• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

The noise of the WR8 metal spur is really annoying.

Using the Bullet slipper clutch parts,  I first modified mine to a Savage plastic spur, which improved the noise a bit. Now I'm running a regular 48 pitch spur gear  and I'm very happy.

The 48dp spur does not tolerate flying debris or so, but I'm using a Dusty Motors cover anyways.

Cheers

Dirk

On 19/02/2020 at 13:41, yoodoo said:

I've just bought a WR8 electric but why are they so noisey???

J

On 19/02/2020 at 15:47, Fantuzzi said:

The noise of the WR8 metal spur is really annoying.

Using the Bullet slipper clutch parts,  I first modified mine to a Savage plastic spur, which improved the noise a bit. Now I'm running a regular 48 pitch spur gear  and I'm very happy.

The 48dp spur does not tolerate flying debris or so, but I'm using a Dusty Motors cover anyways.

Cheers

Dirk

I kind of like the noise the WR8 makes, Sounds like it's growling in anger! 👌

• 2 months later...

While I've been off work for a while I've dragged out my 2 WR8's given them some TLC and new parts plus been able to run the flux car up and down a few times but the nitro is a bit too noisy while all the neighbours are also at home.310798336_image1(1).thumb.jpeg.b752dba6cd433c14ec01823915d6e769.jpeg

The flux has been treated to a double fan plus a BEC, then the nitro got some new Traxxas shocks though I still need to compare it's set-up compared to the Jato shocks on the Flux. Small driving  mishap with the flux means it's only got 3 shocks at the moment 🙄

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys and girls. I have a problem with the steering on my WR8. Well it just doesn't move. I got it pretty wet and let it dry off a little and it worked fine and all of a sudden it just stopped working. Forward and backwards work perfect. Just doesn't turn at all. If this isn't the right place to post this I'm sorry. I'm a complete newbie to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

19 hours ago, gary_114 said:

Hey guys and girls. I have a problem with the steering on my WR8. Well it just doesn't move. I got it pretty wet and let it dry off a little and it worked fine and all of a sudden it just stopped working. Forward and backwards work perfect. Just doesn't turn at all. If this isn't the right place to post this I'm sorry. I'm a complete newbie to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Best thing would be to make a separate post in this rally section.... 

But bottom line:

1. does the throttle work? 
2. If you take the servo horn off does the servo turn? Yes- then horn stripped or links / wheels stuck, no - then check wiring, then try swapping servo to another position in Receiver - ie throttle..... 

Work through it logically 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks J. A.Son.  I never liked drive train lash and after few rebuilds due to premature wear on front center shaft and front diff input while rest was absolutely fine I thought maybe cvd boots and graphite grease would help so after some research I found those https://www.fastrax-rc.com/index.php?_route_=fastrax-8th-scale-silicone-cvd-joint-cover, it make wr8 less noisy for sure.

Few years ago I found that shop https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kalle-racing?section=hpi+WR8&sort=

with some nice 3d designs for wr8 but it was expensive after they add all extra costs so I've contacted designer and he agreed with me that it is expensive while designer getting penuts so he put them here https://i.materialise.com/en/shop/designer/mr-uueekend it's cheaper here but you need to spend minimum 30£ so bought two (cheaper than one on shapeways but well I got two cars😁) white print was cheapest so I've decided to painted myself,  really good design and quality print,  snug fit easy to install, only cutting required is small cut to battery tray that's close to spur gear. Hopefully this mod will extend service intervals.  One thing to mention when using cvd boot standard  size servo may not fit.

Edited by DougE

• 1 month later...

Got a wr8 coming. Love my XV01 so i thought why not get a bigger rally car lol

Are there any worthy upgrades worth doing?

Also how are people finding the motor. I have a 2000kv lying around taken out of VT RTR, but if i run that i guess i will need to change gearing.

It does look to go ok out the box

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Logie said:

Do the Integy spurs fit the flux? I see nitro and flux share same spur on HPI site.

But Integy spurs are listed as 3.0

I've got a 40T Integy spur fitted to mine.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello guys!

It's been awhile since I've been on here, so I thought I'd bring back the wr8 and treat it to some new shocks and some 3d printed parts

5e415f274cfa26ec31680cbdebd89ebe.jpg947672f4893acde833a27045fea231ca.jpg

• Like 2

3d printed myself a new battery tray to accompany a larger 4s lipo [emoji106]
Waiting on a new motor and esc so I can mount the esc behind the battery tray dd4154629d1b76d381dda656bdac95a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

3d printed myself a new battery tray to accompany a larger 4s lipo emoji106.png
Waiting on a new motor and esc so I can mount the esc behind the battery tray dd4154629d1b76d381dda656bdac95a0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Nice, parts are looking good.👍

What shocks are these Brandon and where did you obtain them?

Have you used the rig with the shocks yet, and if so how do they perform, what do think of them, Any good?

I haven't used them yet but they seem decent.

They seem great for the price. I may need to replace the springs with stiffer ones as the shocks fail to return to normal after compression. But other than that they are good!

On 12/10/2020 at 20:18, Brandon said:

I haven't used them yet but they seem decent.

They seem great for the price. I may need to replace the springs with stiffer ones as the shocks fail to return to normal after compression. But other than that they are good!

Report back and let us know how you got on after you've run with them, always interested in how different shocks effect the performance of the WR8.👍