• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sales... who, when, where?

jari

Christmas coming up... which means there will be sales. Depending on how desperate retailers are these might be before Christmas. I used to be into wine in a modestly serious way (before children and before Chinese drinking Lafite with Coke pushed prices into orbit). Wine retailers were totally predictable in who had the good sales and when. Wondering if it is the same with RC,

So my question is simple.

Who does the best sales?

When ? - e.g. boxing day?

There is the pinned "super duper recession busting thread" in this forum. Start there? Anyone keep it up to date?

I'm itching for a new project or build and can't decide what! So I've been putting it off. So close to Christmas now that I might as well see what bargains might come up. Choices are either:

- grab something nitro off ebay and build a more bash resistant buggy than my current car. Something to survive me or son driving into trees and curbs

- as above but monster truck

- something to satisfy the "build kit from new" urge -e.g. something like the Ansmann X2 on MSUK (at

• Like 1

Basically....don't expect sales to snag yo ua bargain. Isn;t really going to happen.

The margins on RC sellers is tight, and they don;t make much on them to start with. Means discounting is a sure fire way to go out of business. The volume of sales isn't high enough to allow flexibility on the margins.

What you will see is cars that have proved very hard to shift being discounted to shift the stock, but as you can see from looking at MSUK's site, they already sell most items well below manufacturers RRP. Your best chance of a bargain is by careful choosing....not by waiting for a sale to pop up.

The Yanks have their 'black monday' sales to boost sales figures, but there RC market is very different to ours.

@nitro

Thanks - I hadn't really thought about volume of sales and margins. i guess this is really quite a low volume business. so in other words if it is already on sale it's not going to get any cheaper. and yes MSUK does seem to put a lot of stuff out cheaper than rrp.

Of course having snapped both new wing mounts off my buggy today... :( It was only a teeny, tiny little roll really. the real trick must be buying the right car/motor/etc in the first place.

Think my choice of car needs changing to something more substantial! spending too much time fixing at the moment.