• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything WR8

Dexter_ST

I just changed the tx and rx in my WR8 since my transmitter broke and I snapped the wire on my receiver, since doing that my car keeps stopping and then going again once it gets a bit further away. It will run quite happy close by but as soon as it goes about 20 meters or so away it will randomly stop for 20 seconds or so and then start going again even if you don't walk closer to the car. Is there something else other than binding the two together that needs done? Both the tx and rx are second hand so I am wondering if there is a problem with one of them. If I have to get new radio gear does any one have any suggestions for an upgrade? I have the TF 40 gear in it just now

I'm looking into some alternative wheels but getting a little confused, can anyone tell me what is the outside diameter of the standard tyres are please?

That's the answer I was looking for thanks hotshot, there's quite a few interesting looking options with a similar rolling radius to the standard wr8 ones. I'll post some links and things once I've finished doing my 'homework'

ive had a look around and all the specs lists miss weight off it seems. I have built up chassis with no wheels or shell that I could probably weigh on the Mrs scales if you need?

Anyone here own a Kyosho DRX and a WR8?

Keep thinking about getting another rally car to go with my WR8, just wondering how they compare.

Hey Syncro, I have not owned one but my friend ran a DRX for awhile. I was considering it before going with the WR8. It has two perks over the WR8; it's a bit bigger and bodies are very scale looking. Thing is, out of the box stock it's just not as fun, no question. IMO the WR8 is just as capable off road (probably better at speed) way better on road, jumps better and is tougher and faster. The DRX's stock gearing is for lower "more scale" speed, but in reality this translates to boring. I like to think of it this way; a stock DRX is very rally-ish (325hp), the stock WR8 is more Gymmy (650hp). You can always slow/gear the WR8 down. That being said, the DRX is a good rally car, but I don't think it offers as much value as the HPI.

Since you have so many RC cars you might consider something different as your next rally buy, it's crazy pricey but...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrtlwgBa_4

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOS05007

Edited by Hotshot888

Hey Syncro, I have not owned one but my friend ran a DRX for awhile. I was considering it before going with the WR8. It has two perks over the WR8; it's a bit bigger and bodies are very scale looking. Thing is, out of the box stock it's just not as fun, no question. IMO the WR8 is just as capable off road (probably better at speed) way better on road, jumps better and is tougher and faster. The DRX's stock gearing is for lower "more scale" speed, but in reality this translates to boring. I like to think of it this way; a stock DRX is very rally-ish (325hp), the stock WR8 is more Gymmy (650hp). You can always slow/gear the WR8 down. That being said, the DRX is a good rally car, but I don't think it offers as much value as the HPI.

Since you have so many RC cars you might consider something different as your next rally buy, it's crazy pricey but...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TxrtlwgBa_4

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOS05007

Well that tells me all I wanted to know to be honest.

If at best it's only as good as a WR8, seems a bit pointless.

Thanks for that.

I like to think of it this way; a stock DRX is very rally-ish (325hp), the stock WR8 is more Gymmy (650hp). You can always slow/gear the WR8 down.

Haha well said ;-) when talking about the WR8 I've described in it the same way. Especially with the stock gymkhana tires on it.

It will stick to the ground and if you push it hard enough it will try to rip it out from underneath the chassis ;-)

Watch any of the Ken Block gymkhana short films and that is pretty much what it feel like to drive the WR8.

Edited by Mgozzz
  • Like 1

Syncro, I was in the same spot as you as far as wanting a second rally, in the end I've decided to go with a second WR8 (I am actually in process of piecing it together from spares, just need to order a few bits). Four main factors went into my decision; I absolutely love my first WR8. Having two of the same model is always good for parts/ spares. I can have two distinct set ups (a dedicated off road set up and a dedicated on road set up, for example). Lastly, my son is now old enough and starting to show some interest in RC so it won't hurt to have a spare for him to run. :)

• Like 1

Hey Mike, here's another few shots of the new RS4 flux, scroll down to see the "full option" pics.

http://www.rc-news.de/01/2015/spielwarenmesse-2015-hpi-rs4-sport-3-tourenwagen-chassis/

Of interest is the way the (sealed) drive shaft is accessed from underneath the chassis.

https://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/114343

Might make a good rally car... for super scale terrain, of course. So many 1/10 bodies to choose from.... ;)

Edited by Hotshot888
  • Like 1

Does anybody have a part number for the screws in the diff that usually need drilled out? The diagram shows them as being 107873 but I cant find any listed under this number :(

The replacements I used were m2.5 x 10. I could not find the mythical HPI part number so I ordered some Team Associated phillips head screws. They worked out great.

The replacements I used were m2.5 x 10. I could not find the mythical HPI part number so I ordered some Team Associated phillips head screws. They worked out great.

Thats great! Thanks I will search for those now. Its strange that the part number doesn't seem to exsist, i have even looked at the diagrams for the newer WR8 to see if the numbers have changed at all, and they still list that part number?

No problem. I don't get it either, it seems like it would be an important part to stock. Maybe it was just and oversight with all the crazy supplier/distributer restructuring.

Yeah maybe it was an over sight, although I would have thought they would update the exploded diagrams avalible on the website with an alternative part number. Not to worry I have the screws ordered now :)

I've just dug a receipt out as I ordered a set the other week. Front and rear are Hpi 107375. Center screws are different.

Great thanks, I will keep a note of this for future rebuilds.

I know some of you guys are/have run some of the fastrax arrows on yours, if you've got some to hand could you tell me the rolling diameter with tyres on please

Well I've been to the lhs this morning for some bits for my trophy flux and whilst I was there measured them. 65mm outer tyre diameter for future reference.

Anyone got any links for a new motor? That's next on the cards :-D