• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Should I bite the bullet and get a Revo VXL(Merv)

JFS666

19 members have voted

1. 1. To Merv or not to Merv?

• GET ONE !!!
    • Leave it in the shop!!!

I have been been looking at these little things for over a year now. Santa's pockets can just about manage with this one but any one got a reason why i should or shouldn't buy one ???

For now i would use the NiMh that comes with it. Lipo's will be tried later down the line!

What are the pros and cons of the Merv out of the box? (I'm looking for owners opinions on the out of the box performance as i know it's waterproof and fast with lots of upgrades and stuff you can do to it)

Owned one, was fun for a month, then the fiddley maintenance, overpriced tiny parts, stripping diffs and crappy electronics put me off.

I would consider one again IF I was feeling patient and had a decent budget. They need a lot doing to them if you want to run 3S regularly.

With NiMH, they are boring.

I would sell your nitro gear from your Hyper and convert that with the

The Hyper and 8-T are staying Nitro. if i do go down the Brushless route it'll be with something new(to me). From seeing a brushless buggy V's a nitro one the brushless was hopeless! my nitro's have out performed all brushless systems they have seen and i haven't even given them a real challenge it was Hyper v's TT EB4 G3 (4cell) and my Muggy against a GV Cage with a top end (wouldn't be told what it was) brushless system again on 4S.

The Hyper and 8-T are staying Nitro. if i do go down the Brushless route it'll be with something new(to me). From seeing a brushless buggy V's a nitro one the brushless was hopeless! my nitro's have out performed all brushless systems they have seen and i haven't even given them a real challenge it was Hyper v's TT EB4 G3 (4cell) and my Muggy against a GV Cage with a top end (wouldn't be told what it was) brushless system again on 4S.

lol, then you really haven't seen what brushless is capable of.

Can your nitro make all the tires explode, or do wheelies at practically any speed.. in a buggy! ;)

Some brushless systems arent up to much, as nitros arent exactly slow, but a good 2000kv 3-5hp motor on 5S or 6S will blow away any nitro.

Yer but it's water proof and looks like a laugh for those days where i can't be bothered with taking lots of nitro stuff. i can pop in two batteries all i got to do is plug them in a turn it on!

What i get from that is "Jamie get a Pro Truggy roller and put the 454 from the 8T into it with some nice servo's from your Christmas money!" Is That what your thinking ???

Dan knows the score, stay nitro I had a quick, expensive fling with electric and yes it was stupid fast and would out run any nitro but it was no more easy to maintain then nitro and nitro for me is a lot more fun to drive

• Like 1

I switched from Nitro to Electric due to the re-tuning, mess and noise restriction on bashing spots and haven't looked back.

There's no need to be exclusive though, neither is strictly better.

The Merv is a fun little truck, if you want to throw it in a backpack and have a quick run whenever you want then it's ideal.

Only restriction is length of grass or size of rocks etc.

I bought the Brushed version for

Go straight for the brushless, ive had one since june/july from modelsport and they are brilliant out of the box and take an awfull lot of abuse i run 2s in parallel loads of run time and lots of flippin wheely fun!!! Got mine from modelsport you wont be dissapointed

Edited by sean-vrs

Hey

I had the MERV for about a month and after the diffs etc strip it just becomes a chore mate, don't get me wrong it is a BLAST to drive! but it is really expensive to keep going. I managed to strip at least 3 diffs in a month and that was when they were shimmed!

Just my input :)

I'm with Revorocks on the brushless hyper idea and tbh I've never seen any nitro that will stay with any of my leccy cars and also from experience the merv is fragile as egg shells but by now my opinion is a moot point

So what did you go with in the end ?

I think the option now is an Agama A8T with Argus .23 and Savox servo's running on some Pro-lines!

I will use this for pure racing and turn my 8-T into a basher/back up track truggy.

As for the Nitro V's brushless thing. I'm Nitro all day everyday. i haven't seen anything from brushless i can't get from Nitro plus there is the noise and smell of nitro that i love.