• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

On 9 December 2015 at 08:08:03, granty said:

Just picked up a 2013 Brand New Roller. The wheels are original but slick tyres for some reason. But still happy to have finally got the original shell once again just to stare at :)

Was that the one on eBay? 

Was tempted myself ?

Hi people!

My WR8 is not going straight, consistently steers to the right then to the left, how can I fix it? established a powerful digital servo, it does not help

and a bit of bashing Russian :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMTQillnuAo

Edited by Badrobot (RUS)

• 2 weeks later...

My Esc finally arrived! So now I am able to run 6s through it :D 

only thing I need to do now is to change the shocks to the prolines.

happy bunny! 

On 02/01/2016 at 5:27 AM, Brandon said:

My Esc finally arrived! So now I am able to run 6s through it :D 

only thing I need to do now is to change the shocks to the prolines.

happy bunny! 

Sounds good! This for road racing only? It will be......mental!

2 minutes ago, granty said:

You will break so many parts! Mark my words!

I have that in mind :D I only plan to run it with 4s but I can always bump up the power if I like 

Hi all!

Been following this thread for awhile and thought I would show you a vid of one of my WR8's in action!

https://youtu.be/3Olu1QffCko

I have 3 nitro's all up. One is a track monster, one is in pieces being rebuilt for an off road rally car.

And the third is well... Still all nicely sealed up in its box.
Only got into the hobby a few months ago but love it and regularly visit my local track.

Let me know your thoughts on the video!

Edited by valandis91
corrections
  • Like 1

Thats a very cool video.

On a side note after putting a new motor in the wr8 after about ten minutes it snapped another shaft so that was a very expensive ten minutes.

What can I be doing wrong? I think I'm meshing it right but I've had nothing but problems since the rebuild. At first it was just opinion coming off but two snapped shafts is beyond a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granty, is there any resistance in anything that could be causing any strain to the drive shafts? 

it could just possibly be bad luck on your end 

ive not snapped a drive shaft as of yet, I have tho had the pinion go flying, but I fixed that by pretty much coating the grub screw in locktight. Seems to have sorted it so far.

• Like 1

Broken shafts are unusual. Especially on a new motor. Usually the pinion will give first.  There must be a mesh issue somewhere. Check how the shaft and pinion line up with the spur. Look at the old pinion/ spur and check for uneven wear (like the pinion is worn on one edge only).  Since you did a rebuild, double check that everything is properly tightened up (motor mount, centre diff mount, etc). 

Also, check that your esc is braking first before allowing you to go in reverse. Unlikely to be the culprit, but going from fwd straight to rev will cause serious shock/ strain to the drivetrain, shaft and motor.

What were you doing when it snapped? With three diffs it's unlikely that it's a shock to the drivetrain from jumping or rough terrain is causing the issue. Besides the WR8 drivetrain was made to handle much bigger wheels (Bullet) and is pretty tough. 

Are you running more than 3s? I could see 4s or 6s maybe snapping one just from being so overpowered.

Of course you may just have just been unlucky, but two broken shafts would make me suspicious for sure.
Edited by Hotshot888

On 09/01/2016 at 7:16 PM, Hotshot888 said:

Broken shafts are unusual. Especially on a new motor. Usually the pinion will give first.  There must be a mesh issue somewhere. Check how the shaft and pinion line up with the spur. Look at the old pinion/ spur and check for uneven wear (like the pinion is worn on one edge only).  Since you did a rebuild, double check that everything is properly tightened up (motor mount, centre diff mount, etc). 

Also, check that your esc is braking first before allowing you to go in reverse. Unlikely to be the culprit, but going from fwd straight to rev will cause serious shock/ strain to the drivetrain, shaft and motor.

What were you doing when it snapped? With three diffs it's unlikely that it's a shock to the drivetrain from jumping or rough terrain is causing the issue. Besides the WR8 drivetrain was made to handle much bigger wheels (Bullet) and is pretty tough. 

Are you running more than 3s? I could see 4s or 6s maybe snapping one just from being so overpowered.

Of course you may just have just been unlucky, but two broken shafts would make me suspicious for sure.

On 09/01/2016 at 2:33 PM, Brandon said:

Granty, is there any resistance in anything that could be causing any strain to the drive shafts? 

it could just possibly be bad luck on your end 

ive not snapped a drive shaft as of yet, I have tho had the pinion go flying, but I fixed that by pretty much coating the grub screw in locktight. Seems to have sorted it so far.

Thanks for your responses. It must be a mesh issue, it did sound louder than normal BUT I was sure I had meshed it right. Obviously not. I was only driving around on loose gravel, not doing any jumps etc.

Hopefully new motor on will solve it, I'll just take extra care. 

i asked modelsport and apparently you cant just order the spoiler,

however i brought this car 2nd or third hand and this is how it came,but the block shell that came with it also didnt have a spoiler so i think this spoiler is off the original shell9ede165925ad4e4447d480484d700d77.jpg8cf80363d1d38b60c83e6987a9f19d3a.jpg its basically all stock exept the rear hubs ive upgraded to hpi ally ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're not rubbish, it's just that the rear shocks tend to sag too much and they don't have much adjustment, only the preload clips.

if you say so :D those set of 4 shocks cost around £80! Expensive i know haha

If you want some cheap but good quality aluminium parts, look on eBay for jazrider or GPM.

i needed to do upgrades to the weakest points, like the hub carries etc. (mine sort of runs 6s) but don't tell anyone :good:

• Like 1