• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Revo Vantage Carbon Rebuild

Andythecrane

Stripped out the Buku Clutch, and it looks like the flywheel has spun on the brass collet.

Probably the nut was not tight enough. oops.

Also had a damaged thread on the Big Block Mount, due to over tightening (damn these man hands).

Re-tapped it and a longer bolt seems to have saved it.

After 3 rebuilds of the flywheel, and 2 collets, i have sussed out the problem i was having.

I was needing a shim behind the nut so i didnt use up all the threads.

Side Note: The Buku Clutch is so easy to disassemble right down to its component parts. No special tools required. And the build up is as easy, no special tools.

And now it rips, just a wheelie machine which has got boring very quickly.

On my purchase list now is a 17t clutch bell, to try and dampen the front end.

• Like 1

Wheelie yeah their sweet for a short time I want to calm that down but still be able to when I want them a centre diff would kill wheelies but I don't like that option and those cd are disposable too.

Gutted for you stripping a screw on the mount tho mate which one was it I hope I can avoid that altho right now I think ill be putting the picco back in for abit cos of the pipe issue plus picco 26 fetch nothing on ebay now so mayaswel run mine to death slowly getting the things needed to do it all in one.

I wonder if rcbadaz would sell replacement mount bricks they look simple enough and shouldn't cost much for spares. Are these mounts adjustable too im sure I read they are and the screws that go through side ways if they was longer with washers it should strech it out towards the arm if ever needed I doubt it. But im sure I resd or saw vids saying there adjustable.

I think your right the mounts were adjustable. But ykus needs to take up a lot of space.

I was lucky with the stripped thread. On the side of the mount that has the throttle linkage you need longer bolts. I would have preferred if the mount holes were drilled and tapped all the way through.

But like I said earlier, I was lucky I retapped the hole this time all the way through. And with the now longer bolt everything is feeling good.

The other thing I was contemplating was lock the box in second, that would cure the front end lift.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear you've got it sorted out.

Would locking the box in second not pass more wear onto the clutch as it's having to work harder starting off in a higher gear? Have you tried adjusting the shift point for second gear? Make it change a bit earlier?

I've shelved the locking the box idea, and just wait till more bits arrive, i think.

I have emailed Buku to ask a question of the flywheel collet spec, since i encountered a few issues.

I have had the head off the engine as well to have a look inside, and i was surprised to see it is a 5 port.

Gave it a quick blast with compressed air,and a wipe with a cloth and put it back together again.

lovin it....

Pull start issues;

IMG_20140628_164857_zpsiyjlheoa.jpg

The OWB looks ok, Gave it a good wash out, and re-oiled with 3in1 oil.

The start shaft looks fine to no obvious wear.

IMG_20140628_162205_zpskcqmsv7f.jpg

IMG_20140628_162154_zpsm9pn9pve.jpg

just noticed part numbers on the end of the bearing, but i cant see them well enough.

( damn you old age )

• 3 weeks later...

Roto-start fitted like a dream, bought the matching drill.

And away we go....

IMG_20140720_115115_zpstc20wxzz.jpg

After a good mornings bashing;

IMG_20140720_123831_zpscvnvnouu.jpg

And the main reason i packed up early;

IMG_20140720_123845_zpsosixkxv3.jpg

• Like 1

How did it run? 

how was it with the big block engine in? This must be the dirtiest picture I have seen of this truck...

what wheels and tyres are those? They look like Axial 40 series?

It runs fantastic. Now with 17/40 gearing, and it still lifts the front end.

I think I will try and back off the slipper by an hour and see if that helps.

Also I noticed that the trigger on the handset is very sensitive. Need to look into that next.

Yes you are right, the wheels and tyres are axail. I don't know if they are 40 series, but they are wide.

It runs fantastic. Now with 17/40 gearing, and it still lifts the front end.

I think I will try and back off the slipper by an hour and see if that helps.

Also I noticed that the trigger on the handset is very sensitive. Need to look into that next.

Yes you are right, the wheels and tyres are axail. I don't know if they are 40 series, but they are wide.

Video? 

I read back through the thread - Axial cubes on chrome wheels  - looks like the axial 8 spokes. I got some from end of line rc - the tyres are

With 17/38 gearing it was still a wheelly machine. In the Flysky setting there is a facility to adjust the sensitivity. It was set at 100%.

It is now at 10%. It makes the revo more livable and enjoyable, especially if you have a heavy trigger finger.

Last thing to do now is decide on a new body. And colour.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth.

Work has been mega busy. I am on a wind farm just now, and the weather has been good so the turbines are going up easily.

You must be close to receiving your Revo?

I have a wish list on Modelsport for a new body, but I haven't pushed the buy button yet.

Maybe I should so at least the stuff is here for me.