• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

On 20/11/2015, 13:40:28, Hotshot888 said:

Not sure if anyone noticed/ posted yet, but HPI is now offering their own CVDs. So even if your not a GPM or Integy fan your good to go...

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/107544

I spotted those but with 2 cars to feed and pamper the price gets a bit steep for me.

Will maybe look at the Integy ones in the future but concentrating on trying to give my fleet some running at the moment, with limited daylight and lots of cycling miles at the weekends this is proving a bit of a challenge :rolleyes:

Yeah my pinion kept flying off, luckily I had the overtray on and it caught it.

i just put a load more thread lock on and it seems to be fine at the minute.

i think the motor is re-buildable but I am not too sure.

20 hours ago, granty said:

So haven't been out for ages. Every time I went out the pinion came off. First chance with some time to spare and five seconds in the motor shaft sheeted. Can these be replaced or is it new motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not seen a rebuild kit specifically for the flux 4000kv and now that castle have discontinued their rebuild kits you can no longer slap a 5mm 1210 rebuild shaft in there :(

Best bet is a complete new motor from a US breaker, around £45-£50 delivered. I have one on the shelf, just in case, cost £38 from dollar hobbies- albeit nearly 2 years ago. Fortunately I've not needed it- yet!

19 minutes ago, TopGun26 said:

What with hpi doing cvd's it's great to see (finally!) more after market support for the wr8 :) Not sure about bolt-on front kick up though :/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, granty said:

Can these be replaced or is it new motor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found this, BARGAIN http://m.ebay.com/itm/HPI-1-10-Bullet-MT-ST-FLUX-MMH-4000kV-BRUSHLESS-MOTOR-4-Pole-Lead-EMH-3S-esc-/371145995389?nav=SEARCH

Should work out less than £40 shipped! Dollar are usually very good/reliable btw :)

Edited by J.A.Son
typo

2 hours ago, TopGun26 said:

Might be good for a prepared Tarmac track, but I would pass on this for any type of rally/ bashing. Not sure why an "on road/ speed run" chassis would be "optimized" for jumping anyways. Some added rear weight bias for on road yes, but jumping? Stock layout is fine for jumps, just stay on the throttle to keep the nose up.

The centre brace is needed to reduce flex that comes with a CF chassis plate. Keep in mind even the stock set up benefits from metal front and rear braces... and it already has way less flex than a CF CP would. 

No wet conditions either with the rx up front and no box. Servo mounts are gimmicky as the stock mount is more than adequate. The layout limits batt size as well.

Just my opinion of course.

Additionally, I wonder why Exotech CF shock towers cost twice as much as HPI, GPM or Integy CF towers... must be very special indeed. ;) 

Edited by Hotshot888
  • Like 1

One last thought, aside from removing the rx box and guards (which you can do with a stock set up anyways) how much weight is saved? One might think the weight savings would be listed. Not debating weather or not it's lighter, it should be due to the CF alone, but by how much for a $165 + shipping/ duty (for many of us) investment?

I agree, Carbon fibre would have to be used exclusively on smooth tarmac, forget bashing off-road. There's alot of WR8 owners out there doing "speed runs" so this conversion is aimed at them. Exotek must know this and have chosen to invest in producing such a conversion with the believe they will get a good return for their effort since there are many posted speed run videos on youtube. But their conversion kits has always been overpriced! I must admit the shock towers caught my attention as the extra mounting holes could be useful for tarmac rally setup, up until now I've used the kit included droop screws but it's a PITA to measure the ride height at all four corners to make sure they're all equal. Repositioning the top shock mount should make on-road/off-road changes much easier =)

Edited by TopGun26
  • Like 1

Hey Sonic,

Pretty quick run man! 

A couple things I noticed, (from what I can see) your suspension seems a bit stiff, maybe try some thinner shock oil, should help eat up any bumps/ inconsistencies better, at that speed even a pebble can act like a jump.

Also I would highly recommend you consider investing in some adjustable upper arms. Pretty important if you play with ride height (at all). In fact, not including them was hands down HPIs biggest fail with regards to this car.

Just a thought. ;)

Edited by Hotshot888
  • Like 2

On 30/11/2015, 12:00:16, J.A.Son said:

I've not seen a rebuild kit specifically for the flux 4000kv and now that castle have discontinued their rebuild kits you can no longer slap a 5mm 1210 rebuild shaft in there :(

Best bet is a complete new motor from a US breaker, around £45-£50 delivered. I have one on the shelf, just in case, cost £38 from dollar hobbies- albeit nearly 2 years ago. Fortunately I've not needed it- yet!

What with hpi doing cvd's it's great to see (finally!) more after market support for the wr8 :) Not sure about bolt-on front kick up though :/

Thanks! I've only just seen the replies, didnt get notified :/

I missed out on the Dollarhobbyz, its just sat around doing nothing at the moment. Any one know any good other motors to replace it with?

3 hours ago, granty said:

Thanks! I've only just seen the replies, didnt get notified :/

I missed out on the Dollarhobbyz, its just sat around doing nothing at the moment. Any one know any good other motors to replace it with?

You could get the castle 2650kv combo :bounce: