• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Revo Vantage Carbon Rebuild

Andythecrane

I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth.

Work has been mega busy. I am on a wind farm just now, and the weather has been good so the turbines are going up easily.

You must be close to receiving your Revo?

I have a wish list on Modelsport for a new body, but I haven't pushed the buy button yet.

Maybe I should so at least the stuff is here for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Good to hear you're busy at work  :thumbsup:

My Revo has had to be put back a little, had to spend more money on the 1:1 car, getting fed-up with it now so ended up trading it today and pick up a new car in a week  :xd: I won't say what it is as you might have a giggle  :tease:

I nearly orderd a raptor last night

• Like 1

What a nice day it has been, made sure all batteries were charged, opened up a new can of fuel. Primed the motor.

And it was struggling to start, then i noticed the roto-start back plate was melting at the worm gear.

Stripped it down to find a seized bearing on the worm gear.

I will have to start a new shopping list.

Thanks for the offer, they are tiny bearings.

5x8x2.5

And I have ordered rubber shielded replacements from rc bearings.

I had to get the dremmel out to cut of the seized bearing.

When the new ones arrive I will open them up and pack them with grease.

Also ordered new casings for the roto start.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_20141018_144735_zpslddqyakk.jpg

IMG_20141018_144727_zpsct2zkk18.jpg

IMG_20141018_144713_zpsf11cs3sn.jpg

IMG_20141018_144842_zpspiqect80.jpg

I think with the original metal shielded bearings, the moisture got in easily and siezed them up.

IMG_20141018_144743_zps6auvdqal.jpg

Received a delivery of new parts.

IMG_20141018_144756_zpss0fexvgk.jpg

I bought new bearings. This time i got rubber shielded. Opened them up, and packed them with grease.

Built up the Roto-Start back plate with plenty of waterproof grease and gasket sealer.

The engine turned over much, much easier. I put new fuel in the tank and taken it for a run.

I've just noticed in your shocks the little blue rubber ring is mounted outside the lower spring cap between the eyelet, I thought these were bump stops and just floated between the shock body and spring collar, inside the spring?

Can you clarify, I'm new to revos and just stripped cleaned and refilled with 50wt oil, I put them back together the way they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by abarth_1200

I've just noticed in your shocks the little blue rubber ring is mounted outside the lower spring cap between the eyelet, I thought these were bump stops and just floated between the shock body and spring collar, inside the spring?

Can you clarify, I'm new to revos and just stripped cleaned and refilled with 50wt oil, I put them back together the way they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see what you mean,

I just re-assembled the shocks they same way i stripped them.

I will have to look at the traxxas diagram.

• 1 year later...

Its been a while since i have updated this thread.

The XTM engine failed a while ago, and the Revo sat on a shelf for over a year while i pondered its next engine.

Should i go brushless, or should i keep it nitro.

IMG_20160417_085827_zpsz5vgepv1.jpg

IMG_20160417_085852_zps1yyg63u1.jpg

The engine has been stripped, cleaned, lubricated, greased and sealed.

So far the quality seems good, the internals were clean, and compression is good.

• Like 1

i would definitely keep it nitro Andy, just had a quick go on mine and ut kept stalling whenever i tried starting it so had a quick look at the carb and it was at about 1-2 mm so leaned the lsn abit and it was fine after that. not been tuning a nitro for awhile as been using brushless. nitro is perfect for summer imo