well worth a watch,even if its just for the great acting :xd: