• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rust effects on bodyshell

Randum

I am hopefully getting a proline 1992 jeep cherokee crawler shell for Christmas and was hoping to do a greeny colour with rust patches. The way I am thinking at the moment is to spray the green as normal and then sand off patches where I want rust and then spray over with a copper colour but not solid and then a coat of black. Followed by a Clear Matt finish on outside of shell. Does this sound about right or has anyone got any better ideas. It will be my second shell spray and will be using spray cans. So nothing too technical if possible

Edited by Randum

what about using some sort of glue/mounting putty to lump the area you want to be rusty only by 1mm so its rough then paint that before painting with the main colour.

then on that colour put some grease very little obviously then wipe it off but dont clean it but making sure you dont get any on the rest of the shell then spray the main colour.

then when its dry pick the paint on the area so it flakes off like a proper rust spot on a car.might be worth a try and would look really good if you get it right,

look on ebay and plastic model shops you will find weathering paints and powders mate specifically for this job ;) , thye bare mainly used for military static models , also warming areas of the shell up and pressing them in or scratching it with somethinf bluntish will make some dents and stuff too ;)

Edited by mixmasterjay

Hmmm. Will look into it guys. Thanks for the ideas I don't want a shiny finish at all as I want it look faded slightly but not like really old and hammered. Might see if I can get a clear sheet of lexan and try a few method and see which one gives the best look

Rc sparks / dj medic2008 on youtube did a painting tutorial thingy on a trailfinder 2 hilux body, did rust holes, patchy paint and scraps and dents aswell, was good to watch with a lot of useful tips worth having a look

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL62E007B02BCD0E4D#/watch?feature=plpp&v=R2eT5YbaHFY

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL62E007B02BCD0E4D#/watch?feature=plpp&v=oHx0f5GN0hw

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL62E007B02BCD0E4D#/watch?feature=plpp&v=t_Z1a81bTL4