• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

mac star .28 factory settings in manual are different to factory set needles on car ?

bigjohn71

i just checked where my needles are on the car by turning them shut and counting how many turns untill there all closed and they are this hsn was 2.5 turns and lsn was 4, now in the manual its states hsn is 4.5 turns and lsn 2.5, so this really is my issue i started the car on its first tank and seamed very erratic which again with these factory set needles the engine sounds far to lean and kept stalling has anybody else had this problem

i just checked where my needles are on the car by turning them shut and counting how many turns untill there all closed and they are this hsn was 2.5 turns and lsn was 4, now in the manual its states hsn is 4.5 turns and lsn 2.5, so this really is my issue i started the car on its first tank and seamed very erratic which again with these factory set needles the engine sounds far to lean and kept stalling has anybody else had this problem

Personally I would say the HSN at 2.5 is lean for this weather and a new engine but 4 I would think too rich. Remember it is always better to be rich than lean. I would start at 3.5 for the HSN....and would probably find it way too rich and go with 3...If you look closely at the pictures in the manual ( http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/diagrams/HoBao/Engines/HB_Engine_settings_MacStar_28.pdf ) it seems to me that the HSN is not at 4.5 turns.

The LSN I never wind all the way in and only refer to "from flush"...I think 0.5-1mm out would be where mine would be...

More importantly for a new engine (especially this weather) is to ensure it is warm enough before starting and when running. New engines are tight and are best ran at near to operating temperatures to avoid excessive wear....heat it before starting and do not be frightened to wrap some foil around the head.

Personally I would say the HSN at 2.5 is lean for this weather and a new engine but 4 I would think too rich. Remember it is always better to be rich than lean. I would start at 3.5 for the HSN....and would probably find it way too rich and go with 3...If you look closely at the pictures in the manual ( http://www.cmldistri..._MacStar_28.pdf ) it seems to me that the HSN is not at 4.5 turns.

The LSN I never wind all the way in and only refer to "from flush"...I think 0.5-1mm out would be where mine would be...

More importantly for a new engine (especially this weather) is to ensure it is warm enough before starting and when running. New engines are tight and are best ran at near to operating temperatures to avoid excessive wear....heat it before starting and do not be frightened to wrap some foil around the head.

i have the same manual if you read it properly it says from factory settings turn the hsn 4.5 times!!

Main Needle Valve (MNV)

Screw down until resistance is met, and no further movement is apparent.

RE-OPEN 4.5 FULL TURNS

Edited by bigjohn71

i have the same manual if you read it properly it says from factory settings turn the hsn 4.5 times!!

:) Yes. Look at the picture they give and then compare to how 4.5 turns looks for you.

:) Yes. Look at the picture they give and then compare to how 4.5 turns looks for you.

yeah to be honest i think the settings on the car and manual from hobao dont sing from the same hym sheet lol, for them to supply you with a

i today found that 4 turns of both needles from closed seamed to work it was ticking over really nice with plenty of oil spitting out

Yes, I read in another thread you had got it running...my settings were still lean for this weather eh.

Yes, I read in another thread you had got it running...my settings were still lean for this weather eh.

well i did it all today so didnt try your settings but as i go through more tanks i will be reducing the richness a little at a time until its ready for a full tune :thumbsup:

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, J Adams said:

Does anybody know why when resting my lsn bottoms out and I don't get resistance 

Do you mean the lsn is very easy to adjust, which would indicate orings are worn or damaged. If there is little resistance when turning then it will move from the desired position when running.

• 4 weeks later...